Sponsored by:

TPC Active Side Muffler Bypass - Quick Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:35 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TPC Active Side Muffler Bypass - Quick Review

Just installed the TPC Racing Active Side Muffler Bypass (http://www.tpcracing.com/gt3-active-...er-bypass.html) earlier this week to experiment with how it would affect the exhaust sound. Yes, it was a $1750.00 experiment, but it was definitely worth checking out given how little information there was on this.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a chance after the install to take some good side by side video with my friend's car that has the Sharkwerks Center Muffler Bypass.

Quick Notes:
- Side mufflers each weigh 21.5lbs
- TPC weighs in at 4 lbs per side and retains the valve. Total weight savings of 35lbs which is pretty nice.
- Without the valve, you would be essentially running no muffler which is loud and awesome. It is however too loud for my taste for moments when i need to drive next to law enforcement or CHP.
- If your goal is to run no muffler, then this is not your solution. A simple pipe that connects the cats to the center mufflers lower exhaust port would do it (BBi Side Muffler Bypass).
- The quality of the bypass is nice. Fairly clean welds that have been tidied up. - The valve area looks like a cast section that is welded to the stainless pipes
- Install was a breeze (for my shop, thanks Aleks aka Alekshop), and fit to the car was good
- It sounds really deep in comparison to the OEM exhaust. lots of low frequency coming through and you can definitely feel the exhaust sound is close to hitting the natural frequency of the car. car vibrates a little more at idle
- Sounds much more like a super car when revved at higher RPMs
- Slight drone when lugging the car in 7th between 1.5k and 2.5k RPMs
Overall i'm pretty happy, but I plan on potentially getting the Akrapovic slip-on to go with this to see how that could sound.

Yes, I realize the video is massively too short. I think Aleks has a better one and a few more pictures.

Can't figure how to embed the video so here's the link:
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review. My GT3 will be here in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for an option which maintains the valve control as well. It seems like TPC, fabspeed and Tubi are the companies that offer them as far as I can tell.

Do you think you could do a video on the road with different angles etc? Are you looking to add the Akra muffler as well? If so, is it that you're looking for a deeper sound yet?

I currently have a 991 4S with awe switchback and the sound is just amazing when I open the flaps but quiet when I don't. I'm hoping to come as close to that as I can with the Gt3.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I'm confused: what are the exhaust valves doing on these TPC bypass parts? It looks like they eliminate the side muffler, and both of the TPC bypass exists go into the center muffler. So when the valves are open vs. closed, it just changes whether the exhaust goes into the top input of the center muffler vs. both the top and the bottom input of the center muffler.

Is there a big difference in sound between those two settings? If so, there must be a very different internal exhaust path inside the center muffler for both routes... interesting.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:54 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'm confused: what are the exhaust valves doing on these TPC bypass parts? It looks like they eliminate the side muffler, and both of the TPC bypass exists go into the center muffler. So when the valves are open vs. closed, it just changes whether the exhaust goes into the top input of the center muffler vs. both the top and the bottom input of the center muffler. Is there a big difference in sound between those two settings? If so, there must be a very different internal exhaust path inside the center muffler for both routes... interesting.
Good question!

Yes there is. If you remove the 3rd muffler and stick a hanger wire or pull a string though the top input, you'll find it cannot just poke out the muffler tips without a convoluted path (i.e. sound baffling). If you do the same with the bottom input, you'll find it's a straight pipe through to the tips.

The TPC takes the exhaust from the cats and splits them into two outputs. The one going to the top input on the 3rd muffler is a straight pipe. The one going to the bottom has a valve on the pipe.

If you do not press the PSE button, all exhaust gases at all rpms flow through the top input to the 3rd muffler which has sound baffling.

If you press the PSE button, the valve partially opens at low rpms and is fully open at rpms above 3.5k. When the valve opens, you have an open cat exhaust system that has an OEM look. It's really amazing at high rpms.

I have not dynoed it though.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ma991
Thanks for the review. My GT3 will be here in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for an option which maintains the valve control as well. It seems like TPC, fabspeed and Tubi are the companies that offer them as far as I can tell. Do you think you could do a video on the road with different angles etc?
I don't have a car mount so it'll only be fly bys. Might need to be next weekend.

