Sponsored by:

i'm thinking of replacing my GT3 , not sure why

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
street, all cars are too fast. the new ND MX5 is best.
i was going to mention this. The miata and subaru BRZ are two of the best street cars on the market today for having fun. I was getting a bit sideways just on my test drive.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 PM
pelo911
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
i was going to mention this. The miata and subaru BRZ are two of the best street cars on the market today for having fun. I was getting a bit sideways just on my test drive.
too slow for me
Old 08-27-2015, 11:36 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by pelo911
too slow for me
Only if you use their brakes too much.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

The core of your dilemma: cars are not simply good or bad, they need to be matched to our use and roads.

991 Turbo S- awesome car for the autobahn, but it lacks feel and feedback at legal US road speeds. A base Boxster or BRZ is a great and involving drive on tight back road, but on open freeways and straight on-ramps they're like watching paint dry. On track a 991 GT3 is a thrilling, but it can feel too competent and over-tired on many roads.

So the first question is where and how do like to get your kicks? Be honest.

Second: "too good" can be bad. Some of the best, most emotionally involving cars are flawed. And better for it.

A 2WD Turbo, GT2, Early 911, BMW 1M, BMW M Coupe, CGT... These cars are all on some level trying to kill you. And you know what? Serious drivers usually love them. Why? Because they scare us. You want an emotional connection? Fear is one of the most powerful emotions. A car that's too easy for the way we use it isn't going to challenge us and we'll get bored. A car that challenges you keeps you coming back for more.

Of course too much challenge is bad too, as is wrapped around a telephone pole, so you need to pick a challenge that matches your skill level.

From your description you don't have great back roads. You want a car that can challenge and thrill on wider roads and freeways. To me that says over-powered for the chassis, and that's my suspicion why the GT3 isn't doing it for you. So...

GT2
1M
M Coupe (the first one)
M4
F12
F Type R
Viper? (I couldn't but...)

I'd also want a manual for that situation, because your roads sound a bit boring so you'll want all the interaction you can get . I could be projecting, but...

Last edited by Petevb; 08-27-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:01 PM
pelo911
Racer

Originally Posted by Petevb
The core of your dilemma: cars are not simply good or bad, they need to be matched to our use and roads.

991 Turbo S- awesome car for the autobahn, but it lacks feel and feedback at legal US road speeds. A base Boxster or BRZ is a great and involving drive on tight back road, but on open freeways and straight on-ramps they're like watching paint dry. On track a 991 GT3 is a thrilling, but it can feel too competent and over-tired on many roads.

Second: "too good" can be bad. Some of the best, most emotionally involving cars are flawed. And better for it.

A 2WD Turbo, GT2, Early 911, BMW 1M, BMW M Coupe, CGT... These cars are all on some level trying to kill you. And you know what? Serious drivers usually love them. Why? Because they scare us. You want an emotional connection? Fear is one of the most powerful emotions. A car that's too easy for the way we use it isn't going to challenge us and we'll get bored. A car that challenges you keeps you coming back for more.

Of course too much challenge is bad too, as is wrapped around a telephone pole, so you need to pick a challenge that matches your skill level.

From your description you don't have great back roads. You want a car that can challenge and thrill on wider roads and freeways. To me that says over-powered for the chassis, and that's my suspicion why the GT3 isn't doing it for you. So...

GT2
1M
M Coupe (the first one)
M4
F12
F Type R

I'd also want a manual for that situation, because your roads sound a bit boring so you'll want all the interaction you can get . I could be projecting, but...
thank you very much for your reply ,

i don't like to drive on highway at all , i think i should but a trailer to skip highway driving.

i enjoy tight corners (i love Go Karts for example)
to drive fast on straight line , very boring.

you are 100% right , great car should scare me a little
not too much , because if you not trust the car you will drive slower and slower.
the GT3 for me , too easy to drive at crazy speed
take corners at speed i can't imagine before , very easy.
that's a great thing maybe on track and for lap times.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Buy a well built 964? Maybe a Singer?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

So does the car need to be new, or would you consider something older? Will you autocross or track it at all?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

+ a million.

Drove the GT3 to work today; boring. Drove the C63 to work yesterday; fun. But the GT3 is much more fun on track.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-27-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:47 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default i'm thinking of replacing my GT3 , not sure why

GT2
1M
M Coupe (the first one)
M4
F12
F Type R

This took me a while to figure out! I should have been reading Petes posts 10 years ago.: banghead:
Would have saved me a lot of cash. I could care less what car I drive on a daily basis. At the moment a 10 year old Toyota. As long as I have an RS sitting in the garage for weekends and track.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:11 PM
pelo911
Racer

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
This took me a while to figure out! I should have been reading Petes posts 10 years ago.: banghead:
Would have saved me a lot of cash. I could care less what car I drive on a daily basis. At the moment a 10 year old Toyota. As long as I have an RS sitting in the garage for weekends and track.
it's nice to have some power on everyday car ,
i use 335i for everyday and love it (Macan Turbo will replace it soon)

you have one of the top in my dream car list
997 4.0 !!
amazing car , without driving it i can imaging it's much more fun to drive then the new GT3RS.

all the Perfect car (for me) are impossible to buy/find
my short list:
1. 458 Speciale
2. GT2RS
3. 997 GT3 4.0
Old 08-27-2015, 05:58 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default i'm thinking of replacing my GT3 , not sure why

Originally Posted by pelo911
it's nice to have some power on everyday car ,
i use 335i for everyday and love it (Macan Turbo will replace it soon)

you have one of the top in my dream car list
997 4.0 !!
amazing car , without driving it i can imaging it's much more fun to drive then the new GT3RS.

all the Perfect car (for me) are impossible to buy/find
my short list:
1. 458 Speciale
2. GT2RS
3. 997 GT3 4.0
What Pete said,

They are all good at different things. Would I consider the 4.0 as a DD. Never. Drove the gt4 a couple of weeks ago. IMO a great DD even with LWB.
A 996RS is amazing on super smooth roads/track! Not so much in any other place.
The 991GT3 is a great combo. Not sure why they made the RS a combo??? Doesn't make any sense to me. To hear a review saying "the 991rs was great in Auto mode during my 500 mile drive"
hurts my RS heart.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:29 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

pelo911

your thread now with 100 replies to your question and 6800 plus folks following

that's certainly delivering some entertainment and education................. GO RL

amazing

Last edited by R.Deacon; 08-28-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:49 PM
pelo911
Racer

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
pelo911

your thread now with 100 replies to your question and 6800 plus folks following

that's certainly delivering some entertainment ................. GO RL

amazing
sorry for my bad English
what " GO RL" mean?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^
No need to be sorry

Renn List

all the texting folks abbreviation usually go right over head ,however asking is education
Old 08-29-2015, 02:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

4.0 may be fun at times, i like the GT4 more than my 4.0
and lately the really slow aircooled car made me stop driving the 4.0. it's been udner cover 2+ months now.

Quick Reply: i'm thinking of replacing my GT3 , not sure why