Great article in Panorama GT4 / GT3 / RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:32 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
By 3, you mean the non-RS right?
Yup. Totally subjective, but the GT3 ticks every box for me for $45K less and it comes in better colors.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:41 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yup. Totally subjective, but the GT3 ticks every box for me for $45K less and it comes in better colors.
+1

Last edited by Drifting; 07-26-2015 at 02:42 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-26-2015, 08:58 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^^ditto for me
Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
^^^ditto for me
ditto for me too, the additional 45k is to big a stretch for the return for me

depth in the pocket isn't there !
Old 07-27-2015, 01:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Thanks, Peter—and everyone else.

And thanks to Rennlist, too: The enthusiasm of this group fires me up and inspires me. Now, if I can just figure out how to get out a bit more. Too much , not enough hauling...

pete
Old 07-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I try not to make the superfluous "me too" posts that take up bandwidth and people's attention needlessly, but I just have to echo some of these comments. First, the RS-- I love my GT3, but OMG, if I could afford it, I would have a PTS RS in a heartbeat, or even "settle" for one in Lava Orange or Ultraviolet. What a car! Thanks, Peter, for uploading those photos from Orbit--I don't care how long they take to download, that kind of detail is much appreciated. Unfortunately, like R.Deacon, my wallet is not as fat as my tastes, and I have already stretched myself far enough financially with a lo-spec 3.

Secondly, I cannot say loud enough or too often what a difference Pete Stout has made in the appearance and content of the Panorama mag. You have truly brought a taste of Excellence to PCA, Pete. It is actually something to look forward to now each month instead of piling up unopened in the old white envelopes like they used to at my house.

Kudos, and thanks to both of you.
TT
Old 07-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Questions for Pete

I read the issue today. Like others above, I much enjoyed Pete's thoughts on driving the RS on the launch, as well as revisiting the 991 GT3 on my favored North Georgia roads.

Two questions for Pete:

What was your route in North Georgia, if you recall?

Who edits the Street Talk section? I encountered two glaring errors on Page 24 (under the heading "A Plug-In 911?"):

1 - Matthias Müller is CEO of Porsche AG, whereas the (President &) CEO of PCNA is Detlev von Platen.

2 - The 918 's peak power figure is 887-hp, not 987-hp.

IMHO the above errors are far more egregious (and obvious) than the cover photograph of a reproduction 356 key fob that so incensed Eduardo; I eventually gave up reading the Porsche specialty magazines from the UK after finding so many errors that I questioned their credibility...
Old 07-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Just finished reading it and enjoyed it. Good mix of technical and experiential info.

Seems that the conclusion is that GT4 is great. If that's not enough or budget allows, get GT3. If still not enough and budget still allows, get RS. Price doubles from start to finish of this sequence.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I read the issue today. Like others above, I much enjoyed Pete's thoughts on driving the RS on the launch, as well as revisiting the 991 GT3 on my favored North Georgia roads.

Two questions for Pete:

What was your route in North Georgia, if you recall?

Who edits the Street Talk section? I encountered two glaring errors on Page 24 (under the heading "A Plug-In 911?"):

1 - Matthias Müller is CEO of Porsche AG, whereas the (President &) CEO of PCNA is Detlev von Platen.

2 - The 918 's peak power figure is 887-hp, not 987-hp.

IMHO the above errors are far more egregious (and obvious) than the cover photograph of a reproduction 356 key fob that so incensed Eduardo; I eventually gave up reading the Porsche specialty magazines from the UK after finding so many errors that I questioned their credibility...
I just went where the photographer told me to, and then we found a tiny offshoot where that pic was taken. The biggest road was a three-laner up and seemed like a major route (very cool to be able to drive a seriously twisty road while choosing to use one or two lanes when available). The best road was a small two-lane recommended by a local who swore me to secrecy, and I have to respect that.

PCNA vs PAG is definitely a "stupid human error." Ditto for 987 vs 887. You'd be surprised how easily they can slip by while staring at and rereading 168 pages for all kinds of errors, but that sounds like an excuse. Both of these errors are frustrating, for exactly the reason you state. Panorama is changing in terms of structure, and must, as we work to make a 168~page monthly sustainable with a "staff" that recently grew to roughly one quarter the size of Car and Driver's (12 issues at 128~ pages). These errors are one of the growing pains I feared most.

Thanks for the heads up, though these sorts of criticisms are best sent to the magazine—because the people who work on it are guaranteed to see them. I'm a bit of a freak among editors for haunting the forums, and even more so for engaging with them.

pete
Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I just went where the photographer told me to, and then we found a tiny offshoot where that pic was taken. The biggest road was a three-laner up and seemed like a major route (very cool to be able to drive a seriously twisty road while choosing to use one or two lanes when available). The best road was a small two-lane recommended by a local who swore me to secrecy, and I have to respect that.

PCNA vs PAG is definitely a "stupid human error." Ditto for 987 vs 887. You'd be surprised how easily they can slip by while staring at and rereading 168 pages for all kinds of errors, but that sounds like an excuse. Both of these errors are frustrating, for exactly the reason you state. Panorama is changing in terms of structure, and must, as we work to make a 168~page monthly sustainable with a "staff" that recently grew to roughly one quarter the size of Car and Driver's (12 issues at 128~ pages). These errors are one of the growing pains I feared most.

Thanks for the heads up, though these sorts of criticisms are best sent to the magazine—because the people who work on it are guaranteed to see them. I'm a bit of a freak among editors for haunting the forums, and even more so for engaging with them.

pete

The 3 lane road is Hwy 129/Blood Mountain in all likelihood. I'm sure I know the 2 lane you referenced, as a former local myself.

I absolutely understand how maddening - and easy - it can be for "stupid" factual errors to creep in, even among subject matter experts.

All of us appreciate your active, engaged presence here, of that I am certain.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
The 3 lane road is Hwy 129/Blood Mountain in all likelihood. I'm sure I know the 2 lane you referenced, as a former local myself.

I absolutely understand how maddening - and easy - it can be for "stupid" factual errors to creep in, even among subject matter experts.

All of us appreciate your active, engaged presence here, of that I am certain.
I believe we drove blood mountain on the smokies trip - if it was the road I am thinking of it was a good road, especially for our first one out the door!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Is Panorama available for our overseas friends?
Can anyone scan it?

I scanned it last night and left the memory stick at home :-(
Old 07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi peter,
i got my copy last week.
the pics of the ultraviolett are indeed beautiful.
pete always makes an effort to show pics of the cars in all colours for all us freaks' perusal.
the gt4 article did that to perfection imo.
it is indeed a great magazine, and it shows how one person's powerful creative drive can instigate change and inspire others.
it is such a relaxing read, unforced yet informative. and the covers are always great artwork.
keep up the good work, mr. stout!
we really do appreciate it.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I'm a bit of a freak among editors for haunting the forums, and even more so for engaging with them.
pete
...and for foregoing anonymity.

Kudos to you! Keep up the good work
Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I scanned it but too large to upload.
E-mail me Peter-at- trackcar.com for a copy.

Quick Reply: Great article in Panorama GT4 / GT3 / RS