Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 11:34 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

It is puzzling that PAG would stop the PTS option on the RS, but then offer a new color option: Miami Blue.
And doesn't PAG have a lot of experience w/ painting (PTS) CFP parts like those found on the 918?
Old 07-12-2015, 01:48 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
larger solo image of the aquamarine photoshop
I have so many similar versions of this now (it was easy to get carried away and play with the colours), I can't remember which is which!! Here's one that looks pretty close to my eye (at least on this monitor).

Originally Posted by GTEE3
It is puzzling that PAG would stop the PTS option on the RS, but then offer a new color option: Miami Blue.
And doesn't PAG have a lot of experience w/ painting (PTS) CFP parts like those found on the 918?
I've wondered the same thing, and here are my thoughts.

Clearly PAG is able to paint exotic materials successfully, at least we know that certain colours are good to go (White, Lava, GT Silver, etc). When the factory has sufficient time and chooses to engineer a colour from scratch (with few strict up front requirements as to what it should resemble), they can experiment with the paint and try a number of formulations and then just take one that performs satisfactorily. Maybe this is why it's not much trouble to introduce a whole new colour. Recall that Miami blue has been in development for a long time now (possibly as long as Lava): we first saw hints that it was coming in January of this year when it was already posted on the Glasurit (aftermarket paint producer) website, meaning it had already been fully tested, and probably intended for the RS with all its crazy new materials which all checked out ok. In fact, it was listed as a "2014-2016" colour, so may have been sitting in the wings for a couple of years now! Perhaps the stop sale on the GT3 delaying the RS launch meant that Miami was ready to go but had to be held back, and probably someone forgot to inform all the third party contractors (like Glasurit) of the delay (just like the toy model RS that was leaked early, and had evidently been ready for a while).

But to take requests for, say, Mexico blue, Birch green, and a couple dozen other specific paint colours only a few months before customers are supposed to receive their cars, and go through the entire testing process is clearly a whole other matter. I suppose certain colours / pigments just don't work well on various surfaces, and it's probably hard to predict without testing. So maybe Signal green might work, but for some unknown reason Viper green may not (even though they're both medium green). And I'm in sure the Viper green customer would not accept a different similar green in lieu of the theoretically failed Viper. So this might get quite difficult in a PTS program, where the customer decides what colour (and it must match exactly the colour that she/he requests), especially on a very short time frame, and for "only" $5500.

Finally, add to that that many of the parts are supplied by outside vendors fully painted, and this means that PAG has even less control of the process. Since parts arrive only just-in-time, there is probably too little time to inspect, verify, and reorder any failed parts. This is less of an issue when you order large quantities well in advance, and have gone through the quality assurance with the vendor in advance. But for a custom colour, ordered very last minute, with no prior experience to practice for the vendor, I imagine the reject rate is substantially higher. Taking cars off the line and adding unforeseen delays to the flagship car for often very exacting customers (who have their heart set on a very special PTS car), is clearly not an acceptable way of doing business. So I can see from PAG's point of view, that this is a risky proposition. And so (unfortunately) it looks like they've decided to put limits on the PTS program for this car.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded reply. Since I went through the PTS process, I've read (Eduardo's and other posts) and thought a fair bit about what it might involve. I'm not an insider, so read this with a heavy pinch of sodium chloride!
Old 07-12-2015, 02:07 PM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Makes a lot of sense. The cost difference between the UV / LO and full PTS always seemed like a bit of a bargain to me. Full customisation usually costs more than that so it's entirely possible that it was just costing them too much money.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Hold the Fort...and keep the Calm!

Originally Posted by <3mph
I've wondered the same thing, and here are my thoughts.

