Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gaining interest in Sport bucket seats

Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I wonder how much of a premium will have to be paid for red stitching in an aftermarket seat, or easy they will be to get? Since I was anticipating the possibility of retrofitting LWB's at some point, that was one of the reasons I chose platinum stitching for the interior in the first place.
On the GT2 buckets there was never any options when ordering from tequipment. Black stitching. Embossed headrest. No embroidering. They all came that way.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
On the GT2 buckets there was never any options when ordering from tequipment. Black stitching. Embossed headrest. No embroidering. They all came that way.
Hmmm....it would disappointing not to be able to match the platinum stitching in my interior or to lose the "GT3" in the headrest. I had assumed they would come in a configuration specific to the GT3 but I can understand how having one generic Tequipment seat that would work in different models would make sense to Porsche. We'll have to see....
Old 04-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I wonder how much of a premium will have to be paid for red stitching in an aftermarket seat, or easy they will be to get? Since I was anticipating the possibility of retrofitting LWB's at some point, that was one of the reasons I chose platinum stitching for the interior in the first place.
Suncoast is putting these threads in other model forums - e.g. 991 - so they are casting a wider net than just 991 gt3 owners.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8704...ket-seats.html

And the default (standard) stitching on a regular 991 (looks 'blah') is different than the distinctive 'Platinum Grey' for the 991 gt3. And the 991/981 GTS has default stitching in 'Rhodium Silver' which doesn't match our 'Platinum Grey'. So the chances that Suncoast will order these 918 buckets with default (standard) stitching in gt3 'Platinum Grey' are almost as good as that they'll order them in 'red'...although the gt3 market would seem the most obviously interested at first. So expect to pay extra for your particular 'deviating' stitching regardless...if they even offer it! In the past, Suncoast was not ordering special color stitching for the 997 era gt2 sport bucket seats. As a result, they always looked very 'bland'.

Hopefully, it will be different this time around!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Personally, I think if there is going to be a group buy for LWB my first choice would not be Suncoast.

I'd check with a willing Porsche dealer.

No dog in this race as I'm retrofitting aftermarket buckets. And just gazing into my crystal ball with my cataract infested eyes shows that these buckets will be just around the 5 figure mark.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:17 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
That is why I am asking Suncoast to import a CURRENT gt2 type bucket seat as sold by Porsche to the ROW and test it on a US 991/981. So far, all the installations I have seen or heard of involve 997-era gt2 type bucket seats! And the current ROW gt2's come with a heating option...something that might interest many, especially those ordering 981 Boxsters (e.g. the new Spyder)!

Yes, we keep getting conflicting reports. Some have been able to make it work. Others not. The test comes at the time when in a crash the system calls for airbag deployment. Will the seat's built-in thorax airbags work? That is my principal concern.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

This doesn't make any sense. Do you even know the DOT crash requirements and the tests/costs required? You are pushing for those seats and are asking a dealer to cover those certification costs and I also bet you don't want to pay the cost spreads. This isn't PTS cost you know.

I'm out of this thread with BS posts like this; and that from a member who so far had a good rep on here, had perceived integrity. Not anymore in my book.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

And the default (standard) stitching on a regular 991 (looks 'blah') is different than the distinctive 'Platinum Grey' for the 991 gt3. And the 991/981 GTS has default stitching in 'Rhodium Silver' which doesn't match our 'Platinum Grey'. So the chances that Suncoast will order these 918 buckets with default (standard) stitching in gt3 'Platinum Grey' are almost as good as that they'll order them in 'red'...although the gt3 market would seem the most obviously interested at first. So expect to pay extra for your particular 'deviating' stitching regardless...if they even offer it! In the past, Suncoast was not ordering special color stitching for the 997 era gt2 sport bucket seats. As a result, they always looked very 'bland'.

Hopefully, it will be different this time around!
Thanks for the insight, Eduardo. Hopefully, if I do this, I can order a seat from someone that will be a proper and correct fit for my car. If it's something generic looking with no logo, and for sure if it has mismatched stitching, I'm out. The 18 way seats aren't bad at all support and comfort wise, just a little heavy.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Personally, I think if there is going to be a group buy for LWB my first choice would not be Suncoast.

