Sponsored by:

Radar & laser Jammers and Wide angle Backup Camera iinsatalled

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Thanks Mike and it is not any trouble at all. It will be my pleasure in to assist.

The NAV TV kit installed in my 911 4S required the PCM to be opened to install the harness which of course voids the warranty because my PCM software version is 3.4 and they don't have any plug and play harness for anything lower than version 4.5. However the one installed in my GT3 was plug and play and did not require any opening or tampering with the PCM. In both cases I have not lost any functions in PCM what so ever and of course no warranty issues for the GT3. The PCM Screen displays the rear view camera anytime you go into reverse no matter what PCM screen you are on, then switches back to previous display as soon as you are out of reverse, without any issues to the PCM. In addition I can press the defroster switch twice and force the PCM to display an additional video source of my choosing at anytime which by the way they included access to it through RCA cable in my glovebox. They also added another botton in spare blanks in my center console below the lift botton to allow me to activate the rear camera at anytime like when I am driving to use as a rear view cam.

As for the specific parts, I will list them all out for you on Monday as I am traveling this weekend and I don't have access to the paperwork I got from the installer which details all the parts and is in my home. However on Monday and upon my return, I will look it up and will list for you all the part numbers. In addition he was able to download a DYI from one of the forums that he used to do the install. I have a copy of it, so I will also include it in case you need to do the work yourself. So I will be back to you on Monday with these details.
Finally the cost to do all this work including all the labor and parts was $1350 for each car. I think the parts alone run you around $1000, so he charged roughly $350 for the installation including making a custom camera enclosure/housing for the the Alpine camera because this particular camera which has a super wide angle (190 degree) came with square enclosure that would have have not looked stock, so he made a custom enclosure that looks like the stock 2015 Porsche back up camera. There are several very good backup cameras available that look like the stock factory Porsche camera, or you can even purchase the stock factory camera, but none of them have the super wide angle I was looking for so I can use it as both a backup camera and also as rear view cam while driving. So the $350 installation fee included making a custom enclosure for this Alpin camera. Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions. Mark
Mark that is super helpful and I really appreciate it. I'll look forward to the other info when you have a chance. No rush....

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I DIY'd the install, it took a couple of hours.

Really the hardest part is getting the cable through the firewall but its just a matter of patience while working in a tight spot.

I can help anyone that needs it, and I can probably even pop some parts off and take photos if it helps. There is a pretty good set of instructions on 6speed that I used, but he doesn't explain the pulsing to program the unit very well.
Thanks bigkraig. If I decide to go the DIY route I may ask your advice.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:28 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I DIY'd the install, it took a couple of hours.

Really the hardest part is getting the cable through the firewall but its just a matter of patience while working in a tight spot.

I can help anyone that needs it, and I can probably even pop some parts off and take photos if it helps. There is a pretty good set of instructions on 6speed that I used, but he doesn't explain the pulsing to program the unit very well.
It is a small world. I am pretty sure my installer downloaded the same instructions from 6speed. Pretty good instructions but as you mentioned it does not talk much about the programming. Mark
Old 02-15-2015, 04:32 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverrules
Sweet. Thanks for taking time to post the video. They did a clean job Mark. I sure could use both the backup camera and the jammer.
Thanks Kamal and you are very welcome. I highly recommend you do both.

Originally Posted by Jpacione
Very nice!
Thank you

Originally Posted by A.A.B
That's cool! Nicely done.
Thank you

Originally Posted by meaker
Nice set up
Thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 04:41 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

There is a group buy on Rennlist from Bob @ Nav-TV, its around ~850 for the parts.
That's actually pretty good price. The Alpine HCE-C155 is little more money (I think $100 more) than the one NAV-TV recommends, but still at this price you are getting a great deal. I highly recommend going with NAV-TV harness, as so far so good and no complaints. Mark
Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
That's an amazing install price. Thanks for the details! So is this just a newer revision of the NAV-TV?
Indeed the price is pretty good and you are very welcome. Yes the one installed on the GT3 is the newer version of NAV-TV. Actually I heard it is an older version, but was used only on Panamera and recently it was certified for the use on 2014 911, so from that prospective it is considered a new offering for 911.

Do you live in Seattle? If you ever down my way please let me know, we can get together. If you are also interested in Musicar doing the install for you, please let me know, I will be glad to assist in anyway I can. Mark
Old 02-16-2015, 09:21 AM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

anyone know of a reputable installer on the east coast that does the same level of work? Jon in Delaware
Old 02-26-2015, 01:13 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Mark that is super helpful and I really appreciate it. I'll look forward to the other info when you have a chance. No rush....

Thanks bigkraig. If I decide to go the DIY route I may ask your advice.
Hi Mike
I uploaded pictures of all the manuals for the various parts used for the camera and radar. Please look up the same link and you will see the added pictures. I also sent you a PM with more info. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance. Mark
Old 02-26-2015, 02:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi Mike
I uploaded pictures of all the manuals for the various parts used for the camera and radar. Please look up the same link and you will see the added pictures. I also sent you a PM with more info. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance. Mark
Thanks, Mark. PM received.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 PM
super90ish
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a group buy on Rennlist from Bob @ Nav-TV, its around ~850 for the parts.
I would like to get in on the group buy but I am not sure how. Would someone please help me with that?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2015, 08:23 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

You should have done the AL Priority laser jammers with the bell unit. They are the best available for laser jamming every gun made to date. Lots of information out there documenting this. I just did this to my 2015 turbo s and would do for a gt3 if I drove it on the street. If Im lucky enough to get the RS I'll skip it as it will be track only.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RCorsa
You should have done the AL Priority laser jammers with the bell unit. They are the best available for laser jamming every gun made to date. Lots of information out there documenting this. I just did this to my 2015 turbo s and would do for a gt3 if I drove it on the street. If Im lucky enough to get the RS I'll skip it as it will be track only.
I was going to initally go with Al Priority due to their superior performance, but after long research discovered their main advantage against the shifter pro was mainly due to their ability to jam the DragonEye guns where none of the others can. However in the Northwest area where I live non of the law enforcement carries these guns and there are no near future plans to ever use them, so they don't pose a real threat to us at least for the next 5 yrs, so I opted to go with the latest laser shifter pro because of its ultra compact size and they integrate so well and out of the box with the Bell unit. Mark
Old 02-26-2015, 11:17 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I was going to initally go with Al Priority due to their superior performance, but after long research discovered their main advantage against the shifter pro was mainly due to their ability to jam the DragonEye guns where none of the others can. However in the Northwest area where I live non of the law enforcement carries these guns and there are no near future plans to ever use them, so they don't pose a real threat to us at least for the next 5 yrs, so I opted to go with the latest laser shifter pro because of its ultra compact size and they integrate so well and out of the box with the Bell unit. Mark
You're referring to the new LaseShifters that are rebranded LaserInterceptor units, correct?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:28 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, Mark. PM received.
Let us know if u find a good installer in the Bay Area. Most quotes I've received are petty high.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 997xpress
Let us know if u find a good installer in the Bay Area. Most quotes I've received are petty high.
I'm interested as well.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:37 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

I'm in Seattle and many of police departments are actually budgeting to get the new guns this year or next. My brother in law is a captain for seattle PD. The bell units are rebranded laser interceptor units. Here's a review.

http://radarandlaserforum.com/conten...-Head-Shootout

Here are some photos of the install.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=154957

Quick Reply: Radar & laser Jammers and Wide angle Backup Camera iinsatalled