Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Msmatt

$30k S to 3

$45k 3 to RS

While they are all emotional purchases, the RS is even more so.......

Ask me how I know.........
The jump from S to 3 is huge IMO, but from 3 to RS, don't know, have never driven a RS. Assuming you have, so please tell me about it!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:32 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
IMO no car over about 16K is a bargain. It's just something you do if you can rationalize doing it.
Precisely why I started thread, so fellow brethren can help push me over the edge so I can lay some blame on someone besides myself of course

"Honey,...I just couldn't help myself it was those damn rennlisters brainwashing me again!!!"
Old 04-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
The jump from S to 3 is huge IMO, but from 3 to RS, don't know, have never driven a RS. Assuming you have, so please tell me about it!!!
I'm making that judgement based on the 997.2. I certainly couldn't get performance advantage for the $$ out of the .2 RS, but bought it anyway on emotion.

On the 991 this go around, I'm buying a 3, but haven't seen and RS in the flesh. My hope is having the 3 in the fleet will help me pass on the RS this go around.......
Old 04-24-2015, 12:45 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FFS - see earlier posts.

Failing that - check out Mark Webber Twitter account
Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The decision on wither to get a RS or not came down to it's intended use for me.
I was #3 on my dealers list for a RS with a decent chance of being bumped up and getting an allocation prior to me getting my GT3.
Once I got my GT3, I passed on the RS. Sure the RS will be more rare, retain it's value better, possibly be faster on the track but none of those were a consideration for me. I wanted a car that I could take on road trips with my wife in relative comfort and do a few track days with a year and hold it's own against some of the more exotic cars that I am fortunate to track with (I'll find out this weekend as this will be my first track day) and the GT3 meets my criteria in spades !!
Worrying about depreciation, rarity and collectibility IMO takes away from the enjoyment of driving. I hit 9K RPM within the first 50 Miles of it's life and it was orgasmic !!

At the end of the day, get the car you want and will enjoy driving.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Originally Posted by Conekilr
The decision on wither to get a RS or not came down to it's intended use for me.
I was #3 on my dealers list for a RS with a decent chance of being bumped up and getting an allocation prior to me getting my GT3.
Once I got my GT3, I passed on the RS. Sure the RS will be more rare, retain it's value better, possibly be faster on the track but none of those were a consideration for me. I wanted a car that I could take on road trips with my wife in relative comfort and do a few track days with a year and hold it's own against some of the more exotic cars that I am fortunate to track with (I'll find out this weekend as this will be my first track day) and the GT3 meets my criteria in spades !!
Worrying about depreciation, rarity and collectibility IMO takes away from the enjoyment of driving. I hit 9K RPM within the first 50 Miles of it's life and it was orgasmic !!

Conekilr - a PTS Gulf blue GT3 is certainly a different question altogether in terms of desirability and emotion, not to mention how it drives.

Beautiful car........
Old 04-24-2015, 10:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
So if I am 85-90% on ROAD and rest on track, RS may not be the way to go
No RS is way to go.

I don't thing the GT3 does anything better except initial cost?
Why would the GT3 be more comfortable?

Not that I'd sell a Gulf GT3 regardless.

Originally Posted by Msmatt
Conekilr - a PTS Gulf blue GT3 is certainly a different question altogether in terms of desirability and emotion, not to mention how it drives.

Beautiful car........
+1
Old 04-24-2015, 11:02 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

And I'm assuming that going to 9k so early did no harm to the car, not that you do it regularly (another assumption on my part) - or do you?

Kinda puts to rest the concerns about premature break-in, no?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't thing the GT3 does anything better except initial cost? Why would the GT3 be more comfortable?
It's relative, of course, but ride less harsh due to milder springs and dampers? Not as loud? I suppose those things will have to wait to be confirmed. For sure the 3 is more understated, which is a plus for some. Well, me anyway....
Old 04-24-2015, 11:18 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would be surprised if there is much ride difference in the default setting from the GT3 to the RS. I understood it was optimized for the ring on the 3, so I expect the RS to feel similar to the 3.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I would be surprised if there is much ride difference in the default setting from the GT3 to the RS. I understood it was optimized for the ring on the 3, so I expect the RS to feel similar to the 3.
Yeah, I just haven't seen numbers for the comparative spring rates so I'm making an assumption based on the fact that the RS has historically had a stiffer suspension. IIUC, they raised the right height on the RS to cope with the greater downforce without having to go to really hard springs so that may have mitigated the issue to some extent, but I would still expect the RS to be stiffer relative to the 3. We'll have to wait for driving feedback.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No RS is way to go.

I don't thing the GT3 does anything better except initial cost?
Why would the GT3 be more comfortable?

Not that I'd sell a Gulf GT3 regardless.

+1
Comfortable as in creature comforts; Leather, heated sports seats, stereo, and AC. I know you can option the RS with the same comforts but for me, a RS should be more extreme with very minimal options, more track focused.

Again, for my intended use, the GT3 was the right choice.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

I think higher operating costs of the RS might more than just a rounding error when compared to the GT3.

Those nice big fat 21" rears and the insurance for the car I'd imagine would be somewhat more pricey than compared with the GT3.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

I suspect lack of sound deadening and 1" larger diameter wheels will have the biggest impact on harshness.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Comfortable as in creature comforts; Leather, heated sports seats, stereo, and AC. I know you can option the RS with the same comforts but for me, a RS should be more extreme with very minimal options, more track focused.

Again, for my intended use, the GT3 was the right choice.

It's just more cc and more downforce. Rest likely just as comfy. The only downside I can see is the Fiat look at me factor. But than Gulf blue GT3's screaming at 9000rpm don't exactly go unnoticed.

Heated seats are the only thing I won't spec but I'm sure she can manage till we get to Chilli's
My point is that a GT3 would be plenty of track weapon for me and the RS is plenty cushion cruiser for you. They are that versatile. The days of compromise are over.

Plenty cars more extreme and more comfy. They GT3 and RS are the ones that can do it all for many.
Maybe the RS should be more hardcore but it isn't.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think higher operating costs of the RS might more than just a rounding error when compared to the GT3.

Those nice big fat 21" rears and the insurance for the car I'd imagine would be somewhat more pricey than compared with the GT3.
Bah, now you are nitpicking. The cost is down to how hard you drive it and how much work you want to do yourself. (Pretty hard and none) so a couple hundred bucks for tires isn't gonna register.

Quick Reply: The RS Conundrum