Sponsored by:

Another 21" Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
Agreed, for just a nimble agile car like the GT3, I would prefer no larger than 20", 19" if possible
Yet, Porsche feels the RS should have a 21 inch wheel. I wonder why? Can't be all looks.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

I sure like the look but would be terrified to drive down the street.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:55 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

That 21" setup looks fantastic.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Yet, Porsche feels the RS should have a 21 inch wheel. I wonder why? Can't be all looks.
Make the new RS look less gigantic than it really is.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Make the new RS look less gigantic than it really is.
Won't the rear tire on the RS have a thicker profile?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Just as tire contact patch width largely determines lateral grip, tire contact patch length impacts longitudinal grip. To increase length you make the OD larger: dragsters have tall tires for a reason. However tall sidewalls like a dragster reduce a tire's response rate, impacting handling. Thus if you want to have more longitudinal grip without sacrificing response you need a bigger wheel. Of course you need more power to push it: you wouldn't put a Veryron's wheels on a go-kart or vice-versa.

Thus there are solid engineering reasons wheel diameter is growing as power grows from OEMs, and it's worthwhile both developing the tires and re-tuning the car's suspension for them in some cases. Race car wheels are stuck at 18 (or smaller) mainly because of rules designed to limit costs.

In most aftermarket cases, on the other hand, it's all about looks. The larger OD here is going to either raise the car's CG or throw the kinematics slightly, while the only rubber Tire Rack has listed in these sizes are PZeros. Both of these will be a step backwards from OEM for the car's designed purpose.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:53 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Just as tire contact patch width largely determines lateral grip, tire contact patch length impacts longitudinal grip. To increase length you make the OD larger: dragsters have tall tires for a reason. However tall sidewalls like a dragster reduce a tire's response rate, impacting handling. Thus if you want to have more longitudinal grip without sacrificing response you need a bigger wheel. Of course you need more power to push it: you wouldn't put a Veryron's wheels on a go-kart or vice-versa.

Thus there are solid engineering reasons wheel diameter is growing as power grows from OEMs, and it's worthwhile both developing the tires and re-tuning the car's suspension for them in some cases. Race car wheels are stuck at 18 (or smaller) mainly because of rules designed to limit costs.

In most aftermarket cases, on the other hand, it's all about looks. The larger OD here is going to either raise the car's CG or throw the kinematics slightly, while the only rubber Tire Rack has listed in these sizes are PZeros. Both of these will be a step backwards from OEM for the car's designed purpose.
Thanks for the detail explanation.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, thanks for your posts - people learn a lot from your experience and your way of communicating.
It's been asked a few times on this forum but I've never been satisfied that I know if an MPSC 325 x 20 inch tire would work without big problems on the 991GT3. I understand it will slightly upset the grip balance between front and rear, but if you don't track your car is it really going to screw things up (will it clear rear suspension; will the rolling diameter which will be about a 1/2 inch greater throw off ABS or negatively impact rear wheel steering, or throw off speedo, tach, etc.???).
Thanks Pete and sorry for the compound question!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruno Giacomelli
It's been asked a few times on this forum but I've never been satisfied that I know if an MPSC 325 x 20 inch tire would work without big problems on the 991GT3. I understand it will slightly upset the grip balance between front and rear, but if you don't track your car is it really going to screw things up (will it clear rear suspension; will the rolling diameter which will be about a 1/2 inch greater throw off ABS or negatively impact rear wheel steering, or throw off speedo, tach, etc.???).
Thanks Pete and sorry for the compound question!
I wouldn't personally put the 325/30 20s on my car, particularly without changing the fronts as well, because I believe it will negatively impact performance in most areas.

There might be some exceptions with a competition car- the increased footprint with a matching front could increase grip, if balanced correctly, more than it hurts performance with worse feel, ride height, etc. But it'd take time to dial in and it's not clear you'd be ahead in the end. For the street there are simply too many drawbacks:

The rolling diameter difference you mentioned will hurt braking distances and potentially acceleration. The ABS expect the rear wheels to be turning 1.5% slower than the front- more than this and it believes the rear wheels are nearing lockup. The taller OD means the rear as turning 3% slower, so the ABS will kick in sooner and prevent the rear tires from sharing the full braking load, generally resulting in subtly but measurably longer stops. Under throttle you'll see the opposite- the traction control will let the rear tires slip more before it decides to pull the plug.

Moving to the handing balance, the car will tilt towards understeer. You'll also change the roll center heights fractionally even if you did both front and rear, contributing to a small handling balance change. Finally the taller sidewall on the narrower rim will be a little floppier, resulting in the rear not following the front quite as faithfully and overshooting slightly, etc. Thus it will probably feel less precise if you're sensitive.

All of these effects are subtle, but each results in the car not working quite as the designers intended. In this case the designers are very good, so they will have gotten things close to ideal in the first place. GT3 customers were lucky enough to get a tire and a car designed together, which has many advantages. As time goes on better tires will become available, but initially you'll be hard pressed to find anything that improves one area without sacrificing others. If I was looking for more grip I'd probably try the Trofeos (which sacrifice wear and perhaps noise/ feeling) instead of trying to change sizes. A lot goes into matching the car to the tire, and it's easy to screw it up.

Last edited by Petevb; 02-27-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:16 AM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

I wouldn't personally put the 325/30 20s on my car, particularly without changing the fronts as well, because I believe it will negatively impact performance in most areas.

There might be some exceptions with a competition car- the increased footprint with a matching front could increase grip, if balanced correctly, more than it hurts performance with worse feel, ride height, etc. But it'd take time to dial in and it's not clear you'd be ahead in the end. For the street there are simply too many drawbacks:

The rolling diameter difference you mentioned will hurt braking distances and potentially acceleration. The ABS expect the rear wheels to be turning 1.5% slower than the front- more than this and it believes the rear wheels are nearing lockup. The taller OD means the rear as turning 3% slower, so the ABS will kick in sooner and prevent the rear tires from sharing the full braking load, generally resulting in subtly but measurably longer stops. Under throttle you'll see the opposite- the traction control will let the rear tires slip more before it decides to pull the plug.

Moving to the handing balance, the car will tilt towards understeer. You'll also change the roll center heights fractionally even if you did both front and rear, contributing to a small handling balance change. Finally the taller sidewall on the narrower rim will be a little floppier, resulting in the rear not following the front quite as faithfully and overshooting slightly, etc. Thus it will probably feel less precise if you're sensitive.

All of these effects are subtle, but each results in the car not working quite as the designers intended. In this case the designers are very good, so they will have gotten things close to ideal in the first place. GT3 customers were lucky enough to get a tire and a car designed together, which has many advantages. As time goes on better tires will become available, but initially you'll be hard pressed to find anything that improves one are without sacrificing others. If I was looking for more grip I'd probably try the Trofeos (which sacrifice wear and perhaps noise/ feeling) instead of trying to change sizes. A lot goes into matching the car to the tire, and it's easy to screw it up.
Clear and concise as always Pete - your explanation makes sense. As you say, it's not one big impact but a number of small ones that might create some unintended consequences. For the sake of a little more meat in the rear, I'd never want to sacrifice the feel and balance of this car which is something very special out of the box. Thanks for talking me out of the tree!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:20 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely fit the car well! Just too big for my taste 😉
Old 02-27-2015, 08:15 AM
RDH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stunning.......!
Old 02-27-2015, 01:51 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RDH
Stunning.......!
Thank you!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

From the standpoint of aesthetics these look awesome. I love that they fill the wheel wells.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
94redklzese
Instructor

Totally in love with these

Quick Reply: Another 21" Setup