Sponsored by:

Oil Measurement Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Measurement Not Working

So I've tried on a few occasions to measure my oil level.

Parked, on a level surface, idling with engine at temp. Tried it in park and neutral.

All I get is this error:

Any suggestions? Is there a little trick I'm missing? It won't let me leave this screen on and it reverts to the Vehicle menu after a couple seconds.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

This has happened to me numerous times. I did solve the issue by letting the car idle a couple of minutes and THEN it would give a reading.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:35 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Like he said ^
Old 04-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Bartron
Racer

Thanks guys, I'll try it before the next lapping session.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:47 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you open engine bay lid before it happened?

It usually happens once you open the lid, for example to add some oil. If so, then you'll most likely be able to read oil level tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine temp must reach 90C, then idle at level for a few mins.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really. Mine started working with 60C and several seconds of idling at the morning the day after i added some oil and had the same problem. Unfortunately there's no guaranteed "system" with this issue, IMHO.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:58 AM
Bartron
Racer

So I let it idle for a bit and it finally gave me a reading. Reassuring that the level was right on. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Bartron
Racer

Default According to Porsche....

I had my SA email the tech notes to me. I can't post a PDF so I'll copy/paste here:

Engine oil level measurement in the 991 GT3

INFORMATION 1

With the 991 GT3, it is possible to perform dynamic measurement during idling phases when the engine is at operating temperature.
- The oil level measurement method described below is possible because of the dry*sump lubrication system and the associated design of the oil tank and the sensor.

NOTE: Dry sump lubrication. Engine damage due to overfilling.

- Fill in engine oil only when the engine is not running.
- Opening the rear lid for at least 15 seconds will reset the engine oil level in the instrument cluster.
- Owing to the dry*sump lubrication system of the 911 GT3, the oil level can be determined only while the engine is running.

Sensor
- The sensor consists of an ultrasound sensor with an integrated evaluation unit and a temperature sensor for measuring the oil temperature.
- A measuring cup with a supply bore at the bottom end and a vent bore at the top end is fitted over the ultrasound sensor.
- The supply bore is supplemented with a meandering structure, which permits measurement over a large operating range.
- This is necessary from a technical viewpoint in order to permit reliable measurement.

MEASURING LOGIC: Dynamic measurement

INFORMATION 2
If the rpm or acceleration condition is exceeded during the idle speed phase, no oil*level value will be recorded during the next 40 seconds.

How?
Meet preconditions for more than 2 minutes:
- Vehicle standstill
- Rear lid closed
- Engine running with speed < 1,000 rpm
- Oil temperature at the oil*level sensor 85 ... 110 °C (185 ... 230 °F)
- Longitudinal and lateral acceleration < 0.5 m/s2 or inclination < 3°

The most recently determined valid value is displayed in the instrument cluster. The measured values are averaged over a specified number of valid measurements.

Display in instrument cluster

The measurement result is transferred to the instrument cluster via CAN.
- The result is displayed in the instrument cluster.
- This value can always be displayed, even if only the ignition is switched on.
- If an oil level is displayed, this was valid during the last measuring phase.

All determined measured values are discarded:
- If the rear lid is open for more than 15 seconds.
- Oil may have been added. OR
- If the vehicle has travelled a certain distance and no oil level measurement was performed. The distance depends on engine speed and temperature values (guideline value approx. 300 to 400 km/186 to 249 miles).

- The oil level can now no longer be seen in the display at first.
- The message Oil level information currently unavailable is output. When the engine is cold, this message continues to be displayed until the oil temperature (> 85 °C/185 °F) permits a valid measurement.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:14 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The engineer who is responsible for this oil sensor / reading procedure should be fired with immediate effect.........
Old 04-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Fantastic info, thank you!! So the reason some folks might not be getting a reading may simply be that they are on a slight incline, or not waiting the full 2 minutes, or not completely up to 185+ degF.

I don't mind the system, personally (sounds like a trade-off of having dry sump in the first place), but it would certainly be better if the "no measurement available" message more accurately told you a list of reasons why (e.g., wait 35 more seconds, or oil not yet at 185 degF, or inclination detected, etc.).

