Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

At 1000 mi. the transmission in my '11' GTS developed a small leak. The service department ordered a new transmission and it came in two days later, my car was drivable. Installed on the 3rd day and I was on my way. Never an issue after that one.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:14 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
If this is truly a PDK failure, it's a plug and play part. Dealership will order a new one, and you'll soon be on your way. There have been a few of these early failures on the 991 Forum. Yes, the 991 GT3 PDK is different (hardware or software?????.... I don't know) but, stuff fails and breaks.
Anyone know if the replacement PDK is new, or a re-manufactured unit? I hope I never have to find out on my car, but curious.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:21 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Anyone know if the replacement PDK is new, or a re-manufactured unit? I hope I never have to find out on my car, but curious.
New with 2 year warranty on replacement (this is the US policy, standard PDK). Not sure how it wraps with new car warranty if there is more than 2 years remaining. Should check with the dealer/service manager, it could be a subtle point. My data point is with replacements near end of original warranty for standard PDK. PDK-S may be different since it is GT3 but most definitely it will be a new unit, no reman.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:47 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
New with 2 year warranty on replacement (this is the US policy, standard PDK). Not sure how it wraps with new car warranty if there is more than 2 years remaining. Should check with the dealer/service manager, it could be a subtle point. My data point is with replacements near end of original warranty for standard PDK. PDK-S may be different since it is GT3 but most definitely it will be a new unit, no reman.
i really don't think pcna or pag would leave a 991 gt3 customer hanging on warranty coverage so long as the issue is a legit warranty issue, which this one sound like it certainly is...
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Got a call.
Car will be ready next week.
Total transmission swap.
Lets hope all is well
Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by j09333
Got a call.
Car will be ready next week.
Total transmission swap.
Lets hope all is well
So your first post was on 3/21, and replacement will be finished next week, so about 5 weeks from fault to completion of repair?

TT
Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
2 year warranty is only for parts/labor replaced outside of warranty. If replaced under warranty, you receive the balance of the car's warranty on the new part. In other words, you're in your last month of the car warranty and the the sunroof on your Cayenne is replaced under the warranty, you have less than a month of warranty on the new sunroof.

Ask me how I know. 😉

All this to say, Porsche/dealer "good will" has some leeway.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

PDK-S assembly has proven up to this point not to be a quick replacment in terms of time car is down (currently tranny has a 3-4 week arrival to dealership but this will vary a lot going forward)....these are new units but in a couple years we will start to see reman'd units come into circulation.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:01 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Are the engine/tranny rebuildable once the warranty runs out ie not worth even trying to rebuild- just replace whole unit? Mike
Old 04-27-2015, 06:29 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Are the engine/tranny rebuildable once the warranty runs out ie not worth even trying to rebuild- just replace whole unit? Mike
Engine sure. It's a 9a1 I've seen turbo s iterations of this apart and getting upgraded.

Tranny not so sure.

Feels like a disposable appliance in that respect. But suspect give some time and people will start to work on them.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:52 AM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing I learned from this fix.
When doing alignment one should turn on the engine and keep it running to keep.the rear steering motor stayed in center. Otherwise you will end up with wrong setting
Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Yes and yes....but in future even for Indy shop it will still be much more cost effective to replace the entire assemblies just as it is for Porsche now. Companies besides Porsche will start offering both engine and PDK-S rebuilt units at some point in future most likely when these cars all are far outside factory warranty coverage so that they can make money doing so.

Last edited by sccchiii; 05-01-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Yes and yes....but in future even for Indy shop it will still be much more cost effective to replace the entire assemblies just as it is for Porsche now. Companies besides Porsche will start offering both engine and PDK-S rebuilt units at some point in future most likely when these cars all are far outside factory warranty coverage so that they can make money doing so.
FWIW, replacing and even upgrading clutch plates in some other dual-clutch transmissions turned out to be a rather trivial thing.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
FWIW, replacing and even upgrading clutch plates in some other dual-clutch transmissions turned out to be a rather trivial thing.
I haven't seen inside pdks, but inside a 997.2 turbo s pdk I have, and upgrading the clutch packs in that transmission was not a trivial job. I'm going off memory, but what I remember is there is a drum like thing at the front of the transmission that contains the clutches. It had to be cut open, and the inside looked sort of like a LSD setup. They upgraded the components, then welded it back shut to a very, very high runout tolerance. This turbo car is north of 1000 HP and needed upgrade.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:29 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I haven't seen inside pdks, but inside a 997.2 turbo s pdk I have, and upgrading the clutch packs in that transmission was not a trivial job. I'm going off memory, but what I remember is there is a drum like thing at the front of the transmission that contains the clutches. It had to be cut open, and the inside looked sort of like a LSD setup. They upgraded the components, then welded it back shut to a very, very high runout tolerance. This turbo car is north of 1000 HP and needed upgrade.
I see. That unfortunately sounds much more involved than, for example, M3 DCT. I'm afraid PDK-s will be similar to 997.2 Turbo in this respect.

Quick Reply: transmission failure