Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust / bypass - which one to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:43 AM
996C2Cabriolet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KA Motorsport has a side muffler delete pipe that looks like BBI design. Not affiliated with them, but the price looks appealing if It can replicate the sound of the BBI.
Will ask them for a sound or video clip if they have one available.

http://www.kamotorsport.net/product/side-muffler-delete-kit-eliminates-the-side-muffler-997-gt3/
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 996C2Cabriolet
KA Motorsport has a side muffler delete pipe that looks like BBI design. Not affiliated with them, but the price looks appealing if It can replicate the sound of the BBI.
Will ask them for a sound or video clip if they have one available.
http://www.kamotorsport.net/product/...ffler-997-gt3/
FVD (m&m exhaust) bypass
Old 04-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
TPC,

1. Are the valves same size as stock?

2. Can you disconnect the valves and leave them open for more sound?

3. Do you have any dyno results from pre/post?

4. What's the production/shipping timeline like?
1. We measured the stock at 60mm. Ours is 61.5mm, close enough to call even.

2. Yes, of course. Just disconnect the hoses and plug them to prevent long periods of vacuum leak in the electric vacuum pump circuit. This would essentially disable the upper(smaller diameter) pipes into the upper camber of the OEM center muffler. The beautiful function of the upper pipes/upper chamber is the result of the smaller diameter, and increased travel path length of ~70cm(~27 inches) which prevents cabin drone and optimizes exhaust gas velocity for torque and throttle response at lower rpm range. We feel this is an important feature for a high performance road car to retain refinement.

3. When we dyno the latest PDK equipped cars the transmission goes to limp mode. We prefer not to continue to run these cars in limp mode until we dig up and reconfigure our in-ground dyno. For now, we've actually been using the factory equipped power calculation display on the instrument cluster which is based on the car's sensors. We feel that if the sensor data is good enough for OEM fueling/ignition calibration then its just as good for calculating engine output. We encourage 991 GT3 owners to play with this function. Anyway, the display consistently show a very slight improvement over stock, and more importantly no loss of mph at reference points on race track which IS real world results.

4. We hand make one at a time in-house. The build time is one and a half week with current work load. We ship FedEx worldwide. Usually we box the pipes while they're still hot off the welder!

Lastly, I would like to add that while our side muffler bypass pipes are intended for use with OEM center muffler for what we feel as road car refinement, they should fit other brand of center muffler bypass being that these parts are modular with the same connecting point if one desires GT3R/RSR type sound.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Lastly, I would like to add that while our side muffler bypass pipes are intended for use with OEM center muffler for what we feel as road car refinement, they should fit other brand of center muffler bypass being that these parts are modular with the same connecting point if one desires GT3R/RSR type sound.
Same applies to headers with OEM size/location connecting points.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:28 PM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please keep us posted with the cargraphic side muffler bypass.

great thread
Old 04-21-2015, 04:02 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gotboost?
RSS X pipes being installed tomorrow. Will report back with impressions and hopefully a sound clip.
I'm jealous! I'm on the list for the RSS pipe but getting impatient....
Old 04-21-2015, 05:08 PM
pelo911
Racer

Originally Posted by UAEGT3
Please keep us posted with the cargraphic side muffler bypass.

great thread
my car now at the Porsche dealership
they installing the Cargraphic

will update soon
Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by pelo911
my car now at the Porsche dealership
they installing the Cargraphic

will update soon
I can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TPC Racing
Looks as though we’re a little late to the party – we are racing engineers first; marketers second here at TPC Racing.

A lot of you have had some great questions on this thread about what’s available for the 991 GT3 exhaust. To address just a few of those questions:

We really believe that Porsche designed a great stock exhaust system, with regards to engine performance and build quality, while meeting worldwide OEM requirements for sound control. Because of this, we chose a minimalist approach and retained as much of the factory engineering as possible in our own design, including features like Valvetronic compatibility and the metal flex joint.

Maintaining the factory valve control strategy eliminates unwanted cabin drone, excessive noise, and torque loss in lower rpm ranges. For those of you concerned with aggravating your neighbors early in the morning, this feature is for you! When the valves open, the TPC Racing Active Side Muffler Bypass Pipes are singing at full song to provide powerful cup-car-like sound and performance.

The metal flex joint, another factory design, allows for easy installation and proper alignment with the center muffler. Not only does this reduce the risk of mistreatment during the installation, it also reduces the risk of muffler fatigue and eventual cracking of the pipes over time.

While the sound gains are certainly noticeable, our bypass system was designed with a more conservative sound gain in mind, and we focused more on performance gains, saving weight, and drone reduction.

Research and Development was done on our own TPC Racing development cars, and we have put a lot of miles on these bypass pipes before releasing them for public sale.

There are a number of exhaust options offered by a number of reputable companies. The best option for you depends on the qualities you are looking for in your exhaust system. If you feel that your goals are aligned with ours then we have a product designed just for you!

Features
• 40 lb. Weight Reduction from OEM
• Valvetronic compatible
• Metal Flex Joint for Easy Installation/Proper Fitment
• Metal Flex Joint Reduces Chance of Center Muffler Fatigue
• Machined/Fabricated In-House
• Each Unit is Handmade in the USA
• Stainless Steel Construction with Satin Brushed Finish

Now THIS is a very interesting product.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:15 PM
pelo911
Racer

i'm super happy !
the car sound more aggressive and exotic
feel like there is more power on low RPM

recommend Cargraphic
TPC look also great , same idea .
Old 04-24-2015, 04:27 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Now THIS is a very interesting product.
That is the way I am going to go with my RS and maintain the aero diffuser center muff...

Old 04-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Would the sound with your side muffler bypass plus a center muffler bypass (like a SW or GMG) be too loud for the street? I know it's subjective but there's loud and sounding good and then there's being raw race system, make your ears bleed loud?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:59 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Changing the center section with TPC would delete the advantages of their sysem.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:01 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interested in the TPC system. The valves are critical for retaining mid range torque. Others may disagree. For street use I believe the added torque meaningful.

Only negative I have heard about Cargraphic is the valves assemblies are known to fail. Not sure if that is fact or fiction.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Originally Posted by 911dev
Very interested in the TPC system. The valves are critical for retaining mid range torque. Others may disagree. For street use I believe the added torque meaningful.

Only negative I have heard about Cargraphic is the valves assemblies are known to fail. Not sure if that is fact or fiction.
+1

Quick Reply: exhaust / bypass - which one to choose?