991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
If these are problems occurring during track use, I'm not sure Porsche will cover the problem under warranty. Seems like I heard or read of the warranty not being honored if car being used on the track. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was at an event where a Carrera GT had the transmission break and it was not covered by warranty b/c of track use. That was 75K to replace, would imagine someone with a CGT would know the cost.
The warranty for the 991 GT3 explicitly includes track use, and provides guidance on extra maintenance associated with track use. I expect that it will be the same for the GT4.

BTW, I heard that the video for alleged 'engine failure' was faked by a covert team from Ferrari, to create doubts about the RS and mitigate loss of Ferrari sales, given that the RS is so good.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:24 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The warranty for the 991 GT3 explicitly includes track use, and provides guidance on extra maintenance associated with track use. I expect that it will be the same for the GT4.
True. I took delivery of a GT4 yesterday and in the delivery materials there is a maintenance booklet specifically about use of the car on a track.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM
zaitsev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
this is why i don't buy a first year anything. let problems rear their head with the first batch of owners and buy the 2nd model year.

e46 m3 - rod bearing, rear subframe
nissan gtr - tranny issues with launching
c7 z06 - heat soak issues
991 gt3- we know that story
ferrari 458 - wheel arches catching fire
918 - control arm recall

I will say that porsche has handled these issues the best. BMW and Nissan pretty much told people to f*ck off until the forums made a class action law suit.
997 GT3 coolant lines? Porsche told everyone to f-off, then beat the law suit and put up the middle finger. Just sayin
Old 08-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

This is unfortunate but no reason to jump to conclusions until more details released
Old 08-23-2015, 05:42 PM
karimgt3
Pro

In case you didn't do it.. GOOGLE TRANLSATE:

The first engine after 480km over
- Spare engine has 1600 km at Trackday caught fire (not the motor in accordance with the connecting rod (as in GT3) has gone high, but slightly below the left tail light has caught fire)

Important:
Details are unknown and details unaudited. I only give further what the driver said.
Porsche, for example, writes a significantly longer before break-in before starting the engine at full throttle can be ridden. This is not, however, a problem of the piston / connecting rod (comparable GT3), but rather the electronics has kept the heat may not stand. That would also be the break-in period is not better.

On the other hand, the owner said that he has not left after the first engine failure (before replacing) Porsche to the vehicle. The the wanted to examine what was the reason, and he has quite made the pressure he receives a new engine without further examination. He has apparently explained it would be car and Porsche is not entitled to bring this back to the factory ... to avoid bad press Porsche has yet to give him the new engine installed by its PZ.
Interestingly, after the installation of the air conditioner compressor was broken. However, this could not be corrected because spare parts for this strain until November delivery. So the problem may cause lay elsewhere ... that can be limited in detail in no case or even naming a culprit here only say from listening.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
True. I took delivery of a GT4 yesterday and in the delivery materials there is a maintenance booklet specifically about use of the car on a track.
I wonder if there is anything about hub and wheel bearing replacement interval, as with GT3. It could be that only centerlocks require replacements or can be that 5-lug version has the same schedule.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

There is bound to be a few more fires before the recall, its inevitable. They have not even started hitting the circuits by the weekend warriors, just the cars and croissants where engine fires are unlikely.

Is this engine fire #2 or #3, in a relatively short time span?
Old 08-23-2015, 06:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
really wish they would've raced this package before releasing it to the general public....
Our job now.. Let's see if I can make it last to the ED drop off date at least. If it's gonna brake let's brake it in the homeland.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Der-Schwabe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
In case you didn't do it.. GOOGLE TRANLSATE:

The first engine after 480km over
- Spare engine has 1600 km at Trackday caught fire (not the motor in accordance with the connecting rod (as in GT3) has gone high, but slightly below the left tail light has caught fire)

Important:
Details are unknown and details unaudited. I only give further what the driver said.
Porsche, for example, writes a significantly longer before break-in before starting the engine at full throttle can be ridden. This is not, however, a problem of the piston / connecting rod (comparable GT3), but rather the electronics has kept the heat may not stand. That would also be the break-in period is not better.

On the other hand, the owner said that he has not left after the first engine failure (before replacing) Porsche to the vehicle. The the wanted to examine what was the reason, and he has quite made the pressure he receives a new engine without further examination. He has apparently explained it would be car and Porsche is not entitled to bring this back to the factory ... to avoid bad press Porsche has yet to give him the new engine installed by its PZ.
Interestingly, after the installation of the air conditioner compressor was broken. However, this could not be corrected because spare parts for this strain until November delivery. So the problem may cause lay elsewhere ... that can be limited in detail in no case or even naming a culprit here only say from listening.
Indeed, I don't need google translate as I speak the language, the comments by the poster are telling, so it looks far from a clear-cut case of engine failure, so may be everybody shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet...
Old 08-23-2015, 07:30 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by Der-Schwabe
Indeed, I don't need google translate as I speak the language, the comments by the poster are telling, so it looks far from a clear-cut case of engine failure, so may be everybody shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet...
Lol.. Indeed.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:34 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I wonder if there is anything about hub and wheel bearing replacement interval, as with GT3. It could be that only centerlocks require replacements or can be that 5-lug version has the same schedule.
Yeah, here's a pic from the GT4 manual.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2015, 11:46 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^so you need to run the 24hr at the ring 2.5 times before replacement...interesting way to put it. Love the Germans
Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Well the first mistake was them buying a POS car so bad on them. I wouldn't buy a vette even if it was for a $1. Like I said, let's just hope that this isn't the start of another engine recall for the RS. If not, those big premiums will evaporate very quickly.
Ah, a truly objective enthusiast! Makes me want to put PORCUPINE on the back of my GT3
Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Yeah, here's a pic from the GT4 manual.
I change my oil a little more often than that with track use.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:21 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit early to say sky is falling. I say wait and see

Quick Reply: RS engine failure