Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Shortage of LWB Seats - A Tragedy worthy of play by William Shakespeare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:06 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Fantastic post! Love the fact finding and reporting approach.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:30 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Stop posting interesting stuff immediately, I have a job to do - can not sit here and read Rennlist all day!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:12 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks Ed for shedding some light on this self created PAG mess
Old 05-28-2015, 02:10 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As always Eduardo is the master at putting threads and posts together....perhaps you can teach us goof ***** that can barely post pics a class called: "The Art and Magic to posting on the RL forum by Eduardo *no experience required but as a qualifier you must salute to Signal Green GT3s.

Just a few comments about the topic:

1) I know it was posted here that Preuninger said the 918 LWBs are different from the GT3/GT4/RS LWBs.... while technically true I don't think the CRP one piece seat is molded at a different rake angle at all. I think the seat is angled differently with the use of different side brackets that mount and secure to sliding bottom bracket in 918 because we know at the very least that one sliding bracket on passenger side is completely different as it has no motor. I think the actual mold for one piece seat is shared between all LWB seats (with the different brackets for position angle and obviously different cushions on 918). I could be wrong but again I am told that they are the same part at LEAR.

2) Yes I agree that Porsche has underestimated demand for LWBs but there is more at play than that single fact (again as Eduardo suggested as a possiblitly). LEAR has not been able to go into "thrust" production (as told to Porsche when commitments were made and while even at thrust production levels they still might not be able to hit order demand from Porsche currently) because I am told of quality problems that creep in with speeding up CRP one piece seat production. The only way that more can be added is to add additional manufacturing lines and/or facilities and that is not an overnight fix.

3) Porsche didn't just get hit with demand...since after first month of LWB GT3 production, LWBs have been delayed off and on since end of last year. It did not take a german scientist to anticipate that with upcoming RS release and when GT4 was announced that if LWBs were offered on GT4 the demand would be high and the result would be a high number of delays in orders based on the demand that happened for LWB GT3s when announced? The possible solution was as many have said at factory to have released GT4 with sofas first (or last depending on how RS production affects LWB availability) then phase in LWB as an available option later (or earlier then terminate by a specific order date) when availability was caught up.

Just my 2 cents...and thanks again Eduardo for the awesome history and notice I need art and magic to my posts as I haven't taken your class...YET!?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
This theory fits with some thoughts I've been having about the sport car market splitting and going bimodal.

We've been told that Porsche was surprised by the demand for the GT4. On some level you can understand why: statistics tell them that manual cars are not selling well and the Cayman is also struggling. One can extrapolate that a manual only Cayman will sell poorly- if the market is a bell curve it's very far from the center.

But the market isn't a bell curve. There's a large group that wants comfort, drivers assistance, size, etc. Make these cars a bit harder and less friendly and sales will fall off... But make them hard enough and suddenly you find another market- the market that wants race buckets and six points. We generally don't buy off the lot because we don't like the "bell curve" spec, but give us what we want and you'll find that there are quite a lot of us. Far more than Porsche expected, apparently...
I agree with the bimodal distribution curve, which contradicts this thread's thesis. It used to be that theses cars were purchased by enthusiasts for track use. No more, as large numbers are purchased for show and will never see a track or even a serious canyon spirited drive. Many of these cars are filled to the brim with doodads and 'show' options which have no place in a track-oriented car, but are there for cars and coffee events.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Much ado about buckets?

Okay, I'll go back to my corner now.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
As always Eduardo is the master at putting threads and posts together....perhaps you can teach us goof ***** that can barely post pics a class called: "The Art and Magic to posting on the RL forum by Eduardo *no experience required but as a qualifier you must salute to Signal Green GT3s...and thanks again Eduardo for the awesome history and notice I need art or magic to my posts as I haven't taken your class...YET!?
As always, sccchiii, you are adding valuable information to these threads, especially since you have contacts at the source in Germany!

By the way, here is a quick lesson on how to get readership up on any of your post via 'Art & Magic'. You start with a photo that draws the audience to the topic you have chosen to talk about. This piques their interest and then you can proceed to the more technical details of these LWB seats, brackets, rake angle...and, in particular, the rather suggestive 'thrust production'!

