Sponsored by:

Your neighborhood.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
i live in a little beach neighborhood. not the fanciest one in socal and I like that. i'm not a fancy person but i like the beach weather. cool mix of old money, new money, rentals, students, etc. no hoa. no bull****. lots of really wealthy people that drive ****ty cars and walk around in shorts with their shirts off and flip flops. one guy walks around with a bird on his shoulder. he's probably richest guy in the area. and lots of younger people renting that like living by the beach and drinking beers in the front yards. i like to do that too. See no HOAs here.

My neighbors stop and chat about my cars. they think i'm a little crazy. Never once have they complained, said it's loud, called the cops, asked if I'm rich, asked stupid questions. They do like to ask about driving it on the track, how fast it can go, that kinda stuff. They just think it's kinda cool they walk by and its up on 4 jack stands, music blasting, beer on the floor, and I'm underneath it all dirty and greasy. Never asked what I do either. One guy does shake his head a bit (cool guy) when he sees a new car, which is often, but not as often as Mooty. He's insane.
This sounds great. Any cool pads for sale near the beach? Doesn't sound like Newport.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:12 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i live in a little beach neighborhood. not the fanciest one in socal and I like that. i'm not a fancy person but i like the beach weather. cool mix of old money, new money, rentals, students, etc. no hoa. no bull****. lots of really wealthy people that drive ****ty cars and walk around in shorts with their shirts off and flip flops. one guy walks around with a bird on his shoulder. he's probably richest guy in the area. and lots of younger people renting that like living by the beach and drinking beers in the front yards. i like to do that too. See no HOAs here.

My neighbors stop and chat about my cars. they think i'm a little crazy. Never once have they complained, said it's loud, called the cops, asked if I'm rich, asked stupid questions. They do like to ask about driving it on the track, how fast it can go, that kinda stuff. They just think it's kinda cool they walk by and its up on 4 jack stands, music blasting, beer on the floor, and I'm underneath it all dirty and greasy. Never asked what I do either. One guy does shake his head a bit (cool guy) when he sees a new car, which is often, but not as often as Mooty. He's insane.
Reminds me of my grandfather, who was a mechanic in San Francisco and Marin. He used to have a little fridge with Olympia beer in it in the shop and an Italian salame hanging out drying. Huey Lewis and the News were a garage band then and literally practiced in a garage nearby. My granddad made a mortar and used acetylene gas from his blow torch. He would crush up a beer can, fire this loud thing at them and yell that they were "too darn loud". He called them Huey, Dewy, and Louie. They'd come over and have a beer with him in the shop.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i live in a little beach neighborhood. not the fanciest one in socal and I like that. i'm not a fancy person but i like the beach weather. cool mix of old money, new money, rentals, students, etc. no hoa. no bull****. lots of really wealthy people that drive ****ty cars and walk around in shorts with their shirts off and flip flops. one guy walks around with a bird on his shoulder. he's probably richest guy in the area. and lots of younger people renting that like living by the beach and drinking beers in the front yards. i like to do that too. See no HOAs here. My neighbors stop and chat about my cars. they think i'm a little crazy. Never once have they complained, said it's loud, called the cops, asked if I'm rich, asked stupid questions. They do like to ask about driving it on the track, how fast it can go, that kinda stuff. They just think it's kinda cool they walk by and its up on 4 jack stands, music blasting, beer on the floor, and I'm underneath it all dirty and greasy. Never asked what I do either. One guy does shake his head a bit (cool guy) when he sees a new car, which is often, but not as often as Mooty. He's insane.
Sound perfect!

As for Mooty, must have been all those years as an Architect.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:30 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my lady neighbor asked me before, "what's with the sports cars,?" I said "those are my mistresses". A year later, she divorced her husband.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:53 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I've got the oldest car fleet in my neighborhood! A 993tt and the 6.3 track car! I always wash the 993tt in the garage and neighbors think I'm weird! Probably true!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:23 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some responses: (all Seinfeld references)

1- I own Van Delay industries
2- I'm an architect
3- I import and export
Old 03-22-2015, 03:04 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
This sounds great. Any cool pads for sale near the beach? Doesn't sound like Newport.
Newport used to be like this, and not that long ago. Now it's just too oc for me. Sure there are places for sale where I live. Not fancy area but not cheap. Nothing by water here is....that guy up above in ny, my house is probably smaller and probably same $/ sq foot. But I don't have a 2500/mo association dues and a ****ty entitled door man that expects a tip at Christmas. My parking spot costs less for sure!

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Reminds me of my grandfather, who was a mechanic in San Francisco and Marin. He used to have a little fridge with Olympia beer in it in the shop and an Italian salame hanging out drying. Huey Lewis and the News were a garage band then and literally practiced in a garage nearby. My granddad made a mortar and used acetylene gas from his blow torch. He would crush up a beer can, fire this loud thing at them and yell that they were "too darn loud". He called them Huey, Dewy, and Louie. They'd come over and have a beer with him in the shop.
Awesome. Cured meat, beers, cars. What's not to love? Awesome. Marin before the yupps took it over. My moms family is from Marin.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ pls remember to bring cured meat and good cheese to 3/26....
wife makes me eat stuff that are leafy and green. says they are good. pfff...
bring meat and cheese dont forget.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:27 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ pls remember to bring cured meat and good cheese to 3/26....
wife makes me eat stuff that are leafy and green. says they are good. pfff...
bring meat and cheese dont forget.
Cmon kale is good (for you).

