Sponsored by:

The RS Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default The RS Conundrum

So, like some of you gents, I am thinking about making the move from the 991 3 to the RS and mentally masterabate the pros/cons of such a move ad nauseum (I know, life is tough). I also suffer from a touch of car ADD and going against some good medical advice I am currently not interested in seeking treatment.

I break the decision down into three main categories: (assume for sake of discussion I actually do get an allocation for MSRP, big assumption I know!)

1) $$$$$$- cost to do such a transaction from the point of buying a car that is 50k more than my current car, depreciation/resale of 3 vs RS, cost of ownership (maintenance, track insurance, etc)
As some previous posts have stated in the past, the GT3 really is a bargin for what you get from Porsche and other marques.

2) pleasurability- is it REALLY gonna tickle my G spot that much more than a STD. 3? Will I be more **** about where I take/park the car?, I am not a fan of attracting attention, etc (Disclaimer, I have never driven a RS car/Cup like Car)

3) collectibility/exclusivity- is a RS that much more of a "gem" vs a STD. 3, i.e. will they produce less, will it be more revered in the history books, etc.?

I guess because I have never driven an RS, I just have a tough time justifying the premium of one compared to a 3, and would love to hear from the folks who have past experience with both the 3 and the RS because to me on paper I am not so sure it would be a good move for me personally, as my only real concern/goal/objective is to have as much fun as I possibly can on four wheels weather it be on ROAD or TRACK. I also feel that my current GT3 is the best car I have ever had the privilege of owning/driving, it's motoring nirvana, the best anti-depressant ever formulated, and just plain f%$@ing awesome.

Appreciate this forum and your thoughts!!

P-Car777
Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

You should stop masturbating, and just do it.

Otherwise, you'll keep thinking about the RS, and end up with really hairy palms.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, I have emotionally moved on from my 3 to the RS. I still don't know if I will be official in the build dept until next round of allocations in late May supposedly. If I don't get one...I will fall back in love with my 3. I'm trying not to get attached as I am reasonably sure I will get my RS.

As far as the money part goes, if you can afford it, do it. You only live once...That works for me anyway.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Having read your post, it's already too late for you, the RS is in your head and there is no fix except an RS. But I promise once you do it you will NOT regret it.

Even with the less differentiated .1RS, I can't remember a post where the owner wished they'd bought a GT3 instead.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll come at this from a slightly different direction as I haven't owned an RS so can't give you the exact perspective you're looking for.

One of the concerns expressed by a number of posters when the 991 3 came out was whether it's performance could be used on the road, hence why PDK instead of a MT, why RWS, why be concerned about it's performance improvements over the 7.2 version, etc. etc.

So now we have the RS which promises to be incrementally faster than the 3. Is it a difference with a distinction? Not for the street, unless you intend to seriously track a $200K toy. Is it a value proposition? Will it be more revered in the history books? Not all that relevant unless you plan to keep it a while which doesn't seem to be a majority position if this forum is any indication.

I don't think you can rationalize the purchase of an RS over a 3. But if that big wing speaks to you in Lava Orange or Barney Purple it probably doesn't matter and you should just go with it regardless of whether it makes sense or not. I honestly have zero regrets over not waiting for an RS allocation, which I could have had, but that's just my $.02.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

I have been thinking about this myself, not because I am waiting for one but I think this RS might be the best DD RS yet. In the past, I think a 997 RS could certainly work as a DD but was not perfect. Now that we are in the 991 Gen with all of the amenities/advancements this RS could be much more useable. Unless this thing is more hardcore than any of us know. Although getting my morning coffee would be a complete car show. Not sure I could deal with it...
Old 04-23-2015, 10:35 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Otherwise, you'll keep thinking about the RS, and end up with really hairy palms.

HAHA! Here I thought I wasn't washing my hands well enough after applying my nightly minoxidil treatment to my scalp!!

Originally Posted by rockitman
For me, I have emotionally moved on from my 3 to the RS. I still don't know if I will be official in the build dept until next round of allocations in late May supposedly. If I don't get one...I will fall back in love with my 3. I'm trying not to get attached as I am reasonably sure I will get my RS.

As far as the money part goes, if you can afford it, do it. You only live once...That works for me anyway.
I hear ya, I just can't imagine, better than the "3", I am sure you will get a build spot!!

Originally Posted by consolidated
Having read your post, it's already too late for you, the RS is in your head and there is no fix except an RS. But I promise once you do it you will NOT regret it.

Even with the less differentiated .1RS, I can't remember a post where the owner wished they'd bought a GT3 instead.
This is what I was afraid someone would say..so hard to resist! So the delta between the two is really bigger than I think it is, the sum of its parts kinda thing!?!?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

You must go to the RS. It will eat away at you everytime you see one.

