Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS revelations live from the Geneva Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to be clear. I posted some slides on the other thread will help klnopw the difference between teh cars.

Both 991 GT3 + GT3RS have rear keeper springs. The keeper springs on the RS are attached to the main spring which removes need for perches and saves 1kg all round! No real difference just different execution to save a little weight (unsprung weight on rear increased alot with wider rubber, bigger wheels etc).

The only notable change to the suspension between the two models is that the 991 Gt3RS has top spherical ball mounts on shocks. These should be available for 991 Gt3 owners should they wish to use them I would imagine.

The only change to gearbox is final drive ratio (input shaft pline gear?). This is to offset change in rolling radius of wheels over GT3.

Engine changes minimal and in line with capacity increase and more piston mass, heat etc.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mech33
Will get an up close pic of the microfiber and ask about production numbers. The other personal opinion questions I'll answer in a few hours when I post pics. Anything else??

Just enjoying a beer in the Porsche VIP lounge with a nice view of the GT4 and GT3RS... Rough life today.
Mech, not sure if next to the white Cayenne is a Macan in a new color: Impulse Red (like a candy apple red). Can you snap a photo of that please? Or is that a just a red Cayenne? Can't see from your VIP photo.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Last thing. In the USA you are lucky you have glass windows. Those plexi windows nice idea but they let in alot of heat and they scratch real easy when you clean the car. I know a 996GT3RS owner (ROW) who had them removed and replaced with glass because they dont like lots of UV (they yellow and haze with time) and they made his car heat up. Also he said impossible to clean windows of deposits like tyre marbles without leaving scratches and have to be careful of product used to clean them! they are for racing cars where appearance doesnt matter not for road cars. personally I think in USA you should be more than pleased to have glass :-)
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Great post. Thanks for taking the time. Do you feel more likely to purchase one now after seeing it in person?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts

I was lucky enough to have travel for work to Europe during this week, so I decided to take a hopper flight to Geneva to check out the show today.

- There are special plastic side panels in back with cutouts in the plastic for the club sport bar (I need some of these for my GT3!)

Good stuff Mech33.

Can you clarify and get photos on rollbar questions below if possible? Are the plastic panels covering front rollbar mounting point behind seats or just rear? Are rear mounting points on top of strut tower or on shelf?

And most critically, can you ask if mounting points will come installed on USA cars if anyone is there from PAG to answer?
Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Those panels same as ROW clubsport spec GT3...

Plexi looses heated element. Very handy cold mornings IMO. They should go lightweight glass like with 993RS. It's doable. Plastic not practical.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Please can you find out what the radio delete actually is? I am assuming there must be remaining speakers for chimes as in the z28. If so, can it still play music via Bluetooth or aux wire?
Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Will get an up close pic of the microfiber and ask about production numbers. The other personal opinion questions I'll answer in a few hours when I post pics. Anything else??

Just enjoying a beer in the Porsche VIP lounge with a nice view of the GT4 and GT3RS... Rough life today.

Not a bad view!
Old 03-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 720 Posts

I would really love to hear you impressions of the GT4. I actually like a stiffer clutch feel but your impressions would appreciated and any other info you learned about it
Old 03-05-2015, 02:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Last thing. In the USA you are lucky you have glass windows. Those plexi windows nice idea but they let in alot of heat and they scratch real easy when you clean the car. I know a 996GT3RS owner (ROW) who had them removed and replaced with glass because they dont like lots of UV (they yellow and haze with time) and they made his car heat up. Also he said impossible to clean windows of deposits like tyre marbles without leaving scratches and have to be careful of product used to clean them! they are for racing cars where appearance doesnt matter not for road cars. personally I think in USA you should be more than pleased to have glass :-)
A clear vinyl UV film over the plexi windows with solve most of those problems.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a look around it today as well - great-looking car although I didn't like the orange much. In the show lighting it looked more like a salmon colour, or some dodgy unpleasant lipstick. If it was a nice bold orange then fine, but this colour looked quite odd.

Very nice lunch in the Porsche stand, too :-)
Old 03-05-2015, 02:45 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

GT4 clutch didn't seem any heavier than my Boxster's. The yellow car looked fantastic IMO.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks for info Mech!
Old 03-05-2015, 03:00 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

can you let the marketing staff know , that many customers would like more color choices
Old 03-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Updates! Got a few answers to your questions (at least according to the folks on the floor, so take it with a grain of salt. I did ask multiple folks until I found a guy that seemed to know what he was talking about. Also, pics!

