Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:25 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is such an awesome view!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:17 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I have a photo (and not a good one) from the parking lot. I thought there was a pacing photo on Facebook but couldn't find it. I'm sure it's recorded on the DVR as I recorded the race but won't get a good pic of that.

The one thing I can say is that they didn't drive it the way they should have. It was way to quiet during the hot laps they used it for. I was much louder during the parade laps then they were during the hot laps...
Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re: 'Arena Red Metallic' at Porsche of North Scottsdale

For Your Information. A thread has been started about the 'Arena Red Metallic' gt3 at Porsche of North Scottsdale:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...cottsdale.html

Originally Posted by cphelps
Arena Red for Sale in Scottsdale

Not mine, no affiliation. They have it listed at $179,900, MSRP was $154k, options below.

http://www.porschescottsdale.com/det...-13965234.html
This is one of the late '15 PTS gt3 allocations that came in three colors - 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' and 'Fashion Grey'.
Each color was specced with particular options and couldn't be modified (in most cases) by even the lucky dealers that received
these 'surprise' PTS gt3 late '15 allocations. In fact, we have not yet found out who exactly specced these cars, so we can't pass
along the 'complaints' about incompatibility of the deviating stitching color. Neither 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany or Atlanta were
apparently consulted.

So our search for the complete story on these 30 PTS continues...

However, we have known about for a long while that this Penske dealership in Arizona was allocated one of the 'Arena Red Metallic'
gt3s. We are keeping track of all of these cars at the thread linked below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...grey-gt3s.html

I think the last time where this particular allocation to Scottsdale was mentioned on our ongoing thread was in June in this post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12390783

Saludos,
Eduardo
Arcipelago di La Maddalena, Sardinia

Last edited by Z356; 08-20-2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Better formatting. No change of text.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:20 AM
sgnl05
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
There were reports on this thread earlier, at the Imsa/Tudor Watkins Glen race, that one of 'our' PTS gt3s in 'Signal Green' served as a pace car...and we have a photo of it on the parking lot.

But does anyone have more information on this car, what dealer it was sold by, its original owner or a photo of it on the track being used as a 'pace car'?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Castelsardo, Sardinia
I spoke with the driver and a few other members of the IMSA staff at the Tudor event at Lime Rock and they said the car was Viper green and not Signal. But all I have to go with is their word. Given the continuing confusion on PTS colors and the time frame coinciding with the 30 PTS cars, I'm not entirely sure this car is Viper and not Signal.

Lime Rock Park<br/>07.25.15<br/>Tudor Series: Northeast Grand Prix

Lime Rock Park<br/>07.25.15<br/>Tudor Series: Northeast Grand Prix
Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Viper' or 'Signal Green'?

Originally Posted by sgnl05
I spoke with the driver and a few other members of the IMSA staff at the Tudor event at Lime Rock and they said the car was Viper green and not Signal. But all I have to go with is their word. Given the continuing confusion on PTS colors and the time frame coinciding with the 30 PTS cars, I'm not entirely sure this car is Viper and not Signal.
Thanks sgnl05! I am with you in doubting the 'Viper Green' story. I believe this is one of our 10 'Signal Green' late allocation '15 gt3s. If anyone that knows the owner or drivers of this particular 'IMSA' pace car can please verify for us the color and specs, we would appreciate it!

The specs are important because we know how almost all of these 'Signal Green' gt3s were specced. And if this one is specced the same as the one I have inside my own garage, I think we know it's color too!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Off the coast of Sardinia
Old 08-09-2015, 01:39 AM
981GT4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of photos of what I think is the "Tacoma" Arena Red Metallic GT3 from a car show in Kamloops, British Columbia today. Sorry for the poor quality.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Since we are trying to track every one of the 30 late allocation '15 PTS gt3s on this thread, I wanted to post for the record
that Ivon has his 'Arena Red' gt3 for sale:

Originally Posted by Ma991
2015 PTS Arena Red Metallic GT3
Options:
4-way Sport Plus Seats,
Extended Range Fuel Tank (082)
Seat Heating (342)
Front Axle Lift (474)
Sound Package Plus (490)
LED Headlights (602 or XEY)
Sport Chrono (643)
Sirius/XM/HD Radio (690)
Floor Mats (810)
Auto Dimming Mirrors/Rain Sensor (P13)
PCM w. Navigation (P23)
Ornamental Porsche Crest (ZAB)
Black/Alcantara Leather Interior, Guards Red stitching (068)
Smoking Package (583)
Light Design Package (630)
Leather Interior Package with Decorative Red Stitching (749)

MSRP: $153,030.
Destination & guzzler tax 1,995.
Total $155,025
Market adjustment: $10,000
Total Paid: $165,025

Add-ons:
100% xpel wrap followed by ccquartz finest on body and opticoat on wheels.
Also 50% window tint, total: $8,000.00
Clear led markers: $110.00
Weather Tech Floor matts: $150.00
FVD side muffler bypass (oem side mufflers come with it): $550.00

Total invested: $173,835.00

Less than 800 miles. Car has never been tracked. It is perfect in every
way. No, I’m not getting an RS. I’m just looking to get back what I have
in the car. Don’t bother low balling me, it won’t work. I have the title
(no liens). I’m located in the central part of Massachusetts. PM me if
you'd like more info. Tons of pictures to come shortly.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-for-sale.html

We wish him GLWS.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Since we are trying to track every one of the 30 late allocation '15 PTS gt3s on this thread, I wanted to post for the record
that Ivon has his 'Arena Red' gt3 for sale:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-for-sale.html

We wish him GLWS.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:15 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I enjoyed watching this give "hot laps" at the Tudor race @ VIR yesterday:

Old 08-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I enjoyed watching this give "hot laps" at the Tudor race @ VIR yesterday:
I would like to ask our community a favor. This is for sure one of the 'Signal Green' gt3s that we have been tracking on this thread. If you see this 'Signal Green' gt3 at one of these Tudor/IMSA races, please contact owner and/or driver & get details of the owner, what dealer he purchased the car, etc. Or is this a 'Signal Green' gt3 that was kept by PCNA and loaned to Tudor/IMSA? That would account for being allowed to be used for these punishing 'hot laps'. I doubt a private owner would volunteer his car time & time again for this kind of rough duty. But you never know.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-24-2015, 04:40 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...If you see this 'Signal Green' gt3 at one of these Tudor/IMSA races, please contact owner and/or driver & get details of the owner, what dealer he purchased the car, etc.
Dang, I would have done that but I thought you guys already had that information.

