Sponsored by:

My Take on Sharkwerks vs. GMG Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Matt (Money) is the King. Keep up the great informative videos.
Agree, I like Matts posts and videos.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by easy888
James,

Thanks for the clarification. If the center bypass doesn't add any power, then does the muffler delete? I know it saves on weight but I'm more interested in power and torque gains (if that's even possible).

By the way, say "hello" to Mrs. Sonofras. I ran into her at a Chevron gas station in Torrance a little while back where she paid a nice compliment to my 997TT. When she mentioned who her husband was (you), it reminded me to look into an exhaust system/solution for my GT3. GMG had been on the short list of consideration but I've been so busy. Hell I only have 750 miles on the GT3 since I picked it up last Nov.
I think muffler deletes may add a few HP but it's marginal without a proper tune, which will get you the most gains possible. But you will lose considerable weight when replacing the Center Section and side mufflers....and off the back side of a 911, that is always a plus.

I will let her know you said hi!

Cheers,

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

If you look at Akra's sport cup exhaust is loses some down low, gains a bunch in the mid range, and is negligible at higher RPMs. A friend of mine has this with the Akra headers and he says it doesn't drone at all.

http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapov...8916e46600.pdf

Last edited by Money2536; 08-25-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:59 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Matt, your videos are informative and helpful. Don't let any trolls convince you otherwise.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 PM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
I think muffler deletes may add a few HP but it's marginal without a proper tune, which will get you the most gains possible. But you will lose considerable weight when replacing the Center Section and side mufflers....and off the back side of a 911, that is always a plus.

I will let her know you said hi!

Cheers,
James,

Thanks again for your response.

Does the muffler delete and center delete combination lose any low end torque? It seems the opening/shutting of the valves maximize the torque on the GT3, but the deletes would negate the valves which in turn affect the low end torque negatively?

Matt,

I echo others. Very informative and appreciated.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Appreciate the videos...I have tried the GMG, RSS, and sharkys twice on a few different GT3's. It seems to come down to personal preference but will say the GMG does sound wicked at WOT.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
In the photos below you can see how the factory muffler attaches to the H-Bracket.

The SW has a square bracket that butts up against that bracket and then ties with supplied bands to it. The new version of the SW actually has a larger bracket. My guess would be so that it attaches to bolt parts of the "H." I would think the original version of the SW bypass was the same thing as the 997 and the guys at SW created an updated version for the 991.

The GMG doesn't attach to the H-bracket. It just floats. The accu-seal clamps, when torqued hold the bypass in place. The top (valved) outlets of the side mufflers have that flex section, so if you wiggle on the tips of the GMG, it moves. Maybe James can make more accurate comments on the methodology. Chris Smith floated his to reduce the possibility for vibration through the chassis.

I didn't take a photo of the GMG, but the CSR mounts similarly.

Ahhh...got it. Thanks Matt!

And F the douche bags. Not sure how your reviews are nothing but helpful. And hey, if you want to spend your time doing it, who's it hurting??
I say keep doing what your doing for as long as you can.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:10 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt, Test Jet is obviously nothing but a troll. Being a paid Member makes him think he's entitled to being a douchebag on here. The truth is, you've brought us the content that brings people to RL which keeps it afloat 100 fold of the few bucks he gave RL so he could have "member" by his name. Also, he's only got 145 posts, how many of them have been useful to anybody? Now compare and contrast to the over 1400+ that you've used to actually give insightful content. Keep doing what you've been doing, if he followed your posts he'd have never made the "Coffee and Croissant" statement because we've all seen your vids, pics and musings including the one going up the smokey mountains with the group that all went up there. That's enjoying your car and sharing your enthusiasm and it is much appreciated. If I was a moderator, I'd have messaged Test Jet and said, you can have your $$ back and get the hell out of here. Differing opinions are welcomed, but trolling is not. He can go back to the Civic forums and do that, but it wont be tolerated here. Then I'd ban him and his IP address.

