Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5-point harness with 18-ways?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the LWB's available through dealer parts? Last time I asked they weren't. Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

Why?
From what I understand, the thorax airbags (after deployment) can make removing the harnesses difficult (even after being unlatched from the buckle). Which can be an issue if, say, your car is on fire.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
From what I understand, the thorax airbags (after deployment) can make removing the harnesses difficult (even after being unlatched from the buckle). Which can be an issue if, say, your car is on fire.
I suppose that's possible, but in a crash, rapid deceleration is a certainty, whereas fire is relatively unlikely, so I personally would rather have the help of the airbags to reduce deceleration, especially with the LWBs, since they aren't really full track seats with ample lateral leg/torso/arm restraint, halos, etc.

If you have links to further info, I'd appreciate them.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I suppose that's possible, but in a crash, rapid deceleration is a certainty, whereas fire is relatively unlikely, so I personally would rather have the help of the airbags to reduce deceleration, especially with the LWBs, since they aren't really full track seats with ample lateral leg/torso/arm restraint, halos, etc.

If you have links to further info, I'd appreciate them.
Unfortunately, I do not have links, just from what I understand in speaking with others.

But as to deceleration, isn't that what the harnesses are for? Wouldn't the airbags be redundant?

In any event, I hope I never have to found out one way or the other.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Unfortunately, I do not have links, just from what I understand in speaking with others.

But as to deceleration, isn't that what the harnesses are for? Wouldn't the airbags be redundant?

In any event, I hope I never have to found out one way or the other.
Test and crash data indicates that you want the harnesses to be relatively tight and not overly flexible, so that you decelerate mainly with the car as it crushes, otherwise there can be a 'dynamic overshoot' effect where the decel of the driver is worse than the decel of the car. Even then, it's true that the harnesses do stretch quite a bit in a bad crash.

Certainly agree on the last point!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 510 Posts

I've experienced a crash with a 7 point harness, Hans and a race bucket. I forgot to disconnect the airbag so I got to see it deploy. It did nothing. It stopped a few inches in front of my face. Should have had a big $ on it.

Quick Reply: 5-point harness with 18-ways?