Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Porsche didn't have any issue letting 997.2 GT3 comprehensively outperform 997.1 GT3 RS (7:40 vs 7:48). Doubt it will be an issue now.
You might be right. I only bring it up because it seems like the pace of improvement has slowed with the lap times. Porsche seems to have hit a wall at 7:20 for a GT car without a turbo. Either way, I'm pretty darn happy with my GT3 :-)
Old 03-10-2015, 02:49 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I was at my local P-car dealer today getting my GT3 serviced. While I was there, I was chatting with the service manager about the 991 GT3 and he stated that Porsche is supposed to release a manual option for the 991.2 GT3.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:13 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
IMHO: 4.0L flat eight, normally aspirated, 9250 RPM, motor moved another couple of inches forward. All regular 911s will be turbo.

A 4 liter flat eight would allow much smaller pistons and thus theoretically faster revving. How about 525 HP sound?
There was a study conducted in Germany that showed that 0.5L/ cylinder is the optimal size for hp, emission etc. This is why VW and Audi are going to 2.0/3.0/4.0 engines. My crystal ball tells me that at 3.0 inline 6 with turbo and/or electrical assist is most likely on Porsche cars of the future. The GT3 could be the unicorn but my crystal ball is not clear here.
4.0-8 will add weight and increase fuel consumption.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it has been known for a while that larger pistons hit a wall ultimately. Remember when F1 cars had V8 engines with pistons the size of baby food jars? I have read sonewhere that many internally at Porsche see the current piston size of the flat six to be at a dead end. If I am correct the 4.0 flat six got there via longer stroke. If the GT3 is to remain normally aspirated I would think that a flat eight is the way to go.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

I think it has been known for a while that larger pistons hit a wall ultimately. Remember when F1 cars had V8 engines with pistons the size of baby food jars? I have read sonewhere that many internally at Porsche see the current piston size of the flat six to be at a dead end. If I am correct the 4.0 flat six got there via longer stroke. If the GT3 is to remain normally aspirated I would think that a flat eight is the way to go.
Or they can just add turbos and have 700 or even 800 hp with minimal R&D expense... Spend a tiny bit of R&D money, and it can be made as lag-less as NA engine. Hate to give them such ideas, but I'm sure they have thought of it.

I'd rather have them keep the engine relatively unchanged and get the car weight down to under 2500lbs via carbon fiber tub and other bits.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Max I agree that from a dollars and cents perspective (cost wise) some kind of FI is the way to go. I just hope that PAG will see to retain a line of NA cars. That most likely could be very costly due to development of a new engine. I guess that what FIA/ACO ultimately decide with respect to GT3 rules will ultimately have a bearing on the direction Porsche will ultimately go. If FIA/ACO define GT3 as with FI motors then that will be the answer.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:53 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
I was at my local P-car dealer today getting my GT3 serviced. While I was there, I was chatting with the service manager about the 991 GT3 and he stated that Porsche is supposed to release a manual option for the 991.2 GT3.

MT in the next 3 and PTS on the current RS...wow what a night. One can only hope, let's just never give up boys.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Max I agree that from a dollars and cents perspective (cost wise) some kind of FI is the way to go. I just hope that PAG will see to retain a line of NA cars. That most likely could be very costly due to development of a new engine. I guess that is what FIA/ACO ultimately decide with respect to GT3 rules will ultimately have a bearing on the direction Porsche will ultimately go. If FIA/ACO define GT3 as with FI motors then that will be the answer.
The Buzzwords for the FIA/ACO is a fuel economy. I suspect that looking at all of the entries at LaMans this year you will find most of them will be turbocharged or supercharged in the prototype groups. That is where engine development is going to achieve lightweight and horsepower. So I fear the GT3 is on the same track. Ford is planning on entering their new Ford GT in GT3 racing. Look at the engine in that particular car. Architecture for size and placement dictates smaller lighter engine capable of high horse power. All of the major manufacturers are in constant communication and discussion with the FIA/ACO on future engine and specification development. Those manufacturers know where things are going and will be planning a product placement accordingly.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
I wonder, if following Porsche practice of making subsequent same line models better performing than the predecessors, how can they make the 991.2 MT faster than the 991.1 PDK. BIG HP jump? Turbo?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

I wonder, if following Porsche practice of making subsequent same line models better performing than the predecessors, how can they make the 991.2 MT faster than the 991.1 PDK. BIG HP jump? Turbo?
No way would a manual 991.2 GT3 be faster than a .1 PDK GT3, unless there is a much larger than usual increase in HP. The electronic diff, and some other components won't work with a manual.

However, it doesn't need to be faster. Just having a manual option will be enough. People overpaying for 997 GT3s lately didn't care that the care was slower than the 991 GT3. They just wanted a manual.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

I love my .1 GT3. I can't think of anything that would tempt me to order a .2 GT3, unless the 991.2 GT3 gets a 4.0 liter engine, with corresponding torque increase.

A typical Porsche modest hp for the .2 GT3 wouldn't interest me.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Next GT3 will have a version of the 4.0L in the RS for improved torque, with a HP rating between the current 475 and the RS's 500HP. Please keep it secret!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Next GT3 will have a version of the 4.0L in the RS for improved torque, with a HP rating between the current 475 and the RS's 500HP. Please keep it secret!
Won't tell a soul..........

Seriously, I would get a .2 GT3 if they come with a 4.0L engine and I can do PTS.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Won't tell a soul..........

Seriously, I would get a .2 GT3 if they come with a 4.0L engine and I can do PTS.

Now that would possibly make me want to order one.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sunset gun
Two Cents I believe the 9A1 was conceived and produced as a stop-gap engine to mark time between the Mezger and whatever is next. Mezger insurmountables (even for Porsche) are: high part count (supposedly twice that of 9A1), high manufacturing cost, and, going forward, inability to meet ever more Draconian environmental regulations. Political correctness often carries a very high price. I see proof of the 9A1's "place holder" status in the fact that Porsche has invested ZERO in putting it into meaningful competition. Don't know whats next, but probably smaller, probably force fed, probably semi-electric (at least at some point). Hope it still sounds like a real Porsche.
True. 9A1 is nowhere as a Motorsports engine. It's a lost ball in the high weeds and nobody is looking for it. Mezger is old, expensive and heavy. (And fabulous)

Flat six is stretched on displacement at much beyond 4.0-4.2 liters. That leaves flat 8 (nobody will die upon the revelation) or forced induction. I would vastly prefer the former. And if forced to accept FI, would even prefer a supercharger to turbo, but that won't happen.

My bet is flat 8 somewhere down the line if we can avoid these stupid vacuum cleaners in the interest of fuel economy.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3