Sponsored by:

The RS Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KenU
And I'm assuming that going to 9k so early did no harm to the car, not that you do it regularly (another assumption on my part) - or do you?

Kinda puts to rest the concerns about premature break-in, no?
KenU,

I have seen 9K a few times in the 1000 miles I have on the car with no harm but it's not something I do every day. My philosophy is once the car is up to operating temperature (both engine and tires), has at it. I have my first track day on Sunday and the car will be spending alot of time in the upper rev range and I have no concerns. These cars are engineered to handle this and this is why I'm a big Porsche fan; run it on the track all day and drive home in comfort after.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:56 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Having read your post, it's already too late for you, the RS is in your head and there is no fix except an RS. But I promise once you do it you will NOT regret it.

Even with the less differentiated .1RS, I can't remember a post where the owner wished they'd bought a GT3 instead.
This. Just do it. You are already doomed.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:17 AM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conekilr
KenU,

I have seen 9K a few times in the 1000 miles I have on the car with no harm but it's not something I do every day. My philosophy is once the car is up to operating temperature (both engine and tires), has at it. I have my first track day on Sunday and the car will be spending alot of time in the upper rev range and I have no concerns. These cars are engineered to handle this and this is why I'm a big Porsche fan; run it on the track all day and drive home in comfort after.

Agreed Peter. I can't imagine, even with 50, 100 miles, etc on the car that it couldn't handle the higher RPM's notwithstanding the cautionary break-in protocols. I'm not advocating doing 9k on a regular basis on these very early miles, but I find it extremely frustrating trying to keep this car below 6k or even 7k having only 60 miles on it and drive it only on weekends.
Sorry for going off topic here, but you got me going with your 9k/50 miles post. I thought I was the only one who "cheated".
PS - your car is absolutely gorgeous!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:06 AM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
IMO no car over about 16K is a bargain. It's just something you do if you can rationalize doing it.
Don't get me started.

I was in the market for a high performance car, and considered a Ferrari. They are wonderful machines, but a GT3 is a bargain compared to them - Ferraris have $3K carbon fiber cup holders!

The GT3 isn't cheap, but it is a value.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts
Default The RS Conundrum

unfortunately for many of us even if we want to make the switch it's likely we won't have the option due to availability
Old 04-25-2015, 12:49 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
Don't get me started.

I was in the market for a high performance car, and considered a Ferrari. They are wonderful machines, but a GT3 is a bargain compared to them - Ferraris have $3K carbon fiber cup holders!

The GT3 isn't cheap, but it is a value.
It's cheaper but 140k really? Lol. I quit trying to rationalize it long ago.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:40 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

So I drove the beast today for the first time in about 10 days or so (work/family/life), and MAN OH MAN...it's like that old milwaukee beer commercial back in the day where they are all sitting around the campfire and one of the dudes says..."guys...it just doesn't get any better than this!!"

THE SOUND AT 9K from 1st-then 2nd- then 3rd...GOOD GOLLIE MISS MOLLY!!!

I can't even imagine if the RS is better...maybe I should just be content and count my lucky stars that I gave a GT3 and not let my mind masterbate so much .....until of course the reviews start popping up about the RS
Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
So I drove the beast today for the first time in about 10 days or so (work/family/life), and MAN OH MAN...it's like that old milwaukee beer commercial back in the day where they are all sitting around the campfire and one of the dudes says..."guys...it just doesn't get any better than this!!"

THE SOUND AT 9K from 1st-then 2nd- then 3rd...GOOD GOLLIE MISS MOLLY!!!

I can't even imagine if the RS is better...maybe I should just be content and count my lucky stars that I gave a GT3 and not let my mind masterbate so much .....until of course the reviews start popping up about the RS
Something to keep in mind, there is no sound at 9k in the RS.

Better kiss Miss Molly goodbye.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:36 AM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like TrakCar, I had a 4.0.

I now have a 991 GT3.

My initial plan was to go RS.