Originally Posted by Bartron
I had my SA email the tech notes to me. I can't post a PDF so I'll copy/paste here:

Engine oil level measurement in the 991 GT3

INFORMATION 1

With the 991 GT3, it is possible to perform dynamic measurement during idling phases when the engine is at operating temperature.
- The oil level measurement method described below is possible because of the dry*sump lubrication system and the associated design of the oil tank and the sensor.

NOTE: Dry sump lubrication. Engine damage due to overfilling.

- Fill in engine oil only when the engine is not running.
- Opening the rear lid for at least 15 seconds will reset the engine oil level in the instrument cluster.
- Owing to the dry*sump lubrication system of the 911 GT3, the oil level can be determined only while the engine is running.

Sensor
- The sensor consists of an ultrasound sensor with an integrated evaluation unit and a temperature sensor for measuring the oil temperature.
- A measuring cup with a supply bore at the bottom end and a vent bore at the top end is fitted over the ultrasound sensor.
- The supply bore is supplemented with a meandering structure, which permits measurement over a large operating range.
- This is necessary from a technical viewpoint in order to permit reliable measurement.

MEASURING LOGIC: Dynamic measurement

INFORMATION 2
If the rpm or acceleration condition is exceeded during the idle speed phase, no oil*level value will be recorded during the next 40 seconds.

How?
Meet preconditions for more than 2 minutes:
- Vehicle standstill
- Rear lid closed
- Engine running with speed < 1,000 rpm
- Oil temperature at the oil*level sensor 85 ... 110 °C (185 ... 230 °F)
- Longitudinal and lateral acceleration < 0.5 m/s2 or inclination < 3°

The most recently determined valid value is displayed in the instrument cluster. The measured values are averaged over a specified number of valid measurements.

Display in instrument cluster

The measurement result is transferred to the instrument cluster via CAN.
- The result is displayed in the instrument cluster.
- This value can always be displayed, even if only the ignition is switched on.
- If an oil level is displayed, this was valid during the last measuring phase.

All determined measured values are discarded:
- If the rear lid is open for more than 15 seconds.
- Oil may have been added. OR
- If the vehicle has travelled a certain distance and no oil level measurement was performed. The distance depends on engine speed and temperature values (guideline value approx. 300 to 400 km/186 to 249 miles).

- The oil level can now no longer be seen in the display at first.
- The message Oil level information currently unavailable is output. When the engine is cold, this message continues to be displayed until the oil temperature (> 85 °C/185 °F) permits a valid measurement.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

How much would it have cost Porsche to add a real dipstick to go along with this video game? I guess in the old days, plenty of people had bad readings due to checking with the motor not running or not hot enough or not level enough. But I hate to rely on electronics for something so fundamental.
The following users liked this post:
Madisongy (12-09-2020)
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I don't mind the system, personally (sounds like a trade-off of having dry sump in the first place), but it would certainly be better if the "no measurement available" message more accurately told you a list of reasons why (e.g., wait 35 more seconds, or oil not yet at 185 degF, or inclination detected, etc.).
^ +100. Spot on. That's how it works in my 997 GTS - you get messages saying that the oil temperature is not warm enough yet, or that you can only take a measurement at idle, and you get a countdown timer for the measurement when at idle. Eliminates all of the confusion that we have seen reported on this board dozens of times. Don't know why Porsche eliminated the messages.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

It seems almost random. I've gotten readings while driving at a constant speed. Then when idling on a flat surface, nothing. Very strange or moody system.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:52 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
It seems almost random. I've gotten readings while driving at a constant speed. Then when idling on a flat surface, nothing. Very strange or moody system.
You are not really getting a reading while driving at a constant speed. What you are seeing is only a display of the last reading, which was only taken when you were last sitting at idle with warm oil for about two minutes.

So depending on your driving pattern, you could be seeing the display of a reading from many days ago.

Quick Reply: Oil Measurement Not Working