Sponsored by:

Buffeting fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
Exactly...At least with the 991 you could crack the roof and it alleviated the issue. Here they are with a GT3 which is mostly intended for track use where we all know you typically keep windows down and they just let that go? It's not like it would taken immense amounts of time and money to correct it. Ridiculous.
I have to agree. Even if only half of the gt3s end up in the US where we drive with windows down. That's a big enough percentage to do something about it!
The reason is likely that most of the testing is done in Europe with windows up!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
[B]
I decide to try Mech33's idea! Great idea and very inexpensive! All you need is the wiper blade,
scissors, Double sided tape with foam center, and some rubbing alcohol to clean the surface.

I took it out for a 110 mph trial with only the driver window down and NO BUFFET!

Thanks Mech33! If anyone would like a step by step guide I'll post it.

Total cost: about $20
Nice work! I'll have to do the same again until someone comes out with a halfway decent-looking solution.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:06 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Great fix! Question, goes the rubber slide in or is it held on by double sided tape?
I pulled the rubber angle aero part of the blade off the wiper after I pulled
off the end caps. I cut the hook channel off the bottom of the "V".
I cut some doubled sided foam 3M tape to about 3/8ths width and about 5 in.
long. I cleaned the rubber aero piece with rubbing alcohol. I fit the tape into
the other channel and down the aero piece. I measured the angle and cut it
with big swiss army knife scissors. Clean where you will mount it to the door.
Measure the length you want it and cut the lower and upper angle. Then stick it on.
Done. Took me 10 min.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:59 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently received the AWE solution from their latest production batch. Tried for about 30 minutes to get the clip on the foiler to mate with the tab on the window trim - no luck. The OEM triangular piece comes off and goes back on quite easily, but my AWE piece would not. Any tips or tricks from you guys that have successfully installed this would be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:41 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my indy shop put the AWE foils on yesterday because I don't have many tools. It turns out the driver's side one (first one mounted) was too snug on the j hook piece and my tech needed to file off some carbon fiber material under the hook side to make it fit properly.
Yes exposed screw and so no need for door panel removal, etc. Used curved bridge piece. Passenger side one was an easy fit.
So driver's side 30 min due to filing gently and test fitting and passenger side 3 minutes.

So see if that is an issue? Maybe one side will be easier than the other and you can troubleshoot that way.
QC from parts made in_______.

Good Luck
Old 04-21-2015, 03:47 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Thanks. Will give filing a try. Agree with the poor QC.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
Agree with the poor QC.
You can say that again. I'm not surprised that you're having issues. I'm surprised mine actually fit given how the shoddy the backside looked. The ghetto wood screws that were clipped were clipped too short and wouldn't engage to get a bite of anything. I had to clip my own screw.

My passenger side foil has a defect in the finish. I called AWE to ask for a replacement, and they referred me to this link:

http://www.awe-tuning.com/returns/

I filled out the form but haven't heard back from them yet.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:33 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Another Solution

I've resorted to a $2.83 solution from Pep Boys.

It's a 3M heavy duty door guard that comes with two sided tape already affixed.

I had to trim the right and left door guards to fit the side mirror / door molding area.

Cutting of the guard / install took 1 1/2 minutes.

The result is not bad cosmetically.
Attached Images    
Old 04-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas

I had to trim the right and left door guards to fit the side mirror / door molding area.

LOL! Nice work!!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:44 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You can say that again. I'm not surprised that you're having issues. I'm surprised mine actually fit given how the shoddy the backside looked. The ghetto wood screws that were clipped were clipped too short and wouldn't engage to get a bite of anything. I had to clip my own screw.

Finally got mine installed today. Had to dremmel some carbon out from the back layer in order to get the tab to mate with the slot properly. Then I had to cut my own woodscrews to mount their adapter. The screws that AWE supplied were cut off woodscrews that only had at most 2 threads to bite into the wind deflector.

It's hard for me to believe that Porsche is still producing cars that can't run over 100mph with the windows down without our heads exploding. This problem has been present and reported since the 991 came out. Shouldn't we expect more from what is supposed to be the finest producer of sports cars in the world??? They should have retro'd a fix long ago and placed the solution into the production line. Seriously, we now have people taping cut off pieces of wiper blades onto their 150k cars, just so they can run their cars on a track with the windows down!!! Porsche should be ashamed.

As for AWE. They should immediately fire whoever is in charge of their quality control. We should not have to file, rasp, dremmel, or otherwise modify their $160 solution. And, those screws they provide in the kit, what a joke. How can they ship a kit like that? Terrible. They better work on the back straight at Road Atlanta.

*END RANT*
Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
Finally got mine installed today. Had to dremmel some carbon out from the back layer in order to get the tab to mate with the slot properly. Then I had to cut my own woodscrews to mount their adapter. The screws that AWE supplied were cut off woodscrews that only had at most 2 threads to bite into the wind deflector.

It's hard for me to believe that Porsche is still producing cars that can't run over 100mph with the windows down without our heads exploding. This problem has been present and reported since the 991 came out. Shouldn't we expect more from what is supposed to be the finest producer of sports cars in the world??? They should have retro'd a fix long ago and placed the solution into the production line. Seriously, we now have people taping cut off pieces of wiper blades onto their 150k cars, just so they can run their cars on a track with the windows down!!! Porsche should be ashamed.

As for AWE. They should immediately fire whoever is in charge of their quality control. We should not have to file, rasp, dremmel, or otherwise modify their $160 solution. And, those screws they provide in the kit, what a joke. How can they ship a kit like that? Terrible. They better work on the back straight at Road Atlanta.

*END RANT*
Yup. Unacceptable for both Porsche and AWE....
Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rubbaman's solution

Just returned from a day at the track with the Rubbaman solution. Worked perfect. Simple and easy but not as cheap as the door guard approach.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:44 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas

Does it come off again easily without any leftovers?
So basically: Can you stick it on for a trackday and remove it easily after the day (and repeat the process for the next trackday)?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:36 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Hit sebring today without it. Serious buffeting started at 110 or so. Caused visual distortion. added wiper blades using 3m double sided sticky tape (black stuff) and problem was solved out to 145 or so. 95% of buffeting was negated. Excellent solution that takes 2 minutes to appy, and 30 seconds to remove/reuse.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:07 PM
MAQ
Track Day

Thanks for the idea sasportas. I installed them as well because I did not like the reports from others about difficulty installing the AWE part. Looks fine.

Quick Reply: Buffeting fixed