Auto companies don't want you working on your car

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:58 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auto companies don't want you working on your car

Don't work on your own car.

GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal including Porsche...

once you read this the phrase single digit salute may come to mind

Boldride
Jeff Perez‎April‎ ‎22‎, ‎2015

One of the inherent rights of owning a vehicle is the ability to get on one’s backside — a wrench in one hand and a grease rag in the other, and just tinker to your little heart’s desire. Since the vehicle was invented, it’s been an important facet within the community of gearheads.
General Motors — the same company responsible for 87 deaths related to faulty ignition switches, FYI — wants to take that right away from you citing safety and security issues. Along with a few other big names such as Ford who has more defects then any other auto maker to date.
It’s called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). It’s been around since 2000 and started as anti-Internet piracy legislation. But automakers want to use it to try and make working on your own car illegal. Yes, illegal. The general premise is that unlike cars of the past, today’s vehicles are so advanced and use such a large amount of software and coding in their general makeup, altering said code could be dangerous and possibly even malicious.

Listing the vehicle as a “mobile computing device,” the law would hypothetically protect automakers from pesky owners looking to alter any sort of technology in the vehicle that relates to the onboard computer. Flashing your ECU would be a big no no, which could also lead to all sorts of problems for aftermarket shops.
What GM, Ford,Chrysler and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology. If it sounds ridiculous— it is. But it gets even more ludicrous.
According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, John Deere argued that “letting people modify car computer systems will result in them pirating music through the on-board entertainment system.”
That’s right— pirating music. Through a tractor.
RELATED: This Multi-Armed Tractor is Agricultural Erotica

DMCA does give a little bit of leeway, though. While the act could hypothetically lock customers out of key safety features, it would still allow owners the ability to repair other areas of the vehicle’s onboard computer as they see fit. It’s a slim compromise, but one that may be more closely based in reality.
As it currently sits, there are 13 (!) large automakers on the list supporting the DMCA. Want to know who they are? Of course you do:
General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volkswagen Group of America
Volvo Cars North America
Ironically, one of the brands that relies most on technology in its vehicles — Tesla Motors — in not in support of DMCA. While other American companies like GM, Ford and Chrysler all agree that working on your own vehicle should be punishable by law.
Funny how three brands that pride themselves on American ingenuity don’t want customers to work on their cars.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:43 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is B***S***. Rented to use their technologyy???? The end of the car is near.. It is very sad. People should be encouraged to work on their own cars.
Between this and cars driving themselves, the future of cars and car addicts doesn't look too bright. Hopefully I won't be alive to see that happen. I love cars just wayy too much.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Looks like they're primarily talking about ECU reflashes.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

"...... the law would hypothetically protect automakers from pesky owners looking to alter any sort of technology in the vehicle that relates to the onboard computer."

It seems the issue is around messing with the proprietary coding in the ECU. Manipulation of code isn't necessary to do such as oil changes, brake maintenance, etc. so prohibition of those type of DIY items aren't likely to be affected. Yet....
Old 04-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. we have been discussing in off topic forum. The new gen OBD3 will be out soon. It will be very tough to crack. But there will always be someone who can outsmart the manufacturers. that being said they will be able to track even the smallest and harmless mods. Believe it or not John Deere is claiming that farmers who have bought new generation equipment technically dont own the machinery. And that John Deere still owns the intellectual devices that run the machines. Very scary. Imagine paying $800,000 for a tractor and the manufacturer claims it is still theirs.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:03 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like folks taking advantage of a law that should probably be revisited.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every once in a while I'll see something that makes me happy about getting older and this story is a good example. I was telling my 15 year old yesterday how certain 'old school' things that I hold so dear are being removed/ watered down from newer cars and his generation will never know better to miss them (ie car keys, e-brakes with a handle, NA motors, manual transmission, etc). He thinks it 'very cool' that future Pcars will have turbos. The John Deere scenario is very real and very scary. Although I'm sure there will be fantastic and quicker cars in my sons lifetime, Im quite content to be living in my prime during this generation. I can't imagine being able to buy and sell a car but never 'own' it or be able to mod it as I please without risk of being on the wrong side of the law.

Quick Reply: Auto companies don't want you working on your car