Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of a new GT3

Old 03-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Did you sit in the LWB's before you made your decision ? I find them quite comfortable in the stock config...
No unfortunately I wasn't able to. Made the decision to get Sports Seats Plus because the car is for long road trips not track so I wanted the ability to recline to catch 40 winks.

Have now say in LWBs in GT4 and RS in Geneva and they're way more upright than my regular position.

I may try them in a future car because it might be better to force myself to sit further forward.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Agree with your assessments almost fully, my only difference is that I must press the accelerator a bit more than lightly to keep gearchanges in auto smooth. I find that a really light press will make the transmission quite jerky. Maybe u and I are on the same page and it is just my interpretation of "light."

Enjoy your car!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:47 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Agree with your assessments almost fully, my only difference is that I must press the accelerator a bit more than lightly to keep gearchanges in auto smooth. I find that a really light press will make the transmission quite jerky. Maybe u and I are on the same page and it is just my interpretation of "light."

Enjoy your car!
True, "lightly" is a very subjective term. Perhaps lightly and "diligently progressively" is a better way of putting it.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time

Enjoy your car!
I get all kinds of mechanical gear-lash-sounding clunky noises from the back of the car during the 1-2 and 2-3 gear shifts in auto mode around town. You guys aren't getting this??
Old 03-25-2015, 09:20 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I get all kinds of mechanical gear-lash-sounding clunky noises from the back of the car during the 1-2 and 2-3 gear shifts in auto mode around town. You guys aren't getting this??
I do hear them.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear and feel them, but it's pretty minimal to me by sports car standards.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:23 PM
drewbam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I feel the roof "wart" is worth it for Sirius XM on long drives in WA State. There are plenty of places in WA where cell coverage is not sufficient for reliable streaming, and many of those places contain the best driving roads.

d|b
Old 03-25-2015, 10:37 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drewbam
FWIW, I feel the roof "wart" is worth it for Sirius XM on long drives in WA State. There are plenty of places in WA where cell coverage is not sufficient for reliable streaming, and many of those places contain the best driving roads. d|b
That's why I like Rhapsody. It lets you download songs, so you can play without cell or internet connection.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

Greg, thanks for posting.
That's exactly how I get in and out of the car.
I never tried voice control, I think my CL550 has it, maybe I should try it sometime.
Sat in LWB seats today, the 991 seats and legroom are both bigger than 997, perfect for me now in fact. After sitting in one and hearing it with a Sharkwerks I'm more excited about it.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoyed your write up. Great to hear all the opinions.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:38 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by Mech33
Not at all.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Not at all.
I haven't picked up mine yet to see what noises there are when accelerating from a stop, but it seems most on here experience some in PDK auto. Since you don't really hear any, do you contribute this to you using very light feathering throttle. If that's the case I guess everyone really needs to practice it this way.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:08 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I haven't picked up mine yet to see what noises there are when accelerating from a stop, but it seems most on here experience some in PDK auto. Since you don't really hear any, do you contribute this to you using very light feathering throttle. If that's the case I guess everyone really needs to practice it this way.
Why practice not having noises - for me the noise is one of the best parts of the experience of driving the car.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 982 Likes on 509 Posts

I noticed the noise during the first mile I put on the car which was in auto mode. That was the only time I drove the car in auto. Currently at 2100 miles.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:05 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by bronson7
I really don't know how to expalin why I am not hearing the "grating" noises some are complaining about with the auto mode PDK-S. I am driving the car like I dirve any other auto transmission car. The only thing I can surmise is that I use a fairly light and progressive pressure on the throttle. Here is a video I took this morning driving the car in PDK-S auto mode with the car shifting from 7th down to 1st and then back up from standstill 1st to 7th gear. I hope the sound can come through OK as the transmission and engine are fairly quite relative to the ambient noise road/tire noise:

Hopefully this works OK for everyone to view. I really have no noise issues or jerky motions with auto mode PDK-S

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impressions of a new GT3