Sponsored by:

RS AC and Radio delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Vegan and no AC? We will smell you before we see you my friend......
Too true, but you may not see him—because he'll be a pound (or 30) ahead of you on track or road.

To the OP, good on you. A fellow romantic, though a more committed than me. Also depends on where you live/how you use a car. You can probably get away without A/C here for all but 2-3 weeks of the year, but I had a 911 with A/C delete and it was miserable. If it sat out in the sun—at all—its black interior was a sweat chamber. Sold it after a few months. A Cayman R with A/C delete a few years later was similarly miserable—no one wanted to drive it in big heat.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:15 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
RS stands for Rennsport not Reichtumsport. Interior is already stuffed with too much froufrou as it is.

A proper RS would bin the Panapoopoo console, include perlon seats, have simple cf switch panel dash, no carpet, cf door cards, yadda, yadda, yadda. RS should be the one model where Porsche doesn't try to cater to posers and bubble wrappers.

Maybe the limited edition RS "Cup" will deliver the goods.
Hopefully they will make one for you and one for me.
I just inspected the 991rs live in Shanghai. And it's very obvious that this car will be very street friendly and possibly a DD. No doubt it will be fast on track and for some people that would mean best out of two worlds.
But in my mind Porsche makes so many great sports car that you can track. So I feel the RS should be as extreme as you can possible make a street legal car. No compromise. I don't want it to be a good DD.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon70
My ideal RS would have AC with radio delete as long as there was an aux input. However, I don't think you can have an aux input without the radio.
1. Order car with radio
2. Delete head unit
3. Install factory lunchbox binnacle
4. Figure a way to aux in a smartphone to amp

Just ditched the head unit in a classic Porsche this way. Still have tunes/Pandora/podcasts to pass the time if needed, but no more radio to look at on the dash.

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
...I feel the RS should be as extreme as you can possible make a street legal car. No compromise. I don't want it to be a good DD.
Admire this ethic.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
1. Order car with radio
2. Delete head unit
3. Install factory lunchbox binnacle
4. Figure a way to aux in a smartphone to amp

Just ditched the head unit in a classic Porsche this way. Still have tunes/Pandora/podcasts to pass the time if needed, but no more radio to look at on the dash.
If it's looks that you care about, OK. But if it's weight, you don't gain much by deleting the radio. Most of the weight is in the speakers.

I've heard that the radio (which includes the PCM/Nav screen) only weighs 6 lbs. Have also heard that the Sound Plus package, which is required for the PCM/Nav option, includes 9 speakers, which brings the weight up to 20 lbs.

If anyone can confirm or correct these weight figures, that would be great.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
If it's looks that you care about, OK. But if it's weight, you don't gain much by deleting the radio. Most of the weight is in the speakers.

I've heard that the radio (which includes the PCM/Nav screen) only weighs 6 lbs. Have also heard that the Sound Plus package, which is required for the PCM/Nav option, includes 9 speakers, which brings the weight up to 20 lbs.

If anyone can confirm or correct these weight figures, that would be great.
Not sure how into looks I am, as I have loved some fugly—but delightful—cars in my time. Still do.

I'd love to know about the real weight of the various sound systems, too. I'll ask at the RS intro, and see what they say. But I view it this way: Tunes are good. Most head units are bad. Or, at least, largely useless to me. So...20 pounds with tunes piped from the phone that's already in your pocket may beat 26 pounds plus said phone if one is willing to give up some things. A cleaner dash/more focused aesthetic is merely a bonus.

But...I am not as extreme as some.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Getting older and softer I guess but it seems to hit the spot for me, Fiat baller style..

Having RSA and Humpty Dumpty helps for sure, see you at Monticello in a couple of weeks..
Must be something wrong with me. The older I get the more unforgiving I want my escape toys to be.

See you two weeks.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

That's that 14 CUP thingy for no?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Yup, but I can't take that out on the road for a quick blast whenever I need an attitude adjustment.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Sounds miserable. No doubt would be impossible to sell. I'll take it off your hands ONLY because I'm a nice guy.
Thanks Alan and Mooty ; the Clubsport was one of the few good investments I've made in my life . If it goes I have a friend with a standing offer that exceeds the new RS price by a fairly good margin . Not using it much or cutting it up as many were looks to have paid off in that sense . And don't get me wrong - when the weather is right and the humidity is low I love the old girl .
Old 04-24-2015, 02:18 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AciDShOrT
I made my decision before starting this thread, its all submitted. I was just seeing who else is doing it.
I am. No AC and no radio on one of my two GT3RS cars.

Almost went with no AC on one of my 918s but Germany insisted strongly I do it given proximity of engine and exhaust pipe to driver seat.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3rscr250m
Thanks Alan and Mooty ; the Clubsport was one of the few good investments I've made in my life . If it goes I have a friend with a standing offer that exceeds the new RS price by a fairly good margin . Not using it much or cutting it up as many were looks to have paid off in that sense . And don't get me wrong - when the weather is right and the humidity is low I love the old girl .
drive in good health
a very rare and pure machine. I only hope my 4.0 and 991 rs will be similarly special. not so much in $ appreciation but I'm the pleasure of driving it.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

5 am
dark
garage door opens
vroom. fired up. irritating my wife and neighbors who sleep too much in my opinion.....
take shower, make coffee.
get in car, off I go. no destination ( even if I did, I will not get there bc I will get lost )
not really fast, but just drive
no traffic
no ppl
no nothing...
just dawn air, dense.... nippy...
a rare time that I'm not on the phone or texting....
I think I rather just drive... radio and PCM.... only distract me.

that's just me

I don't think a special rs will lose money for not having ac or radio
if it does, it's prolly wasn't that special anyways. they might as well just dump it like an odyssey.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Yup, but I can't take that out on the road for a quick blast whenever I need an attitude adjustment.
Just put the RS plate on, cops cant tell difference.

Originally Posted by mooty
5 am
dark
garage door opens
vroom. fired up. irritating my wife and neighbors who sleep too much in my opinion.....
get in car, off I go. no destination ( even if I did, I will not get there bc I will get lost )
no traffic
no ppl
no nothing...

that's just me

if it does, it's prolly wasn't that special anyways. they might as well just dump it like an odyssey.
That's a reason to move west for sure, no such joy here...
Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
5 am
dark
garage door opens
no traffic
no ppl
no nothing...

that's just me

EXACTLY!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Just put the RS plate on, cops cant tell difference....
Would be cool to get some of that gear whine on street...
Old 04-24-2015, 11:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 720 Posts

In retrospect; since this will be a very limited run you will not lose money deleting radio ND A/C- you just have to decide really what you gain Tom that decision

Quick Reply: RS AC and Radio delete