OT: Seeking Some Advice from my Rennlist Buddies

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:59 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts
Default OT: Seeking Some Advice from my Rennlist Buddies

All,

This is pretty far off-topic, but I'm going to leverage the little bit of credibility I have on the forum from posting a bunch of crap to ask for some help.

Please forgive me, but I'm going to speak candidly here for a few minutes. Those that have read my "rags to GT3" story already heard this, but I'll give the short story and reason for me making this thread. I was a poor kid growing up, hard-working working parents, graduated from a good school with a BSEE, had a few lucky breaks and a bunch of hard work, and I have most everything I could have ever dreamed of getting: beautiful wife, healthy amazing children, a great career, etc., etc. I'm by no means "rich," but I'm here.

I'm not sure what you believe, but I'm certain that Divine intervention brickwalled me into realizing that this "success" wasn't all me. I know I was heading down the wrong path of too much self and not enough others. Long story short, I was crippled earlier last year for about a month when my then undiagnosed OCD came to a head. I was unable to function for quite some time. Before this all happened, I thought of myself as Superman and did't need anybody else. I thought of others that didn't know as much as me as weak and lazy.

Well, part of my "therapy" has been to include others and not do it all by myself. This has been the reason for my onslaught on the forums. What has come out of this "sharing" thus far is way beyond what I thought was possible. I joke that I don't have any friends which isn't totally true. My circle is just smaller than most. Through my recent outreach, I have met, had discussions, and become friends with so many amazing people that are a lot like me.

I can't believe the response I have gotten from my Journals and YouTube channel. I get dozens of PMs every day from the four forums where I contribute. I have coached and talked to many college students about their path in life, made connections and friendships with several people that I would have never met, made contacts with many different shops and aftermarket companies, etc., etc. I have also been offered products to review(some I have accepted, some not). I could go on and on at how amazing this ride has been.

I now have a new direction in my life. I honestly feel like my OCD disaster has been a much needed life lesson where God grabbed me by the shoulders and turned me in the right direction.

So where is this over-sharing going? I believe I've uncovered something. I'm not sure what it is yet. Maybe a possible niche where my unique brand of crazy leads me to some kind of business opportunity. I've thought about getting a Ph.D. in finance or financial planning (which I may still pursue). But I've spent the past ten years becoming an expert and would like to dial back the knowledge pursuit a bit. I don't want to shut down the ascent, but believe a doctorate would be something better pursued later in life.

Here is what I'm thinking. I have this YouTube channel and my detailed Journals. I've been dreaming of building a website that shares similar content but organized all in one place where I determine what is cool and what is not. I'm not completely sure what this looks like.

In full disclosure, I have no intention quitting my current gig, so I may want to figure out how to incorporate my car passion with my knowledge and love of providing financial advice. I'm not sure how these areas of knowledge fit together, but I honestly believe that true car guys are meant to have me as an advisor to them for their life savings.

I mention this side, selfish bit of information to help you understand the facts for the root of my question. I am trying to figure out what to call this site. I'm guessing it's going to appeal to guys that are the 20 year-old version of me, but I don't want to be looked at as a joke by "wiser" people.

My first choice was:

www.thatsjunk.com - I keep coming back to this name. It sums up the old me and adds a bit of irony in that the site will have nothing on it that is junk. My friends and family make fun of me all the time. When they ask for my advice on something like a ridiculous investment or crappy LCD TV, my typical response is "That's junk." My worry here is that if this thing does take off(unlikely I know, but I'm trying to think ahead), no one would take me seriously as a legitimate source of information. Someone owns this URL, but I think I can buy it.

www.mattmoreman.com - This one is boring but obvious.

I have thought about something cheezey like:
www.obsessedgarage.com or something like that.

There are many well-educated, talented people on this forum. I'd like to hear your honest opinions on my cockamamie scheme. I'd like to know if my peers think I'm crazy to waste my time building a worthless site, or if you believe I'm on to something. Thanks for entertaining me, and I look forward to any advice you may have.