Anyway, Matt, thank you for your HONEST and GENUINE opinions, often (mostly) with pics and vids to show and support your findings. Hell, you even spent a good amount of money and time dyno'ing and sharing that with us, man, now I'm getting worked up! BTW, you handled his posts with absolute class and a sense of humor, just as you always seem to carry yourself. Much better than I'd have lol I commend you. Thanks again for all you do and keep it up!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Thanks for getting my back guys. My guess is that I'm turning some off that don't get me and understand that many people just like to argue. I'm going to try and use what's constructive and then just brush the rest off. I get that me having a website and YouTube Channel will feel like shameless promotion, but I'm honestly just trying to let others in on the fun I'm having and maybe weesel my way into others' lives that are doing cool stuff that I'm haven't done. I'm guessing me and that guy won't be grabbing lunch swapping car stories anytime soon.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:56 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default My Take on Sharkwerks vs. GMG Bypass

Matt if someone doesn't get you they're not a 911 fan
Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for getting my back guys. My guess is that I'm turning some off that don't get me and understand that many people just like to argue. I'm going to try and use what's constructive and then just brush the rest off. I get that me having a website and YouTube Channel will feel like shameless promotion, but I'm honestly just trying to let others in on the fun I'm having and maybe weesel my way into others' lives that are doing cool stuff that I'm haven't done. I'm guessing me and that guy won't be grabbing lunch swapping car stories anytime soon.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:28 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt- I like the term you used in one of your videos..."kindred spirit". I'm right there with you. Obviously, not everyone is...

So, as you put it... We got your back.

Side note- I've always thought it would be an interesting social experiment to see how internet tough guys / trolls would be if the debate/disagreement/argument/etc...were played out in person. How would their 'tune' change?
In fact, if ever an opportunity arrives... sign me up! I travel a fair amount for work and get all over NA.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Nothing much I can say to you. the majority of new breed porsche owners own a 991 gt3 and are posers, not true enthusiast's. 145 posts means I do not have the time to **** off like you do. Coincidence but the majority are also ignorant millennials.

The poser 991 gt3 owners should stick to posting on 6bling and l4p...

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Matt, Test Jet is obviously nothing but a troll. Being a paid Member makes him think he's entitled to being a douchebag on here. The truth is, you've brought us the content that brings people to RL which keeps it afloat 100 fold of the few bucks he gave RL so he could have "member" by his name. Also, he's only got 145 posts, how many of them have been useful to anybody? Now compare and contrast to the over 1400+ that you've used to actually give insightful content. Keep doing what you've been doing, if he followed your posts he'd have never made the "Coffee and Croissant" statement because we've all seen your vids, pics and musings including the one going up the smokey mountains with the group that all went up there. That's enjoying your car and sharing your enthusiasm and it is much appreciated. If I was a moderator, I'd have messaged Test Jet and said, you can have your $$ back and get the hell out of here. Differing opinions are welcomed, but trolling is not. He can go back to the Civic forums and do that, but it wont be tolerated here. Then I'd ban him and his IP address.

Anyway, Matt, thank you for your HONEST and GENUINE opinions, often (mostly) with pics and vids to show and support your findings. Hell, you even spent a good amount of money and time dyno'ing and sharing that with us, man, now I'm getting worked up! BTW, you handled his posts with absolute class and a sense of humor, just as you always seem to carry yourself. Much better than I'd have lol I commend you. Thanks again for all you do and keep it up!

You are more than welcome to intro yourself anytime when your in the Bay Area. You can see how your social experiment works out for you.

Please take it to a PM.

I am done with this thread...

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Matt- I like the term you used in one of your videos..."kindred spirit". I'm right there with you. Obviously, not everyone is...

So, as you put it... We got your back.

Side note- I've always thought it would be an interesting social experiment to see how internet tough guys / trolls would be if the debate/disagreement/argument/etc...were played out in person. How would their 'tune' change?
In fact, if ever an opportunity arrives... sign me up! I travel a fair amount for work and get all over NA.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Last edited by Money2536; 08-26-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts
Default My Take on Sharkwerks vs. GMG Bypass

I guess we are all posers. We can't all be real enthusiasts like testjet. I feel so inferior. I guess I'll have to give up my GT3.

Quick Reply: My Take on Sharkwerks vs. GMG Bypass