Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i do that too. it's kind of fun.

NYC, tokyo, taipei and SF terrible RE prices
here is worse. i have friend living in sf, is scared to move back because of sydney prices.
another in japan, is also unable to move back yet.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

There are alot of us with similar obsession. I once told my friend I have a car addiction. It started with my first M5, then it was history.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My neighbors don't ask or comment any more. I always wondered what they were thinking but reading this thread make me know what they're thinking. Ah well...
Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in a cul-de-sac and am considered the pied piper. The cars are like magnets that hypnotically draws the husbands and kids when the garage door opens....

I don't mind as sharing them is part of my enjoyment and would take the guys for rides when I get a different car and let the kids play in the race car....I've had 4 different Porsches in the 7 years we've lived here...I know, I'm behind the curve compared to some of the other nuts here

Last edited by Conekilr; 03-21-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 PM
SHAG
Racer

This is a funny thread. I have a guy who washes my cars for me about once a week. People ask him what I do and he doesn't know or even ask. Ideally my next house will be surrounded by trees and not other houses. I am a bit surprised so many of you are suspected drug dealers or get asked financial questions by neighbors. I'm 31 and am lucky live in a country that rewards those who work hard.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When asked, I say nothing. They quickly change the subject.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
When asked, I say nothing. They quickly change the subject.
When I am asked what I do by nosy people, I always reply that I work at the airport. Crickets after that. Makes no sense but I guess they try to think about it?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:51 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

So I'm at dinner with my wife. She brings up that my neighbor wants their garage to look like mine. The neighbor asked her, "Ballpark, what would something like that cost?" Luckily my wife didn't know. She asked me for a "ballpark," I just shook my head, "No."
Old 03-21-2015, 01:11 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

"ANOTHER new car?!?". Yeah, i've heard that.

"You must be loaded; what does that one cost??" I don't answer.

My favorite car/finance related response usually is: "Think about your life and take away the kids and all their expenses; what would your life be like? Well, that's us".

Anyone that drops those in passing, I ignore. Anyone that gets to know me understands. I drive; I track; I detail; I love them. I've been with the same woman for 20 years. I am promiscuous instead with cars. It's much cheaper
Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

I picked up my 993 from some lengthy repairs today, and drove it to my building and parked it in my one reserved spot (left the GT3 at work).

In the elevator with my neighbor tonight: "I thought you sold that old car... it's too loud!"

It is MUCH louder than my GT3 with sharkwerks bypass. The only logical response will be SW track exhaust to restore order in the world, so that I can crank the car and set off the alarm of every vehicle within the vicinity.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:11 AM
C63toGT3 Guy
Rennlist Member

Jeez. Some nice sounding setups here.

I live in an 820sqft condo in a 140 unit building. Pretty anonymous, except it's definitely the nicest car in the garage. Not to mention the loudest... Firing up the car sets off the alarms on an X5, a Smart, and a Lexus SC, so that's pretty entertaining. At least to me. And fortunately, no one has complained since I got rid of the straightpiped supercharged C63 AMG.

My other car is an '01 BMW 525i touring with almost 200,000 miles. So there's that. Low key life.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
"ANOTHER new car?!?". Yeah, i've heard that.

"You must be loaded; what does that one cost??" I don't answer.

My favorite car/finance related response usually is: "Think about your life and take away the kids and all their expenses; what would your life be like? Well, that's us".

Anyone that drops those in passing, I ignore. Anyone that gets to know me understands. I drive; I track; I detail; I love them. I've been with the same woman for 20 years. I am promiscuous instead with cars. It's much cheaper
20 years, meh, i am at 27th year now. she still thinks she made a mistake marrying me.

when they asked how much, i usually say "a lot" then they stop asking
when they ask what i do, i have many different answers, mood dependent...
retired
inheritance
i sell high end drugs, opium is my specialty
i do weapons trading, why dont you come in, i'll show you the latest chemical weapon i have in....
human trafficking,may i show you my basement?
i sell organ on ebay, what's your blood type?

the expression on their faces... priceless.

show and tell, my 6 yo said "my mom is a doctor. my dad doesnt work but kills ppl....and dont get him angry. when he is angry he goes crazy... very mean....." not sure where he got that from.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

i live in a little beach neighborhood. not the fanciest one in socal and I like that. i'm not a fancy person but i like the beach weather. cool mix of old money, new money, rentals, students, etc. no hoa. no bull****. lots of really wealthy people that drive ****ty cars and walk around in shorts with their shirts off and flip flops. one guy walks around with a bird on his shoulder. he's probably richest guy in the area. and lots of younger people renting that like living by the beach and drinking beers in the front yards. i like to do that too. See no HOAs here.

My neighbors stop and chat about my cars. they think i'm a little crazy. Never once have they complained, said it's loud, called the cops, asked if I'm rich, asked stupid questions. They do like to ask about driving it on the track, how fast it can go, that kinda stuff. They just think it's kinda cool they walk by and its up on 4 jack stands, music blasting, beer on the floor, and I'm underneath it all dirty and greasy. Never asked what I do either. One guy does shake his head a bit (cool guy) when he sees a new car, which is often, but not as often as Mooty. He's insane.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ i need to visit your neighborhood.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:03 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

"Nice car, how much you paid?"
My answer: "I paid what they were asking".

Quick Reply: Your neighborhood.....