You wil take a hit on the GT3 to get the RS. And when you sell the RS you will take a hit again....

But you will enjoy the RS.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
I have been thinking about this myself, not because I am waiting for one but I think this RS might be the best DD RS yet. In the past, I think a 997 RS could certainly work as a DD but was not perfect. Now that we are in the 991 Gen with all of the amenities/advancements this RS could be much more useable. Unless this thing is more hardcore than any of us know. Although getting my morning coffee would be a complete car show. Not sure I could deal with it...
I wish I could daily drive these beasts, but its just too much for me to do so..honestly I really don't like that feeling of being under the limelight so to speak. The irony is that, at least as far as the GT3 is concerned, its really really doable as a DD.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-Car777
I wish I could daily drive these beasts, but its just too much for me to do so..honestly I really don't like that feeling of being under the limelight so to speak. The irony is that, at least as far as the GT3 is concerned, its really really doable as a DD.
I daily my GT3.

I'm sure the RS could be doable as a daily, but I'm pretty sure I would not want to daily it.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
You must go to the RS. It will eat away at you everytime you see one.

You wil take a hit on the GT3 to get the RS. And when you sell the RS you will take a hit again....

But you will enjoy the RS.
thats just it, I am not so sure it would eat at me, and taking a minor hit is one thing, but to take a couple major ones makes me take pause, sorry I mean makes the Mrs. take pause
Old 04-23-2015, 10:49 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Funnyest post I have read in a long time.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carcommander
Funnyest post I have read in a long time.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

So, like some of you gents, I am thinking about making the move from the 991 3 to the RS and mentally masterabate the pros/cons of such a move ad nauseum (I know, life is tough). I also suffer from a touch of car ADD and going against some good medical advice I am currently not interested in seeking treatment.

I break the decision down into three main categories: (assume for sake of discussion I actually do get an allocation for MSRP, big assumption I know!)

1) $$$$$$- cost to do such a transaction from the point of buying a car that is 50k more than my current car, depreciation/resale of 3 vs RS, cost of ownership (maintenance, track insurance, etc)
As some previous posts have stated in the past, the GT3 really is a bargin for what you get from Porsche and other marques.

2) pleasurability- is it REALLY gonna tickle my G spot that much more than a STD. 3? Will I be more **** about where I take/park the car?, I am not a fan of attracting attention, etc (Disclaimer, I have never driven a RS car/Cup like Car)

3) collectibility/exclusivity- is a RS that much more of a "gem" vs a STD. 3, i.e. will they produce less, will it be more revered in the history books, etc.?

I guess because I have never driven an RS, I just have a tough time justifying the premium of one compared to a 3, and would love to hear from the folks who have past experience with both the 3 and the RS because to me on paper I am not so sure it would be a good move for me personally, as my only real concern/goal/objective is to have as much fun as I possibly can on four wheels weather it be on ROAD or TRACK. I also feel that my current GT3 is the best car I have ever had the privilege of owning/driving, it's motoring nirvana, the best anti-depressant ever formulated, and just plain f%$@ing awesome.

Appreciate this forum and your thoughts!!

P-Car777
#3 is firmly in the RS camp. It is the ultimate NA Porsche, and for many that's all they will accept. Collectors favor RS for that reason, but a regular RS still isn't that rare, you need to be 997 4.0 RS to really be collectible.

#2 is a completely personal decision. I think most GT3 and RS drivers treat and think of their cars in the same way. Both are WAY more special than a generic 911. Both are truly track cars you can drive on the street.

#1 finances depend on you look at it. (GT3/RS both depreciate much slower than regular 911). Over a given period of time the GT3 depreciates at a higher rate than than the RS, but you have an extra 50K gone from buying the RS that could be earning you 10%/year somewhere. Over a decade, there isn't a huge real difference in actual money spent between the two cars.

Really a personal decision. Personally, I think the GT3 looks like an intense race ready 911, but is still an elegant car. The RS is just over the top, and loses the elegance.

The 50K isn't worth it to me, and the performance gap between the GT3 and RS is tiny compared to the gap between the 911 and the GT3.

I want to race all day, then take my lady to a French restaurant or to a symphony at night. I feel comfortable doing that in my GT3, I wouldn't in an RS.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-23-2015 at 10:57 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-23-2015, 10:53 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

thats just it, I am not so sure it would eat at me, and taking a minor hit is one thing, but to take a couple major ones makes me take pause, sorry I mean makes the Mrs. take pause
You won't take that much hit if you pre trade it. If anything a small one.

I doubt you will take that much hit on the RS either unless you keep it several years.

A gt3 is more subtle than an RS but not that much. If I were going to DD it I would keep the GT3.

I have other vehicles for a night out with my GF.

Quick Reply: The RS Conundrum