Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK failure at the track

Old 08-09-2015, 02:39 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK failure at the track

I went to the track this morning with some friends who were in from Germany. Given the heat, I was only going to run for a few hours in the morning while the temps were still reasonable. On my first warmup lap, I got an error message saying there was a transmission problem, and I may not have reverse gear. Given it was a warmup lap, I hadn't pushed the car at all. The transmission was jumping two gears at a time, and when I tried to shift manually, it would only enter the odd-numbered gears. Needless to say, I was freaking out, and immediately starting calculating how long it was going to take to get a new transmission in the car. We pitted in and I shut the car off, hoping it would correct itself after a restart. Sure enough, it did. I did three 20-30 minute sessions after that in the morning, and the problem never resurfaced. I'll take it to the dealer this week to see what they can see in the logs. I've got 15 track days on the car, and 6,000 total miles. Has anyone else ever experienced this in their 991 GT3?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:58 PM
dsc999
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact failure (@ AMP) and SEM outcome. Car came back to life after an hour or so. However, I flatbedded the car back to dealer. No issues could be found. Chalked up to s\w gremlins
Old 08-09-2015, 02:59 PM
dsc999
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be "same" outcome
Old 08-09-2015, 06:25 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Good to know.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

My prior 991S PDK did the same thing ONCE. After restart it was fine. Dealer didn't find a problem.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

How old are your fluids? I had a bad shift on Thursday in my PDK Cayman (made a slight grinding sound vs a typical shift) - only happened once in the lap and didn't resurface. I had Tech support so pulled into the pits and they were able to see what it was a pressure fault and fluid temps were too high. My sessions are 40 minutes and it happened at minute 36 or so.

Going to change fluids every 2-3 days now.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 489 Posts

The real weakness with PDK is cooling under track conditions, not the fluid itself. Supplemental cooling is a must if you plan to track your PDK car frequently.

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I went to the track this morning with some friends who were in from Germany. Given the heat, I was only going to run for a few hours in the morning while the temps were still reasonable. On my first warmup lap, I got an error message saying there was a transmission problem, and I may not have reverse gear. Given it was a warmup lap, I hadn't pushed the car at all. The transmission was jumping two gears at a time, and when I tried to shift manually, it would only enter the odd-numbered gears. Needless to say, I was freaking out, and immediately starting calculating how long it was going to take to get a new transmission in the car. We pitted in and I shut the car off, hoping it would correct itself after a restart. Sure enough, it did. I did three 20-30 minute sessions after that in the morning, and the problem never resurfaced. I'll take it to the dealer this week to see what they can see in the logs. I've got 15 track days on the car, and 6,000 total miles. Has anyone else ever experienced this in their 991 GT3?
Were you at road a or AMP? I was at amp today in the m4. The track was so hot. Really difficult. The m4 has mpss and they greased up quickly.

Glad you ran it afterwards with no issues. I would chalk it up to the heat and software and move on :-). Might be wise to pull the codes.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:02 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The real weakness with PDK is cooling under track conditions, not the fluid itself. Supplemental cooling is a must if you plan to track your PDK car frequently.
Agree (and have a 3rd radiator/trans cooler on my car), my point is more your fluids will degrade much faster in a PDK car than a manual car. By the time you get to the dealer the temps and pressures are probably back to normal.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Agree (and have a 3rd radiator/trans cooler on my car), my point is more your fluids will degrade much faster in a PDK car than a manual car. By the time you get to the dealer the temps and pressures are probably back to normal.
Good point!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Were you at road a or AMP? I was at amp today in the m4. The track was so hot. Really difficult. The m4 has mpss and they greased up quickly.

Glad you ran it afterwards with no issues. I would chalk it up to the heat and software and move on :-). Might be wise to pull the codes.
How would you compare the two? Are you a member?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:15 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer

I was at AMP. Sorry I missed you. I went early to avoid the heat and left by noon. I can't imagine how hot it would have been in the afternoon. Cool suit required!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:20 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
How old are your fluids? I had a bad shift on Thursday in my PDK Cayman (made a slight grinding sound vs a typical shift) - only happened once in the lap and didn't resurface. I had Tech support so pulled into the pits and they were able to see what it was a pressure fault and fluid temps were too high. My sessions are 40 minutes and it happened at minute 36 or so.

Going to change fluids every 2-3 days now.
I don't think the issue was due to heat or fluids. It was my first warmup lap of the day and the problem surfaced before I started pushing the car. I believe it was just a software glitch. Still, not a good feeling seeing your even numbered gears disappear!

Are you saying you are going to change coolant every 2-3 days? That seems excessive.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:24 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

it is a known issue with the PDK, PCNA in most cases is not allowing repairs, instead they replace it and want the failed one back to the factory.I have seen It happen to a friend and the mechanic described the problem before we had a chance to say what happened.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
How would you compare the two? Are you a member?
AMP is great in terms of low car counts on the track, given the private membership, but it is no Road Atlanta. AMP is a shorter and narrow technical track - if driver counts go up it can get bunched up given the limited number of places to pass. Road Atlanta is longer, with higher speeds and you can pass almost anywhere on the track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PDK failure at the track