Clearly PAG is able to paint exotic materials successfully, at least we know that certain colours are good to go (White, Lava, GT Silver, etc). When the factory has sufficient time and chooses to engineer a colour from scratch (with few strict up front requirements as to what it should resemble), they can experiment with the paint and try a number of formulations and then just take one that performs satisfactorily. Maybe this is why it's not much trouble to introduce a whole new colour. Recall that Miami blue has been in development for a long time now (possibly as long as Lava): we first saw hints that it was coming in January of this year when it was already posted on the Glasurit (aftermarket paint producer) website, meaning it had already been fully tested, and probably intended for the RS with all its crazy new materials which all checked out ok. In fact, it was listed as a "2014-2016" colour, so may have been sitting in the wings for a couple of years now! Perhaps the stop sale on the GT3 delaying the RS launch meant that Miami was ready to go but had to be held back, and probably someone forgot to inform all the third party contractors (like Glasurit) of the delay (just like the toy model RS that was leaked early, and had evidently been ready for a while).

But to take requests for, say, Mexico blue, Birch green, and a couple dozen other specific paint colours only a few months before customers are supposed to receive their cars, and go through the entire testing process is clearly a whole other matter. I suppose certain colours / pigments just don't work well on various surfaces, and it's probably hard to predict without testing. So maybe Signal green might work, but for some unknown reason Viper green may not (even though they're both medium green). And I'm in sure the Viper green customer would not accept a different similar green in lieu of the theoretically failed Viper. So this might get quite difficult in a PTS program, where the customer decides what colour (and it must match exactly the colour that she/he requests), especially on a very short time frame, and for "only" $5500.

Finally, add to that that many of the parts are supplied by outside vendors fully painted, and this means that PAG has even less control of the process. Since parts arrive only just-in-time, there is probably too little time to inspect, verify, and reorder any failed parts. This is less of an issue when you order large quantities well in advance, and have gone through the quality assurance with the vendor in advance. But for a custom colour, ordered very last minute, with no prior experience to practice for the vendor, I imagine the reject rate is substantially higher. Taking cars off the line and adding unforeseen delays to the flagship car for often very exacting customers (who have their heart set on a very special PTS car), is clearly not an acceptable way of doing business. So I can see from PAG's point of view, that this is a risky proposition. And so (unfortunately) it looks like they've decided to put limits on the PTS program for this car.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded reply. Since I went through the PTS process, I've read (Eduardo's and other posts) and thought a fair bit about what it might involve. I'm not an insider, so read this with a heavy pinch of sodium chloride!
Daniel: Excellent post. You are hired...as part of our Rennlist 'PTS' expert staff! I am on vacation in Europe starting on Tuesday July 14th and return on August 7th. Hold the fort.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
Hold the fort.
Reporting for duty, sir! (as you know, we Canadians aren't exactly a military (or PTS) superpower like you; so hopefully you don't stray too far from wifi connectivity)

Enjoy your holidays away!!
Old 07-12-2015, 05:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

UV exclusive on the fitst batch cars along with black, yellow and blue maybe and other new colors replacing for example UV next batch. Makes sense, easy to organize for an extra $5500.

I can see trading my UV for Miami!
Old 07-12-2015, 05:44 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been out of the loop lately so I did not hear of this whole cancelling of the PTS program. Fortunately, I picked black (well, Basalt, but oh well), so my order is still locked in. I also requested lava orange wheels, mirrors, the decal and the wing tips as well in orange. Has PTS been cancelled only in some regions or is it worldwide. Oh and wth is Miami Blue? Is it a new color and is there a photo?

Oh and I finally sat in a GT4! Man, that clutch is heavy!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aboodchy
I have been out of the loop lately... Has PTS been cancelled only in some regions or is it worldwide.
PTS only cancelled by Porsche at its facilities in Germany. PTS is still going on smoothly at Porsche production facilities in Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Paraguay. Fortunately, that is where all PTS 991 gt3 RS are being produced...so you are OK.