Take it Oscar Meyer Bologna and a block of gov't cheese from the willows walmart doesn't count as "cured meat and cheese"?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Cmon kale is good (for you).
when made in to chips or blended with apple is tolerable

Take it Oscar Meyer Bologna and a block of gov't cheese from the willows walmart doesn't count as "cured meat and cheese"?
u will be put into my list of BAD ppl
Old 03-22-2015, 04:24 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

My neighborhood is just a complete mismatch for me. It's 2/3 older people who bought their houses decades ago for nothing and now contribute nothing in property taxes to schools or anything else in the area. Their cars are parked when l leave for work and parked when I come back even when I work half a day - they do not work. They drive 15 mph and straddle the median in blind turns. I trained some to pull over and let me pass when i'm behind them, but those are few. It's not their fault that the main local road was poorly designed and has no places to pass for miles or that local property tax laws make no sense, so I just take a deep breath when our paths cross.

The other part is mostly high income professionals, but for some reason most are not of the type I can connect with. I just do not get people who walk their man-purse size dogs in the middle of the only road leading to the neighbourhood and make everyone endanger themselves driving around them (it's a hilly area with narrow twisty roads). One called me an ******* out of the blue for washing my car in a drought (it was almost a year ago, before the drought was so bad). Of course I told him that I use only 2 buckets of water total for no-rinse wash and he would use 4 times as much for his shower after riding his bike, but he chose to reject the information (his big lawn is watered several times a day on timer). Another waved me to slow down when I was going 25 mph uphill only to pass me on his bike going much faster downhill. In general, most of the younger crowd here are so self-entitled and obnoxious that I much prefer older people, even though they sometimes triple my commute time by driving 10-15 mph.

The younger group's kids, usually mid to older teens, are fascinated with my cars and often ask me to wash them for free or help me change wheels or just watch when I do some car work, but I never agree to anything more than them watching from across the road because I'm concerned their obnoxious parents are going to sue me or something.

There are few guys with nice cars, but I cannot track them down. One drives a nice speciale, and once he gave me thumbs up when I was driving by. I reciprocated but forgot my window was up, so I ended up inadvertently punching the window and making a scary face because I was in pain. I guess he misinterpreted that because now he avoids eye contact. True story

All this is weird to me, because back in Canada I got used to neighbours shoveling each other's driveways and taking trash bins out for no reason other than having time to do it and being genuine and nice in general. I'm thinking about moving to Marin (or to Vancouver, job permitting).
Old 03-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
My neighborhood is just a complete mismatch for me....
You have just described the exact reason I fing hate San Francisco. I actually love the city, architecture, the history, the restaurants, etc. But I hate the self entitled *** holes who live there. It's sad, my family is all from sf and Marin. My mom grew up in the city and misses it. Even she won't move back now.

There really is nothing worse than self entitled passive agressive a holes with money. Sf is full of them. Blame tech or whatever. It just sucks.

That's why I like my chill little non judging beach neighborhood. No attitudes.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Backroads
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8
I have some responses: (all Seinfeld references) 1- I own Van Delay industries 2- I'm an architect 3- I import and export

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
My neighborhood is just a complete mismatch for me. It's 2/3 older people who bought their houses decades ago for nothing and now contribute nothing in property taxes to schools or anything else in the area. Their cars are parked when l leave for work and parked when I come back even when I work half a day - they do not work. They drive 15 mph and straddle the median in blind turns. I trained some to pull over and let me pass when i'm behind them, but those are few. It's not their fault that the main local road was poorly designed and has no places to pass for miles or that local property tax laws make no sense, so I just take a deep breath when our paths cross.

The other part is mostly high income professionals, but for some reason most are not of the type I can connect with. I just do not get people who walk their man-purse size dogs in the middle of the only road leading to the neighbourhood and make everyone endanger themselves driving around them (it's a hilly area with narrow twisty roads). One called me an ******* out of the blue for washing my car in a drought (it was almost a year ago, before the drought was so bad). Of course I told him that I use only 2 buckets of water total for no-rinse wash and he would use 4 times as much for his shower after riding his bike, but he chose to reject the information (his big lawn is watered several times a day on timer). Another waved me to slow down when I was going 25 mph uphill only to pass me on his bike going much faster downhill. In general, most of the younger crowd here are so self-entitled and obnoxious that I much prefer older people, even though they sometimes triple my commute time by driving 10-15 mph.

The younger group's kids, usually mid to older teens, are fascinated with my cars and often ask me to wash them for free or help me change wheels or just watch when I do some car work, but I never agree to anything more than them watching from across the road because I'm concerned their obnoxious parents are going to sue me or something.

There are few guys with nice cars, but I cannot track them down. One drives a nice speciale, and once he gave me thumbs up when I was driving by. I reciprocated but forgot my window was up, so I ended up inadvertently punching the window and making a scary face because I was in pain. I guess he misinterpreted that because now he avoids eye contact. True story

All this is weird to me, because back in Canada I got used to neighbours shoveling each other's driveways and taking trash bins out for no reason other than having time to do it and being genuine and nice in general. I'm thinking about moving to Marin (or to Vancouver, job permitting).
Must live in the Bay.. Nice place if it wasn't for all the fing people...

I live in a nice neighborhood on 10 acres. Many different income levels with some retired and some not. No one pays much attention to my cars though the next door neighbor once said he has trouble keeping track. I have gone though about every 2 to 3 years with Wife's car going every 10 and my daily driver is now an 07. Just so happens that I now have to 15s the GT3 (in red) and a new Range Rover. Wife lovers her car and tolerates mine. About 100 miles east of the Bay area. Most people are considerate with a few road hogs to deal with.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:13 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought four high end cars in the last two years. For first two, I told everyone that I had a mid-life crisis, and that I found a good solution for that problem. For the latter two, I tell them that I need to check into a rehabilitation clinic....

Quick Reply: Your neighborhood.....