I'd check with a willing Porsche dealer.

No dog in this race as I'm retrofitting aftermarket buckets. And just gazing into my crystal ball with my cataract infested eyes shows that these buckets will be just around the 5 figure mark.
And unless they are at most very, very low 5 figures, I'm out....
Old 04-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ExMB
This doesn't make any sense. Do you even know the DOT crash requirements and the tests/costs required? You are pushing for those seats and are asking a dealer to cover those certification costs and I also bet you don't want to pay the cost spreads. This isn't PTS cost you know.

I'm out of this thread with BS posts like this; and that from a member who so far had a good rep on here, had perceived integrity. Not anymore in my book.

I am not asking Suncoast for them to cover the certification costs. They are importing a 'part', not a vehicle that needs the seats to be certified. They already import the .2 997 gt2 sport bucket seats. I am asking them to import the current .1 991/981 gt2 sport bucket seat and try to fit them in a 991 of a customer. That is all. Where are you getting these other thoughts?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I may be in the minority, but if I get LWBs for my 991 GT3 I want the OEM seat that belongs in the 991, has full functionality including airbags and weight sensor, and requires no hacks or workarounds to install. Beyond that, it depends on price.
+991. So bummed my 14 didn't have lwb option.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

'User' ExMB: Since I have lost all 'integrity' according to you, I will stop as of today from participating any further on Rennlist until you post something useful on our forum...or you become a dues-paying member to help shoulder your fair share for using the bandwidth on this web-based Porsche enthusiast community.

Eduardo
Carmel

Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

'User' ExMB: Since I have lost all 'integrity' according to you, I will stop as of today from participating any further on Rennlist until you post something useful on our forum...or you become a dues-paying member to help shoulder your fair share for using the bandwidth on this web-based Porsche enthusiast community.

Eduardo
Carmel

Eduardo, you're being silly and acting out. I agree the offending post was uncalled for. Yet, you have been here a long time and you know the you cannot make everyone happy. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

You provide valuable information. Move on.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:40 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow.....he has earned the right to speak up. You can disagree all you want with what he says but many including me appreciate the contribution even if you disagree.....for the love of everything holy many years ago I would not have been able to figure out PTS without him, then Porsche changed the rules and now I'm back to ground zero again but that's on Porsche!?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:47 PM
autoxerGT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Suncoast, given what we have seen on another thread on this topic, what is the status of your LWB (project/order?) with Porsche?
Old 05-31-2015, 07:55 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxerGT3
Suncoast, given what we have seen on another thread on this topic, what is the status of your LWB (project/order?) with Porsche?
Delayed again and after that....delayed again
Old 05-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Eduardo, forget about exmb.

99% of us on rennlist greatly appreciate what you bring to the forum.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Eduardo
Carmel

Eduardo. We've known each other a long time. I've just come back to the forum after a few months MIA after the Big Cyclone. Reading your posts these last few weeks on a variety of subjects from your fabulous green GT3 (congrats by the way :-)), PTS, seats etc and catching up on your posts these last few months has given me a huge amount of pleasure. I love sinking into one of your posts, often I put the coffee pot on and savour up the layers of details and links you provide. I always learn so much even after forgetting at least 2/3 what you teach me. If there is ever a trip to SF where I have a few days spare I want to come and visit you - your on my list buddy as "most interesting Porsche fella!". Also love to talk Cuba - we were there for 3 weeks in 2012 :-).

Eduardo. Im asking you a big favour mate. I want you to keep posting. Ignore the BS. Im going to be selfish and tell you I need you to keep posting now for ME. Because Im enjoying being back on RL after some testing times and your posts are providing me so much enjoyment recently that if you stop I may as well quit too. Im serious. Dont let one ignorant spoil it for the rest of us mate. You are WAY to valuable around here to be silent. Please. Keep posting for ME!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gaining interest in Sport bucket seats