Sponsored by:

Track App?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
makes the Track Apps seem like the daylight robbery it is.
You can say that again.
SmartyCAM with solo really is the only good option out there right now that makes data analysis and video overlay very simple, easy, and good looking. It's good to see that they have made improvements with 2.0.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:06 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

For the guys that have an Aim utilizing a Mac, what program are you using to overaly? Seems most of the programs are PC based. Or, are you running Windows on your Mac?

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skxf430
For the guys that have an Aim utilizing a Mac, what program are you using to overaly? Seems most of the programs are PC based. Or, are you running Windows on your Mac? Thanks for any info.
I believe race render is the only one that has native Mac software
Old 02-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

For the guys that have an Aim utilizing a Mac, what program are you using to overaly? Seems most of the programs are PC based. Or, are you running Windows on your Mac?

Thanks for any info.
Race render. It works fine, its quite a few steps. You can save templates for most of this. UI is not super intuitive, but it is quite powerful.

high level steps:
1. export data from the AIM in CSV format
2. Open race render, select the video and CSV file, choose right layout
3. Map CSV to data elements
4. Drop in overlay elements
5. Setup timing/ sync video and data
6. Render video
Old 02-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

My girlfriend just got me the AIM solo, not the DL version for my birthday yesterday. Am I good with this one, or should I upgrade to the DL version? The DL version brings in what extra useful data for owners of this system? Is it worth the upgrade would you say?

Lastly, I have the latest hd go pro black, is the smarty cam HD going to be a better set up than my go pro with my solo?

Apologies for the naive questions, new to many of these track gadgets. All I've used when tracking is my go pro and external mic.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
My girlfriend just got me the AIM solo, not the DL version for my birthday yesterday. Am I good with this one, or should I upgrade to the DL version? The DL version brings in what extra useful data for owners of this system? Is it worth the upgrade would you say?

Lastly, I have the latest hd go pro black, is the smarty cam HD going to be a better set up than my go pro with my solo?

Apologies for the naive questions, new to many of these track gadgets. All I've used when tracking is my go pro and external mic.
The DL version allows for car telemetry to be collected alongside timing information. Mainly: RPM, gear, oil/water temps, brake pressure, and 20 or so other metrics.

Also I don't believe the non-DL version can connect to the smartycam
Old 02-03-2015, 03:51 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Spyerx,

Although Race Render is compatible with Mac, I think I still need to run Windows in order to download the CSV file from the Aim Solo DL?

Thanks,
Old 02-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Hey Spyerx,

Although Race Render is compatible with Mac, I think I still need to run Windows in order to download the CSV file from the Aim Solo DL?

Thanks,
yes you do. I'm ambidextrous with OS... so basically I use a mac 100% of the time. I use VMware fusion to run windows on it. I have windows 7 installed in a VM on the mac, and I use all the AIM programs there. This works fine and allows you to export the files. Then, I use the mac to do the video work, etc. I could use the windows version of Race Render and run in windows, I just choose to run it on the mac. Race Render supports both platforms.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The DL version allows for car telemetry to be collected alongside timing information. Mainly: RPM, gear, oil/water temps, brake pressure, and 20 or so other metrics.

Also I don't believe the non-DL version can connect to the smartycam
Thank you, good to know. I probably would continue to use my hero+black go pro, so not a big issue there. The RPM and brake pressure could be kind of cool, not sure I care too much about the others. Hmm, to keep the non DL version or trade up to the DL.

Is the DL difficult to instal?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Thank you, good to know. I probably would continue to use my hero+black go pro, so not a big issue there. The RPM and brake pressure could be kind of cool, not sure I care too much about the others. Hmm, to keep the non DL version or trade up to the DL.

Is the DL difficult to instal?
Both are great learning tools. If you're not a very analytical person, or working with a coach who is - stick with the standard Solo. You can get the majority of what you need from it for improving. Gopro work great for video.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thank you, good to know. I probably would continue to use my hero+black go pro, so not a big issue there. The RPM and brake pressure could be kind of cool, not sure I care too much about the others. Hmm, to keep the non DL version or trade up to the DL. Is the DL difficult to instal?
DL install just involves connecting to the obd2 port with a cable. That's it. It can't get any easier.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:22 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
DL install just involves connecting to the obd2 port with a cable. That's it. It can't get any easier.
True, but you get brake channel if you hardwire to can bus and get some other channels. Plus you get automatic on/off for solo dl and connected smartycam that is kinda priceless as you no longer worry to push any buttons, it records automatically.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utkinpol
True, but you get brake channel if you hardwire to can bus and get some other channels. Plus you get automatic on/off for solo dl and connected smartycam that is kinda priceless as you no longer worry to push any buttons, it records automatically.
Actually, with the GT3, you can get the same channels through OBD2 as you get through CAN minus some useless channels. Through obd2 you can get brake pressure, steering angle, throttle, rpm, individual wheel speed, coolant temp. The only difference is that CAN logs at 50hz, and OBD2 is only 10Hz

Both obd2 and CAN do not get you oil pressure or temp on the 991 GT3
Old 02-07-2015, 11:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

deleted. wrong thread. sorry
Old 02-08-2015, 12:08 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues. What a PITA. I am so glad I skipped this option.

Quick Reply: Track App?