And GT4.

Dealer called and gave me a Sophie's Choice. Pick one.

I went GT4.

Unlike TrakCar, my opinion is, if you're 80% road, GT3 is plenty good. In fact, I think even a 3 is overkill. I almost took it back and got a GTS (for the manual). The GT4 will take care of the manual issue and the GTS just lacked that punch I was already used to in the 3.

BTW, I should also mention I also have a '14 Cay S stripper with x73 and manual that's holding me over till GT4. If anyone is looking for one, let me know. It'll be avail soon.

So, I say pass. But personal preference. I hated thinking about the odometer when I opened the garage in the morning with the 4.0. And I don't like tracking cars that have a 2 number as the first digit in MSRP. And finally, if, and it's a huge if, I can extract 90% of the performance out of the 3, I'll reward myself with an RS. I think I'm safe for awhile. Or ever.

Anyway, these are good problems. Good luck either way.

PS - dealer asked me to pick one but would have honored my place if I wanted to take both. So, I passed on RS with intent. I'm sure it'll be amazing. Just not for me.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's relative, of course, but ride less harsh due to milder springs and dampers? Not as loud? I suppose those things will have to wait to be confirmed. For sure the 3 is more understated, which is a plus for some. Well, me anyway....
Yes, an RS wont be mistaken easily for a C4S with a sport package..
I could never tell the difference in ride between .2 GT# and .2RS, only the 4.0 was softer due to helper springs. All the harder joints and bushings make no difference at all to me.

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I would be surprised if there is much ride difference in the default setting from the GT3 to the RS. I understood it was optimized for the ring on the 3, so I expect the RS to feel similar to the 3.
Its could well be no difference or even softer = better for me at Sebring and daily. Even full bushing RS was always plenty comfy, just don't slam it to the ground (Doesn't work at Sebring anyway).

Originally Posted by tradervic

I now have a 991 GT3.

And GT4.

I went GT4.

Unlike TrakCar, my opinion is, if you're 80% road, GT3 is plenty good. In fact, I think even a 3 is overkill. I almost took it back and got a GTS (for the manual). The GT4 will take care of the manual issue and the GTS just lacked that punch I was already used to in the 3.

BTW, I should also mention I also have a '14 Cay S stripper with x73 and manual that's holding me over till GT4. If anyone is looking for one, let me know. It'll be avail soon.

So, I say pass. But personal preference. I hated thinking about the odometer when I opened the garage in the morning with the 4.0. And I don't like tracking cars that have a 2 number as the first digit in MSRP. And finally, if, and it's a huge if, I can extract 90% of the performance out of the 3, I'll reward myself with an RS. I think I'm safe for awhile. Or ever.

PS - dealer asked me to pick one but would have honored my place if I wanted to take both. So, I passed on RS with intent. I'm sure it'll be amazing. Just not for me.
Good problems
For me, I have a 911 relic race car and I have already a real drivers 911 DE car. Its race legal so very safe for crashing. (Did that in this car, I was lucky, not even sore the next day).

If you have a GT3 for street its overkill, just like a C2S, just like almost all sports cars these days?
That's why track. The GT3 is more than anyone could wish for both on track or street but considering the depreciation will be the same, I'll take the RS.
I wouldn't be crying if they never made the RS, but its here and I can get one so why get the GT3? OK, less unwanted attention I guess.

That said, I'm not sure what to do with it after 6 months in Germany....

I already have the 964RSA, I took it to Sebring yesterday. Drove it to and from, had a blast in it going 10 seconds a lap slower than GT3's and since I added AC its pretty comfy to drive to Sebring and back. The cigarette lighter fixed for the V1 radar detector ;-) so home quicker than truck and trailer. Its just a great, cheap do everything car..
I love that car, most enjoyable, fun car I ever took on track. Its a sweetheart.

I imagine its kinda like the GT4, if I can learn to like mid engine.
But I like the price, LSD, 5 lug all that simple stuff we are used too.
Everyone needs that kind of a car though.