Humbly,

Matt
Old 03-14-2015, 12:15 AM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about www.thelift.com (if it is available) The lift for the obvious....cars,etc. The lift also for your mention of God. He was there. or how about upwardspiral.com

Last edited by Bandit201; 03-14-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

I was rude not to thank you for your story. Very tough to write but certainly took *****.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 AM
Shrevehorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post. I'm an old guy and probably can't help on a cool website name, but I'll think about it.

Personally, I'd follow what you are posting. I'll post more later if I think it might help you.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 AM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

Money, you have already gone a long way in establishing a following, brand, reputation. My humble thoughts are you build on that and incorporate your already established name into your websites name.
Money's garage dot com
MattMoreman dot com
Maybe not the most catchy names but instant credibility
All the best!

Last edited by NSD991; 03-14-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:30 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Thank you for sharing, that takes real courage. Your posts are very informative and as educational as any others. I do think you could turn your passion into more than a hobby, and earn supplemental income (if that is your goal) along the way.

My only advice re: branding and naming site is not to use your name unless your only vision is for this to be a one man show forever. If your idea "blows up" in a good way, your going to want an exit path, and the value of your business becomes less if it is perceived that you are the business.

I worked hard for the last 7-8 years removing myself from my business so that they value is as much or more without me than with me.

That's my two cents.

(PS I also have a sapphire blue 15 GT3 and Aqua Blue 11RS. I think it would be worth driving them to FL for you to detail. You would be quite appalled as my lack of auto cleanliness).
Old 03-14-2015, 08:58 AM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Thank you for sharing, that takes real courage. Your posts are very informative and as educational as any others. I do think you could turn your passion into more than a hobby, and earn supplemental income (if that is your goal) along the way.

My only advice re: branding and naming site is not to use your name unless your only vision is for this to be a one man show forever. If your idea "blows up" in a good way, your going to want an exit path, and the value of your business becomes less if it is perceived that you are the business.

I worked hard for the last 7-8 years removing myself from my business so that they value is as much or more without me than with me.

That's my two cents.

(PS I also have a sapphire blue 15 GT3 and Aqua Blue 11RS. I think it would be worth driving them to FL for you to detail. You would be quite appalled as my lack of auto cleanliness).
Lots of good thoughts as well!
Now I've confused myself thinking about your question. Lol. Good luck
Old 03-14-2015, 10:31 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Tough question and thanks for sharing all that Matt. You're a good dude.

I actually like obsessedgarage.com

Jeff
Old 03-14-2015, 12:40 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

thanks for sharing it does take some courage! Whatever you do here, consider this piece of advice- don't make your hobby your business, it takes the fun out of it. Conversely, you shouldn't start a business in something you aren't passionate about, so there's your Yin and Yang. I guess if you have other hobbies, then loosing one to a business would be a good path. Just some things to consider...
Old 03-14-2015, 12:58 PM
RBH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a regular poster on RL, but I do recognize your name, Money. (From Bimmerpost mostly) Thanks for sharing this story.

I don't think you need to spend much time on figuring out a name (obsessedgarage.com is actually pretty cool if you ask me), because you'll lose focus on the endproduct IMHO. I made that mistake when I tried to come up with a name for my company, almost lost track of the actual goal of the company.

Btw; if you need any help with developing the actual website, you can always shoot me a PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:09 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for sharing the story - I would go with obsessedgarage.com and run with it before someone else grabs it.

It works well for really anything related to the automotive sector and who knows where things might end up.

Thatsjunk.com seems to strike an emotional cord with you - but I really have no idea what product its selling or related to. I would probably never click on it in a google search - I've actually used a couple of trash removal businesses 1800gotjunk.com and junkluggers.com in the past, so I would have thought you were a similar business.

Would never use an individual name unless its for a celebrity and it's a business you can't scale with additional employees.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:31 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Obesessedgarage.com is way better than my suggestions........
Old 03-14-2015, 01:46 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bandit201
Obesessedgarage.com is way better than my suggestions........
Same
Old 03-14-2015, 02:00 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Garageguru.com seems to be unused but registered and registration expires in late May.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:14 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Matt,
You are an articulate writer and express yourself with words in a way that captures attention and holds it. No matter what name you choose it will be your content that makes it successful; good luck.
I like www.thatscrap.com

Quick Reply: OT: Seeking Some Advice from my Rennlist Buddies