Originally Posted by CGT000
Thank you for Your report. Can you please find out about total production numbers and possible US market allocation and if this model is a limited production model?
The car is NOT a "limited production" model. They will build it for a certain amount of time, and crank out as many cars as they can. They told me they would build the car through the end of the calendar year, and roughly estimated about 1,000 cars world-wide. They suggested that this was roughly half that of the regular GT3. (I didn't cross-check their numbers) They said they did not have a breakdown by country, but did say that the US typically gets the largest share of cars.

Originally Posted by ZZinger
Does the Geneva car have alacantara or microfiber interior?. If possible feel the microfiber and take a few close up pictures. We have no idea what that material is going to look like.
Ask and ye shall receive! The microfiber seemed like a *slightly* rougher / chunkier version of the Alcantara. Very similar texture, just the “grains” on the microfiber seemed a tad larger. Here are some pics of the microfiber, as well as the Alcantara side-by-side.

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^Good info!
-what are your impressions of the Lava Orange?
-can you inquire as to suspension differences from the GT3...other than helper springs in rear?
-Different steering wheel shift paddles than GT3?
-Any changes to the PDK-S?
Thanks for your help, and enjoy your trip!
The lava orange grew on me a bit throughout the show. Overall I liked it. To my eyes, it’s sort of from the same pastel-isn family as “Mexico Blue”. It looks like a PTS car. That being said, it was a tad more “burnt” or “reddish” than I would have liked it to be. Overall still a cool color. It’s the only color that comes with a color-matched roll bar in the back for the ROW markets (all other colors come with a black bar). So clearly this is “the” color of the 991 GT3RS.

As far as the PDK-S, the trans appears to be the same other than the final drive ratio. Here are the paddles for comparison in case you can tell if there is a difference:

Originally Posted by Napoli
Thanks for the observations.

Impressed? Disappointed?

If you were hoping to own one of these cars and are in the position to do so, are you now more or less likely to buy either?
Overall the car lived up to my expectations set by the photos I saw in advance. Definitely stunning in person. Inside, it feels the same as the GT3 (the orange microfiber is too much for me, and IMO will get dirty quickly). Perhaps what I like most about the car is that you could unbolt the huge wing when you drive the car around town, and then put it back on for the track.

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I use the lift on my GT3, but it seems the RS may not need the lift based on your comments. Any further thoughts on the car's ground clearance? Thanks for the post.
Again, the car looks high to me in person. It does not look as low as the regular GT3. Here are some pictures of the wheel areas:

Originally Posted by hotwired
Thanks for the great info! I'm curious if they will eventually offer a pdk option in the gt4 or a manual version of the gt3rs.
The guy specifically said they were working on a PDK GT4 and it would be available within ~2 years. He said expect an announce in Frankfurt (September 2016), with availability 2017. The same guy also said a clear NO to a manual GT3RS, ever...

Originally Posted by KenU
Mech, not sure if next to the white Cayenne is a Macan in a new color: Impulse Red (like a candy apple red). Can you snap a photo of that please? Or is that a just a red Cayenne? Can't see from your VIP photo.
I confirmed that those red cars are Carmine Red.

Originally Posted by fastmd
Great post. Thanks for taking the time. Do you feel more likely to purchase one now after seeing it in person?
Tempted, but still +$41k over the GT3 is probably too much for me. Plus, I’m looking for a daily driver sports car, and the GT3RS is a little too over-the-top to drive to work. :P

Originally Posted by Nizer
Good stuff Mech33.

Can you clarify and get photos on rollbar questions below if possible? Are the plastic panels covering front rollbar mounting point behind seats or just rear? Are rear mounting points on top of strut tower or on shelf?

And most critically, can you ask if mounting points will come installed on USA cars if anyone is there from PAG to answer?
Yes, there appear to be custom plastic panels at both the rear lid mounting area, and the front mounting area. I assume these are the same panels as found on the GT3 with ClubSport package:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would really love to hear you impressions of the GT4. I actually like a stiffer clutch feel but your impressions would appreciated and any other info you learned about it
GT4 looked good! Not as impressive visually as the GT3RS, obviously. I think the GT4 could really have used some “hips” to make it sound out from the regular Cayman.

And now on to pics about what I spoke about before:

- With orange interior, there is an orange stripe on steering wheel (not yellow)

- The front Porsche emblem is a sticker

- There is a "GT3RS 4.0" badge on the engine cover, putting those 3.9L rumors to an end!

- The tachometer face is gray like the GT3, not white

Last edited by Mech33; 03-05-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: GT3RS revelations live from the Geneva Motor Show