Ventilation/Fan/AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:07 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ventilation/Fan/AC not working

Hey guys,

Just received my MY15 GT3 after clear bra install. Has anyone ever had their ventilation/fan not work? Is it usually something stupid simple?

Symptoms:
- Manually turn up fan or AC
- Note that the system indicators say it's on but nothing coming out of vents.

Before I go to the dealer with my brand spanking new car, any tips on things to check?

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:50 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note the AC Button is ON vs OFF with light...know it sounds stupid, but your system may be off when you think it's on.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Happened to me and a few weeks later it started working again. No idea why.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Note the AC Button is ON vs OFF with light...know it sounds stupid, but your system may be off when you think it's on.
Yes even with the AC off, the fan indicates it's at max 'lines' (if you know what I mean) but there is no airflow from the vents. I have even set system to blow out the vents facing me.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Happened to me and a few weeks later it started working again. No idea why.
I am guessing you didn't take it in for service.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET M

I am guessing you didn't take it in for service.
Correct
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SECRET M
Yes even with the AC off, the fan indicates it's at max 'lines' (if you know what I mean) but there is no airflow from the vents. I have even set system to blow out the vents facing me.
Ok if AC is on and fan 'markers' are all the way to the top, then yes, it sounds like a dealer run would be in order. Should be something simple...
Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the fuse
Old 03-26-2015, 11:17 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is a reach but vents are open in open position not closed with manual slide wheels correct?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:08 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry to hear that Rich. Can it be a blown fuse?
Old 03-27-2015, 03:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I know this is a reach but vents are open in open position not closed with manual slide wheels correct?
Good point.....

OP, with the engine off but ignition on, can you hear noise from behind the dash but no air is coming out? Check the thumb wheel on each vent to make sure that the indicator mark is opposite the "O" not the filled dot.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:31 AM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Good point..... OP, with the engine off but ignition on, can you hear noise from behind the dash but no air is coming out? Check the thumb wheel on each vent to make sure that the indicator mark is opposite the "O" not the filled dot.
Thanks for all the tips guys. It's definitely something strange. The fan now turns on but blows at speeds that do not match the indicator. Even when I turn it off, the fan sometimes turns on by itself!!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:02 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

FYI, I think I may have figured it out. I still made an appointment just in case.

Here's the scoop! [Story-telling mode *ON*.. if you're looking for the reader's digest, skip to CONCLUSION]

Feb. 28
12:00PM: When I picked up the car from the dealer (Pacific Porsche) a while ago, no issues noted regarding A/C or ventilation. I remember messing with it quite a bit because it was very hot the day I picked it up.

1:00PM: Drove the car straight to Moe at GP to drop it off to get the clear bra + tint work done. GP was packed and behind schedule, so it would be likely several weeks before the car could be completed.

Mar. 26
12:15PM: Car arrives in NorCal via transport. Start the car a notice immediately that the fan is not blowing (issue noted in original post). I drive it around a bit because it's just too cool not to, then park it at work and continue my day.

3:07PM: Ventilation/Fan issue starts to weigh on my mind, so I posted it up on RL.

8:00PM: Head out from work and notice that the fan is still doing the same thing, but this time, the fan starts turning on and off by itself even when the system is set to 'Off.'

8:30PM: Get home, drool over car. Start it back up and drive around again.

9:30PM: Get home. Bust out the brand new CTEK that arrived from Amazon, and plugged it in [not because there was anything wrong, but because I wanted to do something with the car after getting home!]

Mar 27:
8:00AM: Start her up and drive to work. Today the fan doesn't blow when it's set to Off, but it is still blowing at maximum speed despite being set to minimum level.

9:00PM: Arrive home after taking the long route home. Plugged in the CTEK again.

Mar. 28:
8:45AM: Start her up again to go get a haircut. This time, I notice the system is working normally! Since there are more cars on the road, and it is louder during the day, I could not tell for sure if the fan was behaving as it should. I park her at the salon and get my haircut and some brunch with my wife.

12:00PM: Go on a 30 minute drive to another town and asked my wife to try to change some of the settings on the fan to see if it did what she wanted it to. It did. No more strange behavior.

CONCLUSION?
Might be too early to draw this conclusion, but is there a possibility that fan or fan subsystem is not designed to handle operation at lower voltages and is browning out? Maybe there are some EEs on this forum that could comment.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

You don't mention whether you are using the Auto setting or not. You probably know this, but regardless of the fan setting, if you press the Auto button the system MAY increase the fan to maximum to bring the interior to whatever temperature is set.

I know that doesn't explain some of the issues you're having but thought I'd throw it out there as another variable.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You don't mention whether you are using the Auto setting or not. You probably know this, but regardless of the fan setting, if you press the Auto button the system MAY increase the fan to maximum to bring the interior to whatever temperature is set.

I know that doesn't explain some of the issues you're having but thought I'd throw it out there as another variable.
Exactly...auto means the car is in control...auto off...you are in control. In auto, it will blow at max after warm up until the set temp is hit, then it will back down...works that way in my cayenne anyway...still a fees days before I get to try my car out...

Quick Reply: Ventilation/Fan/AC not working