Originally Posted by sccchiii

Just a few comments about the topic:

1) I know it was posted here that Preuninger said the 918 LWBs are different from the GT3/GT4/RS LWBs.... while technically true I don't think the CRP one piece seat is molded at a different rake angle at all. I think the seat is angled differently with the use of different side brackets that mount and secure to sliding bottom bracket in 918 because we know at the very least that one sliding bracket on passenger side is completely different as it has no motor. I think the actual mold for one piece seat is shared between all LWB seats (with the different brackets for position angle and obviously different cushions on 918). I could be wrong but again I am told that they are the same part at LEAR.

2) Yes I agree that Porsche has underestimated demand for LWBs but there is more at play than that single fact (again as Eduardo suggested as a possiblitly). LEAR has not been able to go into "thrust" production (as told to Porsche when commitments were made and while even at thrust production levels they still might not be able to hit order demand from Porsche currently) because I am told of quality problems that creep in with speeding up CRP one piece seat production. The only way that more can be added is to add additional manufacturing lines and/or facilities and that is not an overnight fix.

3) Porsche didn't just get hit with demand...since after first month of LWB GT3 production, LWBs have been delayed off and on since end of last year. It did not take a german scientist to anticipate that with upcoming RS release and when GT4 was announced that if LWBs were offered on GT4 the demand would be high and the result would be a high number of delays in orders based on the demand that happened for LWB GT3s when announced? The possible solution was as many have said at factory to have released GT4 with sofas first (or last depending on how RS production affects LWB availability) then phase in LWB as an available option later (or earlier then terminate by a specific order date) when availability was caught up.
You can even talk about the boring standard 'sport seats plus', or 'sofas' as the men of this forum calls them, and still keep your audience interested! But it pays to make the subject slightly more appealing by including a photo that makes the point of that Porsche 'sports seats are comfortable and provide support even during performance driving'...and perhaps even after the exhaustive ride!

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...comfort/seats/

Just keep practicing 'sccchiii'...you'll get the hang of this 'posting science' in no time!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-28-2015, 05:42 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what a debacle ! Nice work Eduardo.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:38 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Love this thread! Thanks Eduardo!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

The whole debacle is inexcusable.

Maybe I am wound up because it was made official today that VAG is going the same direction with Lamborghini as they have with Porsche. One thing is for sure: If the company still relied on sports car enthusiasts to stay solvent, you can bet they would have paid more attention to one of the single most expensive options on their halo cars.

First the delayed introduction of LWBs on the GT3 - if not for the engine debacle there may have only been a dozen GT3s with LWBs - and now delayed introduction on the GT4, perhaps not available at all on the lightest cars they make, etc. Not to mention those that were expecting to buy them from their parts department, or hoping to order them on other models (as you could with the GT2 seats on the 987/997).

And I still think they are the wrong seats. Yes, they look cool. But IMO they should have certified the GT2 folding buckets for the U.S. market 981/991; the non-folding LWBs should be for the 918 and Club Sport optioned cars, where access behind the seats is less important. But I'll bet we got the LWBs in a profit-maximizing move so they wouldn't have to certify both the LWBs for the 918, and also the GT2 seats for the other sports cars. Just as they maximized profit by only offering one transmission in the GT3, GT3RS, GT4, and Spyder.

They are proudly breaking records in a booming economy, yet leaving what used to be their core market not knowing if or when they will get a car, and if they do, what options it will have, or what color it will be. Anybody still believe they sell SUVs in order to make the sports cars their core group of enthusiasts want?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

If PAG offered the folding GT2 or 997 RS.2 seats and no delay, I'd take them!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

On that note - does anyone know if the GT2 buckets will bolt into a 991 without any changes to the seat base?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 PM
MoeGt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great write up
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
On that note - does anyone know if the GT2 buckets will bolt into a 991 without any changes to the seat base?
Yes, it will bolt right in. Even the wiring harnesses will plug in. The only problem is the seat occupancy detector on the passenger side isn't compatible with the 991 and will trigger a light.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

It would be very interesting to dig into how the demographics of GT3 buyers may have changed over the years since their introduction. I would surmise that the take rate of cars with LWBS may somehow reflects a change in demographics as well as the fact that these are being ordered by "enthusiasts." The most recent models have coincided with a booming stock market and I would believe that has materially affected the take rate not just for the cars themselves but for the options associated with them. In any event someone dropped the ball.

Quick Reply: Why the Shortage of LWB Seats - A Tragedy worthy of play by William Shakespeare?