Sponsored by:

Rear Rocker Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM
rage2122
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Rocker Clear Bra

I've done a bunch of searching, read the threads etc. I'm getting ready to take delivery of my GT3 and had a question on the rear rockers area. For reference mine is white like almost everyone else

The factory piece looks yellow on the read rocker. I plan on doing the full front with XPEL but also was thinking of replacing the factory piece with XPEL. Anyone done anything like that? My installer showed me two others they are working on and said the factory film is another type and coupled with the adhesive they use gives a much more yellow sheen. Many of the installers I have spoken to also said that the factory bit is too small so folks end up replacing it with a larger piece as wel.

I asked about replacing with XPEL and he said they definitely could do it but I am curious about anyone elses results. I hate the idea of a partial line back there but the only other solution I see is a full wrap which I don't think I really need.

Anyone have experience or thoughts?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Suntek instead of XPEL, but it works well. My installer used one piece for rockers from door sill and under driver door and extending up to a height of top of rear wheel well to more than replace the stock stone shields. It tucks into the wheel well itself. The only line is that top edge. The interesting thing is that since that's a particularly curvaceous part of the body work, you hardly notice that line unless you are within inches of it because of how light naturally reflects off of that surface. No yellowing at all and far more coverage.

I will add though that if rocks are flung up against it hard enough, they can cut into / through the film still. Personal experience, unfortunately.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Xpel and did exactly what you are contemplating. Replaced with larger pieces. Looks great, and no yellow. Mine is white as well, and I hated the look of the stock ones. I recommend doing it.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a larger piece and extends over the rear wheel well lip.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Steve
I went Expel on the entire front end A-pillars, 4" above the windshield, 2" on the black area on the windshield around the edges. I removed the factory shark fin and ran a piece on the rocker panel that transitions into a new higher shark fin. This worked out great and looks good on my white car. I also did the lower rear fender where the tire kicks up rocks. I also did the rear wheel well openings and door edges.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I have the same as 0Q991 except mine is Xpel Ultimate with the addition of a 4" strip along the bottom of the door. The rear hip area coverage is far better than what the factory provides.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I have the same as 0Q991 except mine is Xpel Ultimate with the addition of a 4" strip along the bottom of the door. The rear hip area coverage is far better than what the factory provides.
Is this an area of concern? With the 991S I had, there was a lot of stuff hitting the rocker panel, but nothing ever hit the door. Just wondering if the GT3 is different (Xpel install scheduled for 3 weeks from now)
Old 02-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

My installer also added a piece along the rocker. However, he did not add it to the textured paint on the very bottom. I'm not sure that I need the piece along the door but it won't hurt as long as It doesn't start to show a wax line. A little care on my part and that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:32 PM
KMKCMT
Rennlist Member

Picture to help visualize??
Old 02-26-2015, 02:38 PM
carrera1974
AutoX

I had the front done in Xpel and, like 0Q991, had the rocker area and the area in front of the rear wheel opening done in Suntek. My installer said the Suntek is slightly thicker and would be a little more durable in this area...and it was done as one continuous piece. You would never know it is there unless you were within a few feet and looking for it. That area in front of the rear wheels takes a beating and the factory piece will only protect the heart of the debris impact area.

This is the first car that I've had film installed on and it is definitely saving the paint. I have about 3,500 miles on it and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:00 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

I failed to mention why I did the edge of the windshield. Our windshields are installed by a robot and no longer have a trim piece that covers the edge of the glass. It only take one small pebble to hit the edge and your glass is gone, I have replaced two windshields so far, 1 on my Boxster and 1 on the GTS both hit on the edge.
On the GT3 I am surprised how far up the hips I see road rash and am so glad I put on larger shark fins. I used Expel Ultimate and it is a thinner material, but when it looks bad on the lower rocker and hips I will just replace it.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do the front and rear quarter panel as I hatted the seem. At least do rocker and replace standard rock guard. Stock piece is too small for this car.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

rage2122
Congrats soon to you w/new 3, you are on the right protection path

I went with suntek at the recommendation of my shop whose specialty (Trakcar 's suggestion)
is the PP business , suntek on white car like mine the way to go
to your question: did the full rocker between the wheels from the top of lower black quarter piece
ending in door jam rolling up the aft side of door jam 24 1/2 "( from top black trim piece )
that's at the flattening radius of rear fender .replaces the oem piece
the only time one can easily see the seam is when the car is dirty and one wipes that edge with your finger and dirt is highlighted in the ridge of that edge
I highly recommend you consider windscreen protection
on my 997.2 replaced it twice at $1100 a pop
clearplex is one product I went with Graffiti film installed under $200
after 11 track days and now 6600 miles due to renew it ,
Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

suntek makes a better looking film. it maintains the true color of the car better.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
I have Suntek instead of XPEL, but it works well. My installer used one piece for rockers from door sill and under driver door and extending up to a height of top of rear wheel well to more than replace the stock stone shields. It tucks into the wheel well itself. The only line is that top edge. The interesting thing is that since that's a particularly curvaceous part of the body work, you hardly notice that line unless you are within inches of it because of how light naturally reflects off of that surface. No yellowing at all and far more coverage.

I will add though that if rocks are flung up against it hard enough, they can cut into / through the film still. Personal experience, unfortunately.
suntek better yes
xpel was yesterday

Originally Posted by rage2122
I've done a bunch of searching, read the threads etc. I'm getting ready to take delivery of my GT3 and had a question on the rear rockers area. For reference mine is white like almost everyone else

The factory piece looks yellow on the read rocker. I plan on doing the full front with XPEL but also was thinking of replacing the factory piece with XPEL. Anyone done anything like that? My installer showed me two others they are working on and said the factory film is another type and coupled with the adhesive they use gives a much more yellow sheen. Many of the installers I have spoken to also said that the factory bit is too small so folks end up replacing it with a larger piece as wel.

I asked about replacing with XPEL and he said they definitely could do it but I am curious about anyone elses results. I hate the idea of a partial line back there but the only other solution I see is a full wrap which I don't think I really need.

Anyone have experience or thoughts?
sound like this is your first clr film? you installer doesn't sound very familiar with p cars. there's only one way to do qtr panel. remove oem and go from to to qtr and up the arch.

Quick Reply: Rear Rocker Clear Bra