Are you looking to add the Akra muffler as well? If so, is it that you're looking for a deeper sound yet?
Yes, but not right away. So with the side delete, when you start he car, it's much louder and deeper then before. However the sound of the baffling in the OEM 3rd muffler is not exactly to my liking below 3.5k RPM.

Wanted to see if Akras 3rd muffler sounds better.

I currently have a 991 4S with awe switchback and the sound is just amazing when I open the flaps but quiet when I don't. I'm hoping to come as close to that as I can with the Gt3.
I think you should try listening to the OEM system first. It's really nice and might already meet your goals!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Ah, that makes sense. Seems like a nice system.

Note that the OEM valve control is either fully open or fully closed. There is no "partially open" state since that would need some unique intermediate partial vacuum source which doesn't exist on the car.

Personally, I'd prefer the PSE button to simply hold the valves open all the time, vs closed all the time if not pressed.

Originally Posted by SECRET M
Good question!

Yes there is. If you remove the 3rd muffler and stick a hanger wire or pull a string though the top input, you'll find it cannot just poke out the muffler tips without a convoluted path (i.e. sound baffling). If you do the same with the bottom input, you'll find it's a straight pipe through to the tips.

The TPC takes the exhaust from the cats and splits them into two outputs. The one going to the top input on the 3rd muffler is a straight pipe. The one going to the bottom has a valve on the pipe.

If you do not press the PSE button, all exhaust gases at all rpms flow through the top input to the 3rd muffler which has sound baffling.

If you press the PSE button, the valve partially opens at low rpms and is fully open at rpms above 3.5k. When the valve opens, you have an open cat exhaust system that has an OEM look. It's really amazing at high rpms.

I have not dynoed it though.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a car mount so it'll only be fly bys. Might need to be next weekend.

Yes, but not right away. So with the side delete, when you start he car, it's much louder and deeper then before. However the sound of the baffling in the OEM 3rd muffler is not exactly to my liking below 3.5k RPM.

Wanted to see if Akras 3rd muffler sounds better.

I think you should try listening to the OEM system first. It's really nice and might already meet your goals!
Thanks. I appreciate the info.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:28 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this, just a few more questions:

So How would that sound with sharkwerks for the 3rd muffler?
If PSE not pressed would that still muffle sound?
With sound muffled is it close to stock or much louder?
Old 06-02-2015, 03:38 AM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Ah, that makes sense. Seems like a nice system.

Note that the OEM valve control is either fully open or fully closed. There is no "partially open" state since that would need some unique intermediate partial vacuum source which doesn't exist on the car.
I read the same thing in other threads, but the car definitely sounds different at idle with and without the PSE on. It's hard to hear unless you are inside a garage. Is there something else that could contribute to that?

Personally, I'd prefer the PSE button to simply hold the valves open all the time, vs closed all the time if not pressed.
Yeah, I think that would be great if the car just remembered your last setting the way it does for the suspension.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:06 AM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shahano
Thanks for this, just a few more questions:

So How would that sound with sharkwerks for the 3rd muffler?
If PSE not pressed would that still muffle sound?
With sound muffled is it close to stock or much louder?
It would just be essentially an open CAT exhaust system at that point. There would be no sound muffling because the Sharkwerks 3rd muffler merges to top input with the bottom input with no sound baffling.
Attached Images    
Old 06-02-2015, 05:04 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

I read the same thing in other threads, but the car definitely sounds different at idle with and without the PSE on. It's hard to hear unless you are inside a garage. Is there something else that could contribute to that?
At idle, PSE off vs. on changes the exhaust valve state (fully open for on, fully closed for off). You can lay on the floor under the car and watch the valves fully open and close as your buddy hits the button.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 AM
mainly
Racer

It would just be essentially an open CAT exhaust system at that point. There would be no sound muffling because the Sharkwerks 3rd muffler merges to top input with the bottom input with no sound baffling.
clear as mud.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:24 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mainly
clear as mud.
Both the TPC side muffler deletes AND the Sharkwerks bypass are just straight pipes, so using them together means you have no muffler regardless of valve state.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Such a fantastic explanation.. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.. Very much appreciated.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

need more video

Quick Reply: TPC Active Side Muffler Bypass - Quick Review