Someone from Zone 2 (First Settlers Region) should be able to answer that question (http://pcazone2.homestead.com/#anchor_51)

Or is this a 'Signal Green' gt3 that was kept by PCNA and loaned to Tudor/IMSA? That would account for being allowed to be used for these punishing 'hot laps'. I doubt a private owner would volunteer his car time & time again for this kind of rough duty. But you never know...
Hot laps are child's play for this car, and even for my 25 yr/ld 911... Just sayin'
Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default The Good, the Bad & The Ugly...

Today I received a PM from a Rennlister that prefers to remain anonymous but that is the owner of one of our 'Arena Red Metallic' gt3s.
He negotiated the purchase of the one at Porsche of Beverly Hills, which is #5 on our list:

The interesting thing about this particular 'Arena Red Metallic' gt3 is that the someone at the dealership
was able to change at least three items on the 'standard' spec common to all other 'Arena Red' gt3s:

1) LWB sport bucket seats
2) PCCB
3) Customized illuminated sill that reads 'Kills bugs fast.'

LWB seats are quite a treat on this car. As most of you know, the original specs for all 30 PTS gt3s were the 4-way Sport
Seats Plus. To my knowledge, the only other of the 30 gt3s that was able to be fitted with LWB seats was the 'Fashion Grey'
gt3 that was ordered via the 918 VIP program by 'Anonymous918'.

The standard gt3 brakes were able to be changed to PCCB's in at least three other PTS cars. These were the only modifications
to the 'Signal Green' gt3s allocated to Stevinson in Colorado and McKenna in Norwalk, CA. I also believe that Anonymous918
'Fashion Grey' gt3 got PCCBs. But I know of no others that were so equipped.

And this gt3 in our group of 30, besides Anonymous, is the only other customized illuminated sill that I know of in the 30 cars!

The owner also wanted to thank me personally for posting the thread since this is how he found out that these PTS gt3s existed!
And as a result, he went out and bought one! And since March I have received many messages thanking me for my efforts to bring
this information to our forum and available to all - so you could pursue one of these cars if that appealed to you.

Yet I must tell you the release of this information was apparently not appreciated at some circles within PCNA. If you go back to
the start of this story on Post #1 you will recall that I learned about the existence of these PTS cars at the lobby of the LAX Hilton
from an East Coast Porsche restorer who himself had secure one of the 'Signal Green' gt3s. I ran into him again last week at the
Monterey Historics. And he told me that after the story broke right here (this thread) at Rennlist, he was contacted by PCNA,
and reprimanded for, essentially, the 'letting cat out of the bag'.

This 'reaction' by PCNA is a reminder to all of you that Porsche is marching to a different drummer. And they often prefer opaqueness
rather than transparency in the way they conduct business. We still don't know the full story behind the motivation to build these
30 PTS gt3s in the middle of an announced moratorium on PTS for the rest of all MY2015 991 production.
If PCNA got its way, these
colorful gt3s should have just quietly disappeared into the US dealer market without much 'ado' and selectively put into the hands
of the privileged few with VIP connections. That may have been the 'plan'...but it was not to be.

Instead, we 'let the cat out of the bag' & shone a big bright light on these 30 PTS gt3s right here on this forum! And this thread
definitely helped fellow Rennlisters (enthusiast like me but not necessarily elite VIPs) an opportunity to locate & purchase them!
And I am very happy that I played a part in all of that, even if it upset a few at PCNA!

I'll have more to say on the rather odd relationship I have with Porsche. Since 2012, I have helped create a buzz in the internet
about PTS & 'Porsche Exclusive' options with stimulating threads that have gathered the attention of our readership...and of PAG/
PCNA itself. Hence my very hospitable reception at Porsche in Germany. I am probably one of the most effective promoters of PTS
for Porsche in the web. Yet the executives at Porsche don't yet know if that is a 'good thing', even though they admit it's been very
effective. PTS demand is going through the roof. I will have more to say on this topic when I continue with reports of my visit to
Zuffenhausen & Leipzig this past July.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 08-26-2015, 02:03 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LWB seats are quite a treat on this car. As most of you know, the original specs for all 30 PTS gt3s were the 4-way Sport
Seats Plus. To my knowledge, the only other of the 30 gt3s that was able to be fitted with LWB seats was the 'Fashion Grey'
gt3 that was ordered via the 918 VIP program by 'Anonymous918'.
Eduardo - actually I didn't order LWB since I was planning to daily drive it. so the car doesn't have LWB (as the pictures I have posted previously also indicate)
Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 AM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
Eduardo - actually I didn't order LWB since I was planning to daily drive it. so the car doesn't have LWB (as the pictures I have posted previously also indicate)
Eduardo, the ARM car listed at Beverly Hills actually had the LWB & PCCB's on their build. I was offered this car multiple times before it arrived, but refused to pay the BH's $20k premium.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:13 AM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
Here is a pic of the build sheet they sent me:

Quick Reply: The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!