The RSA is much the same car in purpose as a full track setup Cayman, and if I find out that I fit in the GT4 with roll bar and buckets and I can get a test ride, its a very tempting solution if I sell RSA --> $$$ These days..

Maybe I find the RS getting to be to much Fiat like and the Cayman GT4 it would be a great addition. Its the new GT3...
In the minority it seems but I think it looks awesome, more purposeful than a GT3 and better proportioned than an RS, the GT4 looks just like a little angry pit bull ready to go annoy GT3's on track :-)
Old 04-26-2015, 03:10 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by tradervic

I now have a 991 GT3.

And GT4.

I went GT4.

Thanks, a GT4/GT3 would be a very nice setup!! Enjoy them!!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I could never tell the difference in ride between .2 GT# and .2RS, only the 4.0 was softer due to helper springs. All the harder joints and bushings make no difference at all to me.

Its could well be no difference or even softer = better for me at Sebring and daily. Even full bushing RS was always plenty comfy, just don't slam it to the ground (Doesn't work at Sebring anyway).

Good problems
For me, I have a 911 relic race car and I have already a real drivers 911 DE car. Its race legal so very safe for crashing. (Did that in this car, I was lucky, not even sore the next day).

If you have a GT3 for street its overkill, just like a C2S, just like almost all sports cars these days?
That's why track. The GT3 is more than anyone could wish for both on track or street but considering the depreciation will be the same, I'll take the RS.
I wouldn't be crying if they never made the RS, but its here and I can get one so why get the GT3? OK, less unwanted attention I guess.

I already have the 964RSA, I took it to Sebring yesterday. Drove it to and from, had a blast in it going 10 seconds a lap slower than GT3's and since I added AC its pretty comfy to drive to Sebring and back. The cigarette lighter fixed for the V1 radar detector ;-) so home quicker than truck and trailer. Its just a great, cheap do everything car..
I love that car, most enjoyable, fun car I ever took on track. Its a sweetheart.

The RSA is much the same car in purpose as a full track setup Cayman, and if I find out that I fit in the GT4 with roll bar and buckets and I can get a test ride, its a very tempting solution if I sell RSA --> $$$ These days..

Maybe I find the RS getting to be to much Fiat like and the Cayman GT4 it would be a great addition. Its the new GT3...
In the minority it seems but I think it looks awesome, more purposeful than a GT3 and better proportioned than an RS, the GT4 looks just like a little angry pit bull ready to go annoy GT3's on track :-)
I also think the GT4 looks awesome!! I have owned both a manual and PDK 981 Cayman S and actually miss the balance of a mid-engined car.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:12 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Something to keep in mind, there is no sound at 9k in the RS.

Better kiss Miss Molly goodbye.
lol
Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best advice for those on the RS fence...give up your allocations. There are many who are not on the fence...
Old 04-26-2015, 07:03 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Good problems

We think somewhat alike. I like the new 3. It certainly is different though. Not good or bad just different. I think the GT4 is awesome looking. If I get an allocation will likely trade the 3 in on it. Sacrilege I know but that's the plan.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:06 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

I currently have the 991 GT3 and love the 991 platform, just got back from a great weekend at the track, one day sunny with lots of grip, today 43 degrees and rain. I find the GT3 just fantastic for the drive to the track and then back. While at the track I just move around way to much in the sport + seats and would love to have LWB and more cornering speed with the aero on the RS. I loved the 997.2 GT3 and loved the RS version even better, more stable at speed and wider front track really added confidence in the corners.Yes the GT3 is plenty of car and certainly overkill, but I just love the RS wide body with fender aero and huge rear wing. The test cars in black just sold me on the awesome. I would love to hold on to some rationalization that it's empirically better ("but this one goes to 11!") but in reality I just think it looks like a bad *** ***** F#<@&. I'm getting one and feel lucky

Quick Reply: The RS Conundrum