Kidding aside, nothing has been 'cancelled'. PTS windows are apparently being closed early for some MY2016 models. PTS production of 991 gt3 RS's, if you have a confirmed PTS order, will continue albeit with perhaps some delays. But no new PTS orders will be accepted. On the positive side, three additional colors have been 'approved' for the 991 RS model - 'Black', 'Racing Yellow' and 'Miami Blue'. Although they still might cost the same as PTS (needs confirmation on this fact), production in these colors will be expedited (4 weeks as compared to 12 weeks for standard PTS 'in relation to allocation month'). More info & updates coming in on all of these changes almost on a daily basis...so please stay in the loop!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-13-2015, 01:48 AM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to give my dealer another week and then see if he has some further information. I'm not understanding why mine is apparently cancelled even though the order was already in.
He also told me that all PTS was at a stand still for now and they were not sure when it would be restarted. He seems to speak directly to the factory and he's there on a regular basis so should be reasonably well informed.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:49 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by GianiCakes
I'm going to give my dealer another week and then see if he has some further information. I'm not understanding why mine is apparently cancelled even though the order was already in.
He also told me that all PTS was at a stand still for now and they were not sure when it would be restarted. He seems to speak directly to the factory and he's there on a regular basis so should be reasonably well informed.
Thanks for keeping us all up to date. I'm eager to hear what your dealer uncovers for you. If it was a quality control issue that is putting the kaibash on current PTS orders (like yours), then the message posted above seems to suggest that some or all PTS orders will now be offered one of the 3 new special colours as a "peace offering" replacement for the requested PTS colour. At least no one other than previously submitted PTS orders will be able to spec the 3 new colours--so you'd be amongst only a very few owners with these special colours. I know, still not a perfect solution.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:47 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PTS only cancelled by Porsche at its facilities in Germany. PTS is still going on smoothly at Porsche production facilities in Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Paraguay. Fortunately, that is where all PTS 991 gt3 RS are being produced...so you are OK.

Kidding aside, nothing has been 'cancelled'. PTS windows are apparently being closed early for some MY2016 models. PTS production of 991 gt3 RS's, if you have a confirmed PTS order, will continue albeit with perhaps some delays. But no new PTS orders will be accepted. On the positive side, three additional colors have been 'approved' for the 991 RS model - 'Black', 'Racing Yellow' and 'Miami Blue'. Although they still might cost the same as PTS (needs confirmation on this fact), production in these colors will be expedited (4 weeks as compared to 12 weeks for standard PTS 'in relation to allocation month'). More info & updates coming in on all of these changes almost on a daily basis...so please stay in the loop!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I wonder if Miami Blue will be closer to your Crystal Blue?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dertub
I wonder if Miami Blue will be closer to your Crystal Blue?
Nein!

We should know soon as Porsche promised to send me a photo of 'Miami Blue' today (or as soon as when their sample arrives from Germany).

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS We are expecting 'Miami Blue' to be much darker-greyish than 'Crystal Blue'

Loess paint sample of 'Miami Blue' (M5C)

1957/1959 Porsche 356A 'Aquamarine' / Porsche color code 5707. Ian brought up the similarity in the 981 'Custom Ordering' thread:

I think its important to note that a customer requested 'Aquamarine' as a PTS color, PAG did a feasibility study on it & approved it...
for the Panamera, but rejected it for the 991/981. Why???

Do you remember when not that long ago Rennlister djcxxx actually requested 'Blutorange/Tangerine' from 'Porsche Exclusive',
a feasibility study was done on it and it was similarly rejected?

Well, PAG changed the formula by a few shades & introduced it as 'Lava Orange' on the 991 gt3 RS! I think we have the making
of a similar phenomenon here with 'Miami Blue'. It might be the vintage/historic 356 'Aquamarine', but up/down a few shades!

Some still believe that Porsche's new 'Miami Blue' is closer to is the lighter/bluer L51C from the 74-78 VW's than the Grey-Blue ''Taubenblau'
based on internal dealer emails they have been privy to. I have been promised by a high-up at 'Porsche Exclusive' that they will try to send
me photo of actual color as soon as they (PCNA!) get it in Atlanta. That hopefully will on Monday! So we might put an end to the speculation
pretty soon and have confirmed information on what 'Miami Blue' truly will look like! We will keep everyone posted!

