Sponsored by:

RS AC and Radio delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Don't worry Barney comes with nav radio AC and everything else that's free plus color plus full leather. Rolling like a Fiat.
Just don't forget the Nav and steel brakes. Then call/email 12-24 months after you bought the car with wiring instructions.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AciDShOrT
Hey guys, I'm doing it on my RS. Anyone else? Thanks. -A
If you plan to keep it for 50 years, then it will be worth it due to uniqueness... Otherwise, I wouldn't suggest it. (I seriously contemplated it but decided against for the reasons others have posted)
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3rscr250m
I have a '88 911 Clubsport that I bought new which has neither a radio or A/C and as a result I've driven it less than 15K since... Would think it would be very difficult to sell...
Sounds miserable. No doubt would be impossible to sell. I'll take it off your hands ONLY because I'm a nice guy.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Just don't forget the Nav and steel brakes. Then call/email 12-24 months after you bought the car with wiring instructions.
I sent you the built sheet. Let me know if I missed something....
Old 04-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I will not buy your car if you get no AC...
...but I would!

To the OP...go for it!
Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I sent you the built sheet. Let me know if I missed something....
The built sheet is usctrojanGT3 approved! Proceed.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:35 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 214 Posts

I would not order it without A/C.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:16 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The only mistake I made 22 years (and 180K miles) ago when ordering my first RS was to specify AC delete to save weight. A black 911 with a black interior (and no sunroof) is just like a wood stove in the summer. It would be so much more enjoyable to drive with AC and I probably would have twice the mileage on it. I realize its too late for you now but if there is any humidity whatsoever where you are located, really think twice about this.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:03 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three cheers for AciDShOrT - go for it! If I had an RS allocation, I would also do the Radio and AC delete. It's all about weight and purity of purpose of the car for my use - track use. Note that I trailer my cars to the track and that it's usually not killer hot in the Northeast in the summer.

Actually I would do what ScottKelly911 suggested in post #17 of this thread - order the car with Radio and AC (no cost options) and then have the dealer remove them. Then they can be reinstalled if circumstances or owners change.

Along this line, since I don't yet have an RS allocation, I decided to have my dealer remove the AC in my 2014 GT3. The car just went to the dealer yesterday to have this done. I'll report back here when the work is done with the results - total weight savings, total labor hours, and any problems encountered.

As an aside, I also just installed an aftermarket lightweight battery (Braille) in my GT3. Weight savings was 36 lbs. Cost was $1,650.

Last edited by IvanBurns; 04-22-2015 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added cost of lightweight battery.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:18 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If living in northern Canada or in Sweden/Norway where A/C is generally not an expense residents have to incur would consider A/C delete in the RS ...
Better to order WITH A/C, remove/store any easily removable components away and then re-install or have available should you change your mind, move to warmer climes, or have customer who wants A/C ... hey, it might be an enhancement to the car having a new A/C system at 18,000miles on car!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

RS stands for Rennsport not Reichtumsport. Interior is already stuffed with too much froufrou as it is.

A proper RS would bin the Panapoopoo console, include perlon seats, have simple cf switch panel dash, no carpet, cf door cards, yadda, yadda, yadda. RS should be the one model where Porsche doesn't try to cater to posers and bubble wrappers.

Maybe the limited edition RS "Cup" will deliver the goods.

Last edited by Nizer; 04-23-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:14 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
RS stands for Rennsport not Reichtumsport. Interior is already stuffed with too much froufrou as it is.

A proper RS would bin the Panapoopoo console, have simple cf switch panel dash, no carpet, cf door cards, yadda, yadda, yadda. RS should be the one model where Porsche doesn't try to cater to posers and bubble wrappers.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The only mistake I made 22 years (and 180K miles) ago when ordering my first RS was to specify AC delete to save weight. A black 911 with a black interior (and no sunroof) is just like a wood stove in the summer. It would be so much more enjoyable to drive with AC and I probably would have twice the mileage on it. I realize its too late for you now but if there is any humidity whatsoever where you are located, really think twice about this.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

A proper RS would bin the Panapoopoo console, include perlon seats, have simple cf switch panel dash, no carpet, cf door cards, yadda, yadda, yadda. RS should be the one model where Porsche doesn't try to cater to posers and bubble wrappers.

I'd get the ventilated massage seats if there would be no weight penalty.
I'm on a diet to offset the PDK box.. I like my track cars to be streetable.
Just added AC back into the RSA, added rain tires and will drive it to Sebring tomorrow. It will still pass PCA race tech.

Drove full cage Mustang for years, daily drove all RS.. Getting older and softer I guess but it seems to hit the spot for me, Fiat baller style..
We'll see what this 4.0 will do on track with the extra weight VS comfort driving to the track and back. Maybe I can leave the trailer parked with these CUP2's.....

Having RSA and Humpty Dumpty helps for sure, see you at Monticello in a couple of weeks..
Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AciDShOrT
Eh. I don't plan on using it as a DD. All I know is that when I track my cars, AC goes off and Radio goes off. Seems silly to have it on the car, if the only reason is resale. But maybe Im thinking of it the "wrong" way.
Thought of this for my last car, Gen 2 RS. Decided to keep the Radio and Aircon as I would make a few good dollars selling them if I was that way inclined. Why delete something that you can sell at a profit if you don't want it.

Quick Reply: RS AC and Radio delete