Buffeting fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
wish they just made a plain matte black one
Same here. I don't want to pay extra for carbon fiber that looks worse than plain plastic...
Old 03-10-2015, 05:35 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Same here. I don't want to pay extra for carbon fiber that looks worse than plain plastic...
It's $160. I do not see plastic ones being much under $100, unless you make them yourself. Buffeting on track was pretty bad, so to me it's very much worth it.

It's super-easy to rattle-can or plastidip them flat black before installing. I just did not want to do that.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 03-24-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:14 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

I installed them also. They work, but I did feel they were poorly made for the price. If anyone has any fab skills, they would be better off making it themselves. Mine didn't align correctly and wasted some time getting it straight.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (10-03-2021)
Old 03-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Josh/AWE
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I've installed the awe tuning carbon fibre thingies to defeat buffeting at speed, and they work at least till 85 mph (my driveway is too short for higher speeds ;-) ). Contrary to popular belief, install does not require removing door panels and is a non-invasive 30 minute job. I'll post pictures once I get to a computer. They look pretty good
Thank you for your review, pictures, and driveway drag test of our thingies!

We wanted to produce a high quality piece that is also eye catching; faithful to the premium aura that Porsche is known for. That said, we realize the carbon fiber finish may not be for everyone. With some light sanding and a few coats of paint, they can be any color you desire. A production mold is a fairly expensive endeavor for either plastic or carbon fiber in a limited volume. We've been doing a lot of intricate work with carbon fiber as of late with our S-FLO intakes and wanted to carry this premium look over into our Foiler™. We do have a 991 Turbo intake almost ready for launch!

Originally Posted by fastmd
I installed them also. They work, but I did feel they were poorly made for the price. If anyone has any fab skills, they would be better off making it themselves. Mine didn't align correctly and wasted some time getting it straight.
What was required to align them correctly?

We apologize for delays on shipping. We misjudged the demand for our Foiler™ and the initial batches sold out quickly. Production is ramped up and more will be available soon. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to help you with an order to get one in your hands at the earliest convenience.

Please PM me if you have any questions!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
Thank you for your review, pictures, and driveway drag test of our thingies!

We wanted to produce a high quality piece that is also eye catching; faithful to the premium aura that Porsche is known for. That said, we realize the carbon fiber finish may not be for everyone. With some light sanding and a few coats of paint, they can be any color you desire. A production mold is a fairly expensive endeavor for either plastic or carbon fiber in a limited volume. We've been doing a lot of intricate work with carbon fiber as of late with our S-FLO intakes and wanted to carry this premium look over into our Foiler™. We do have a 991 Turbo intake almost ready for launch!

What was required to align them correctly?

We apologize for delays on shipping. We misjudged the demand for our Foiler™ and the initial batches sold out quickly. Production is ramped up and more will be available soon. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to help you with an order to get one in your hands at the earliest convenience.

Please PM me if you have any questions!
Can you make a plain black plastic version in the same mold?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 PM
Josh/AWE
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Can you make a plain black plastic version in the same mold?
Thank you for asking. The manufacturing processes are very different between carbon fiber and plastic, we would be unable to do so.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 PM
vdar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Mike. Just ordered it... our track season in the PNW isn't that long, so I hope it doesn't take months to arrive
Old 03-25-2015, 12:00 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I would buy one that looked OEM, plain black plastic. If I wanted carbon fiber, I'd have spec'd carbon fiber interior trim. Not having any carbon fiber anywhere, except under the wing where one fills water and oil that no one sees, the last thing I want to do is slap on something that sticks out like a sore thumb.

And, plain black plastic should not be nearly as expensive as carbon fiber. I have a feeling that some vendors mark things up for Porsche customers because "we can afford it" thinking we don't know whether the product is good value or not. Seriously, $160 for a piece of plastic wouldn't be right at all. $160 for a piece of carbon fiber, maybe. And, that's probably why it's only being sold in CF since it shouldn't be more than $50 for a plastic version.

Dan (is annoyed by the OEM version and is unreasonably taking it out on a poor vendor)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hfm
I would buy one that looked OEM, plain black plastic. If I wanted carbon fiber, I'd have spec'd carbon fiber interior trim. Not having any carbon fiber anywhere, except under the wing where one fills water and oil that no one sees, the last thing I want to do is slap on something that sticks out like a sore thumb.