Last edited by Z356; 07-13-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the color in the paint can. Looks a little greenish. I always thought Aquamarine was too dark for me.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Favorite PTS...and least Favorites!

Whlle we wait to hear from PCNA and PAG about their PTS final plans for the 991 gt3 RS, here is a recent exchange I had
with another individual on the gt4 forum that might provoke some interesting discussion on this thread!

I feel like Mary Poppins singing about 'a few of my favorite things'!

"Raindrops on roses
And whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles
And warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things"

Originally Posted by Steve D
Hello Eduardo, First, thanks for sharing so much information on PTS.

"If history is a guide, it will...if you choose your PTS color wisely"

Have been trying to read all of you posts on PTS here and on the GT3 side.

I have not seen a list from you on your favorite PTS colors.
Would you mind sharing your favorite and least favorite current PTS colors?
Ok.....

Favorite PTS and Least Favorite PTS

As you know, this is all very personal and varies widely from person to person. But let me say this on the subject.
In general I am very attracted to the solid/uni colors from the 'golden age' of Porsche exterior paint options -
which in my opinion started around 1969 and ended in the mid-1970's!

As most that have follow my PTS posts on Rennlist know by now, I am very partial to the solid greens in the Porsche palette:

'Lichtgrün'
'Gelbgrün'
'Signal Green'
'Viper Green'
'Chartreuse/Lindgrün' (hopefully soon to be approved)
'Grün' (formerly 'RS Grün')
'Reingrün/Pure Green' (recently approved 'new' color)
'Brewster Green'

In the blues, I like:

'Riviera Blau'
'Mexico Blau'
'Maritime Blau'
'Aetna Blau'
'Voodoo Blau'
'MeerBlau'
'Gulf Blau'
'Meissen Blau' (if approved)
'Club Blau' (PCA 60th Anniversary Coupe. A few shades off the original 1974 'Acid Blue'. Not yet available for PTS but perhaps soon)

In the grays I like:

'Fashion Grey/Modegrau'
'Stone Grey'
'Grey Black'
'Slate Grey'

In the yellows I like:

'Signal Yellow'
'Atakama Yellow' (BMW color)
'Speed Yellow'

In the oranges I like:

'Pastel Orange'
'Gulf Orange'
'Continental Orange' (not approved)
'RS Orange' (Discontinued)
'Signal Orange' (not yet requested...one of my favorites)
'Tangerine' (not approved...but 'Lava Orange' a few shades off!)

In the purple I like:

'Ultraviolet'
'Aubergine' (if approved)

In my opinion the most popular/attractive color that Porsche currently offers via PTS, and the safest 'investment' choice if you are cautious about choosing an expensive $5,500 option, is.....'Riviera Blue'!

You simply can't go wrong by ordering this color!

Least Favorite PTS Colors

The rest of the PTS approved colors...but in particular order:
All 'metallics' colors without exception...
'Mint Green'
'Pascha Red'
'Creme White'
'Golf Blue'
'Irish Green'
'Peru Red'
'Ruby Star'

My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Color to Sample, 5-12-2015.pdf (130.5 KB, 227 views)
Old 07-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Frank 991 GT3 RS
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile PTS approved cars get PTS

Hello to all of You,

is´s my first post here in the forum. I read Your threads now for quite a while.

Since I have a riviera blue GT3 RS allocation for November, I checked today direct with the Production in Zuffenhausen about the PTS rumours.
They told me that all approved PTS cars get the requested colour. They just cannot handle more due to the higher quality standards and available slots. So the PTS window is closed for all new requests.

I don´t know anything about the three newly discussed colours.

Greetings from Germany,
Frank

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS