Sponsored by:

Cup style rear wing for the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:08 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Wouldn't that increase on the rear upset the balance on the front?
Winner.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:15 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cup style rear wing for the GT3

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Wouldn't that increase on the rear upset the balance on the front?
We have tested this wing extensively on track and found that it doesn't upset the front. However it does work best of its paired with a Cup splitter instead of the GT3 one.

But you make a good point and that's why we kept the wing at 1.45m width. If it was much wider you would get into issues with the front.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KA MOTORSPORT
But you make a good point and that's why we kept the wing at 1.45m width. If it was much wider you would get into issues with the front.
KA are certainly the experts but several points are confusing to us (or maybe just me). The position of stock GT3 wing is not the most efficient height for downforce or low drag, it does produce downforce but is not as efficient as RS wing height (or cup cars) because of distance off rear deck and up in cleaner less disrupted airflow off car and more air is hitting surface of wing so you get more downforce with less drag at given rake angle. To produce more downforce with your design at stock height it would come either from extending it, widening it (which you didn't do according to your post) or both to give it more airflow footprint or to rake the angle of attack more aggressively which produces substaintially more drag? Do you have any back to back track times vs stock wing at several different tracks? How did you derive a 25% (increase from stock??) downforce?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:45 AM
autoxerGT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

cannot tell from photos but it does not appear to have tail light built in? so track only use?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:24 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Default Cup style rear wing for the GT3

Originally Posted by autoxerGT3
cannot tell from photos but it does not appear to have tail light built in? so track only use?
You can der it netter in this picture...
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2015, 06:25 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Some more detailed
Hey guys.
We finished this new carbon fiber rear wing for the GT3.

Hope you guys like it!!
IMHO, It is a very nice looking wing but its function can be improved considerably.
The lower, convex surface of the wing is the active surface which creates downforce and requires a laminar flow of air which remains attached to the wing.
The Brakelight on the lower surface of your wing (and the standard OEM Wing)
disturbs the airflow and reduces downforce in that area.

The GT3RS Wing and the Crawford Wing has a totally smooth lower surface which does not disrupt laminar flow.

Both of those wings relocate the 3rd Brakelight to an inactive area that will not
interfere with laminar flow and therefore increase the Wings efficiency.

You are also losing effectiveness and blocking rearward vision by mounting it
too low. Both the RS and Crawford Wing are mounted higher, the RS at 47 inches
above the ground only blocking a few top inches of rear window visibility and
the Crawford Wing at 49 inches above the ground not blocking any of the mirror's view through the rear window. I find seeing out the rear window extremely useful
both on the road and the track.

The Crawford Wing contains a mechanism built within the wing so that its
Angle of Attack can be easily changed, thus reducing or increasing the effective
downforce of the Wing with the special tool supplied with the Wing Kit. I don't
see any way that yours can be adjusted beyond the very small range provided by
the standard OEM mounting bolts.

It may be worthwhile for you to fabricate metal or composite mounting pillars with
brake lights mounted, wiring harness, and angle adjustment as Crawford did.
Again, IMHO, a Wing with additional downforce improves the great handling of our GT3s. Test and Reviews by Pro Drivers such as Randy Pobst have noted the snap oversteer of the GT3 when driven at the limit on racetracks and I believe
the Crawford Wing brings the car closer to the incredible handling of my GT3RS.

I run my Gt3's Crawford Wing at 10 degrees up for maximum downforce with my Front and Rear Rollbars remaining in the Center (Neutral) position as delivered OEM from Porsche. if I change Springs, Shocks or Tires and observe undesirable understeer, I have the simple options of flattening the Wings Angle of Attack to reduce downforce or adjusting Front and / or Rear Rollbars to compensate for it.

Since my GT3RS will take a while to break-in, after I return from the Frankfurt Auto Show, I'll be instructing in my GT3 at Daytona, Sebring and Roebling Road during October and will be glad to take you out on any of those Tracks with me. PM me if I can be any help.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ I knew FastLaneTurbo wouldn't be far away to comment on wings .. ;-)
Old 08-25-2015, 11:41 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
IMHO, It is a very nice looking wing but its function can be improved considerably.
The lower, convex surface of the wing is the active surface which creates downforce and requires a laminar flow of air which remains attached to the wing.

The GT3RS Wing and the Crawford Wing has a totally smooth lower surface which does not disrupt laminar flow.

Both of those wings relocate the 3rd Brakelight to an inactive area that will not

the Crawford Wing at 49 inches above the ground not blocking any of the mirror's view through the rear window. I find seeing out the rear window extremely useful

Angle of Attack can be easily changed, thus reducing or increasing the effective

It may be worthwhile for you to fabricate metal or composite mounting pillars with
Again, IMHO, a Wing with additional downforce improves the great handling of our GT3s. Test and Reviews by Pro Drivers such as Randy Pobst have noted the snap oversteer of the GT3 when driven at the limit on racetracks and I believe

I run my Gt3's Crawford Wing at 10 degrees up for maximum downforce with my Front and Rear Rollbars remaining in the Center (Neutral) position as delivered OEM from Porsche. if I change Springs, Shocks or Tires and observe undesirable understeer, I have the simple options of flattening the Wings Angle of Attack to reduce downforce or adjusting Front and / or Rear Rollbars to compensate for it.

Since my GT3RS will take a while to break-in, after I return from the Frankfurt Auto Show, I'll be instructing in my GT3 at Daytona, Sebring and Roebling Road during October and will be glad to take you out on any of those Tracks with me. PM me if I can be any help.
Congrats on the GT3RS, Spence! Enjoy the Frankfurt Auto Show!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:17 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

Old 08-26-2015, 12:21 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ I knew FastLaneTurbo wouldn't be far away to comment on wings .. ;-)
TOUCHE!!!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Well said. Congrats on the RS!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:28 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The RS wing is meant as a compromise between street efficiency and track performance. The RS wing produces less drag. The cup wing has more rake build into the wing. 25% at 100mph is the equivalent of around 250kg.
Given that the stock GT3 wing makes like 30-40kg at 125mph you should sell your wing to Boeing and become a millionaire. 250kg at 100mph... Seriously.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just buy the actual cup car wing?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Tryptomine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arena-rtr

Where?

Quick Reply: Cup style rear wing for the GT3