Sponsored by:

RS and the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS and the track

I don't know that I've seen much discussion, but do others think that the "collectability" and premium prices for the RS and RS before (esp. 4.0) will greatly reduce their use on the track. I personally have to think so. I have enough trepidation about tracking my $140K "bargain," but if I just got through paying a premium over $200K for my RS, I would be much more hesitant. In fact, for the delta between my plebian GT3 and the RS I can and do own a Radical SR8 that give me way less heartburn when the inevitable sub-optimal even occurs on track.

To each their own of course, but I actually think collectability is a bit of a bane on these cars, as it keeps them from the environment they were designed for.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:57 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Every owner is perfectly entitled to make a personal decision here or course. For me, I am bringing it to tracks right away. The experience is more important than the financial risk.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM
gt2urbo
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with Ronan . I bought these cars to have fun with . The street doesn't get it done. im perfectly comfortable tracking my porsche street cars and speciale. I have had training and have raced in a cup. it's about confidence in your ability to keep the car in control. I suggest getting training and then it won't seem so bad .
Old 08-26-2015, 02:47 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
In fact, for the delta between my plebian GT3 and the RS I can and do own a Radical SR8 that give me way less heartburn when the inevitable sub-optimal even occurs on track.
I am interested to hear your take on the SR8 including purchase and operating costs. I see used ones for sale occasionally which gets me thinking. I have seen and been passed by one at COTA, and the speed was impressive!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

The SR8 is expensive - I DIY most everything and budget about $1000/hour to run it with tires and consumables and amortized engine and gearbox overhaul. But no street car or Cup car comes close. It's hysterical how much faster the SR8 is than a fendered car and when I really want to charge around at warp speed, it is the fastest thing I've been in (e.g. 2:09 at COTA).

Back to the topic, though, I've had plenty of training, but when I get on track I tend to fling the car pretty hard and track rash is just plain inevitable. The basic GT3 seems to see a high percentage of track use, but I doubt that will be the case for the RS. Maybe the extra $50 K or more is irrelevant to some, but I have to think it puts more RS's than GT3s in garages and Cars and Coffee than on track.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
Agree with Ronan . I bought these cars to have fun with . The street doesn't get it done. im perfectly comfortable tracking my porsche street cars and speciale. I have had training and have raced in a cup. it's about confidence in your ability to keep the car in control. I suggest getting training and then it won't seem so bad .
It's not the training, it's the cost. Kudos to you, but my race budget puts me in an SRF and makes me somewhat sanguine about tracking street cars. Putting aside the inevitable track rash, the mere disclosure of significant track use of a Speciale is likely to be very hard on its value. I'd had a few Ferraris and if you even drive them people are finicky!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I like tracking a car that I can beat on and not take a big value hit. I don't plan on track mine, if values are where they are now it'll probably get sold pretty quickly. Planning on adding a radical to my 3.8L Cayman next year assuming I can figure out a comfortable driving position. Tried one last year without luck, but didn't have enough time to really dial it in.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:37 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Have an RS coming at MSRP. Will be tracking it for fun.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I tracked my 07 RS and my '10 RS now in the hands of a happy Rennlister. I will track my new one which arrives next week! Way cheaper to buy than a cup car and much cheaper to run. No need for a truck and trailer either.

The RS is a track car like the Speciale or Scuderia. None are cheap but they are all most rewarding when circuit driven.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:12 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default RS and the track

Tracking the 3. Will track the RS. Not only is it the very purpose of the car - having fun - but I find it makes street driving more pleasurable...

Costly? Yep but I ain't takin' any of it with me when it's over. So living in the moment. If I need a Subaru, I'll buy a Subaru!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Planning to track mine but perhaps not as aggressively as the GT3 for the reasons you just highlighted, Keith. Glad to hear that someone with your ability and experience still has fun off track, even though it is rare for you!!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

I'm planning to occasionally track RS if/when I get one. Occasionally only because I'm planning to get a more dedicated track/race car or do arrive and drive racing. But I definitely see the price becoming a factor in how freely I drive it. Maybe it's a good thing - after all it does not have full cage or fire suppression, so by trying to be careful with this valuable asset I may be protecting something even more valuable too.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If one were to yard sale an RS, not to mention PTS, it would be very difficult to find another with similar specs and it would likely cost way over $200K.

Last edited by consolidated; 08-27-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:20 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So at what price point do you say, I will only track it, (if at all) when it's less than .........?

Last edited by bronson7; 08-27-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I don't know that I've seen much discussion, but do others think that the "collectability" and premium prices for the RS and RS before (esp. 4.0) will greatly reduce their use on the track. I personally have to think so. I have enough trepidation about tracking my $140K "bargain," but if I just got through paying a premium over $200K for my RS, I would be much more hesitant. In fact, for the delta between my plebian GT3 and the RS I can and do own a Radical SR8 that give me way less heartburn when the inevitable sub-optimal even occurs on track.

To each their own of course, but I actually think collectability is a bit of a bane on these cars, as it keeps them from the environment they were designed for.
A very good point.

A big issue with tracking these cars is to incorporate the appropriate safety mods like a HALO seat, cage/rollbar, which allow you to run 6 point belts, HANS, etc. As long as those mods are reversible I would't worry about losing value. To find the real potential of these cars safely, you SHOULD go to the track.

Money aside - The real issue is about replaceability of a very limited production car, if you end up crashing it due to driver error or because somebody else dropped coolant or oil in front of you.

Quick Reply: RS and the track