And, plain black plastic should not be nearly as expensive as carbon fiber. I have a feeling that some vendors mark things up for Porsche customers because "we can afford it" thinking we don't know whether the product is good value or not. Seriously, $160 for a piece of plastic wouldn't be right at all. $160 for a piece of carbon fiber, maybe. And, that's probably why it's only being sold in CF since it shouldn't be more than $50 for a plastic version.

Dan (is annoyed by the OEM version and is unreasonably taking it out on a poor vendor)
Agreed 100%.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I would buy one that looked OEM, plain black plastic. If I wanted carbon fiber, I'd have spec'd carbon fiber interior trim. Not having any carbon fiber anywhere, except under the wing where one fills water and oil that no one sees, the last thing I want to do is slap on something that sticks out like a sore thumb. And, plain black plastic should not be nearly as expensive as carbon fiber. I have a feeling that some vendors mark things up for Porsche customers because "we can afford it" thinking we don't know whether the product is good value or not. Seriously, $160 for a piece of plastic wouldn't be right at all. $160 for a piece of carbon fiber, maybe. And, that's probably why it's only being sold in CF since it shouldn't be more than $50 for a plastic version. Dan (is annoyed by the OEM version and is unreasonably taking it out on a poor vendor)
Dan,

You can have the carbon painted to match the black trim. More importantly, the carbon is lighter and will make your car faster

I'm with you. A black plastic version in this exact same piece would probably have a bigger mass appeal. If there is a huge market for these, I'm sure you'll see someone else getting into the game. My assumption is, that it's a pretty niche product.

Mine were $155 including shipping from Supreme Power.

There is a lot that does in to making a mold, designing, etc. The AWE's get installed the right away and just not stuck on.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:27 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Dan,

You can have the carbon painted to match the black trim. More importantly, the carbon is lighter and will make your car faster

I'm with you. A black plastic version in this exact same piece would probably have a bigger mass appeal. If there is a huge market for these, I'm sure you'll see someone else getting into the game. My assumption is, that it's a pretty niche product.

There is a lot that does in to making a mold, designing, etc. The AWE's get installed the right away and just not stuck on.
Well, you have to figure you're paying for the expensive carbon fiber regardless of whether you paint it. And, you'll know that you paid for something you never wanted when there should have been an affordable option that was the right piece in the first place. I just don't like being "up-sold" but, I appreciate your thoughts. And I do commend the vendor for producing a piece that forum members say works, fits and does what it's designed to do.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by STG991
Dan,

If someone made a nice OEM-looking set of these at the right price, the market could be virtually every 991 owner out there that wants to be able to drive with the windows down even at freeway speeds (not just track junkies).
Old 03-25-2015, 02:17 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If someone made a nice OEM-looking set of these at the right price, the market could be virtually every 991 owner out there that wants to be able to drive with the windows down even at freeway speeds (not just track junkies).
yes yes yes
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Josh/AWE
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

All things considered, we do try to deliver premium products. We prefer to incorporate carbon fiber whenever possible over plastic to deliver on that. The demand for our carbon fiber items overseas (Asia, primarily) is overwhelming; they expect it of us. I can tell you that we have not applied a "Porsche tax" to these. I personally do not approve of that, I have a thoroughly modified Miata (poor man's Porsche?) and am regularly gouged on boutique interior components. There have been more expensive solutions out there, and there will be cheaper alternatives no doubt. We experienced the buffeting problem and acted quickly to produce a high quality solution. If ours is for you, I'd be more than happy to help get them in your hands as soon as we can.

We do want to thank everyone for their input, we are listening, and we will keep your wishes in mind as we continue to develop new products!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm with you! With the design investment, mold cost, etc.. You'd have some costs to recoup hence the higher original retails. I'm sure that's what AWE is going against, especially if they don't expect to make tens of thousands.

Personally, If I was them I would have made a plastic version to start with and charge around $79.95

The carbon doesn't have anywhere as broad of an appeal as an OEM matching black one.
If anything, offer two versions if there is demand for both.

If they don't do it, someone will. That's the way the free market goes!

Quick Reply: Buffeting fixed