Sponsored by:

Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I did nose, full hood, full fenders, rockers with spats in one piece and area behind rear wheels. The installer is key. I've seen some pretty crappy jobs with the same film.
I am having the same done (Above) to my car on Monday. No lights though because of delam issue. The only reason I am doing the fullhood and fenders is because the car is white. I don't like how the white color looks so different with the film. My other non white cars are only half nose.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:34 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Suntek or Xpel

Full front of car.

Norm at Invisibra.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not getting a wrap. I've talked to several top detailers and each has told me that there will be at least a small amount of yellowing on a white car with wrap--and that includes Xpel. We all have different priorities, but that is important to me. While a warranty against it is nice, I have no desire to spend my free time in arguments with a manufacturer as to how much real world yellowing constitutes "yellowing" within the terms of their warranty.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:18 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Not getting a wrap. I've talked to several top detailers and each has told me that there will be at least a small amount of yellowing on a white car with wrap--and that includes Xpel. We all have different priorities, but that is important to me. While a warranty against it is nice, I have no desire to spend my free time in arguments with a manufacturer as to how much real world yellowing constitutes "yellowing" within the terms of their warranty.
yep. a real concern for me. as is removal of headlights, etc. to do the work.

leaning towards just the lower bumper, mirrors and areas behind rear wheels

all very helpful info, thanks
Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ you either dont wrap you u NEED full hood and fender.

oh, and whatever warranty it has, if you drive the car more than 3000 miles a year, in 2 year it WILL YELLOW. i dont care what the warranty says, IT WILL YELLOW every brand/model of film.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine will be RY so I guess I need not worry about yellowing. My plan is to do the front bumper/nose only, being I will more than likely not track this car.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

What are you guys paying to do the full front of the car (hood, fender, bumper) plus mirrors and a-pillars? My dealer is quoting around $3K using latest 3M film, which seems rather high to me. And anyone know anything about how good (or not) the 3M film is?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Looks like a stealer profit in the making. Max 1500.00 for full front.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
What are you guys paying to do the full front of the car (hood, fender, bumper) plus mirrors and a-pillars? My dealer is quoting around $3K using latest 3M film, which seems rather high to me. And anyone know anything about how good (or not) the 3M film is?
Yep about 100% mark-up in that. Find the shop that's doing it for them and go direct and pay $1200-$1500
Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the price is highly dependent on how customized the installation is - there are precut pieces, there's hand-cutting as close to surface edges as possible, and then there's full pull-apart / full wrap around - this is where your headlights, bumper, sidemarkers, fog lights / lower light cluster, trunk liner, literally everything is coming off to wrap around and underneath to minimize visible edges. I suggest you take a look at the work Moe from Glistening Perfection has posted to understand the difference between $1500 and $3000 for a full front or $3000 and $8000 for a whole car. Until you have determined how **** you want to be about visible edges, it is literally impossible to discuss pricing. I suggest you go take a look at various installers' work before making any final decisions. In my mind the decision making is less about how much coverage, but rather it's entirely about which installer to go with. I chose full front bc I'm **** about seeing edges which makes rockers, rear fenders, a-pillars particularly challenging and I don't mind the odd paint chip here and there. Where are you?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Very experienced installer in ATL is charging $1600-$1800 for full hood, full fenders, front bumper, rockers w/quarter panel factory Shark Fin replaced. (New rocker piece extends to quarter without break). Behind wheels, A pillars and leading edge of roof. Pieces are wrapped where needed.

Detailing Dynamics in NY charges about 35-40% more than that, but they remove almost everything and wrap all edges. They spend more time, so the price can be justified. Their work is beautiful.

Just be sure to shop for the installer not the price.

I would suggest getting rid of the factory 1/4 Shark Fin. It's too small and yellows quickly anyway.

I'm told, Xpel is about 1 mil thicker and works better on lighter cars, white, etc. Suntek is preferred for darker colors. I have no experience with the new 3M, only the old stuff.

I got almost 4 years on my previous white GT3 before I could see evidence of yellowing. Even then, it was minimal. So what if it needs to be replaced every 4 years. It is worth it.

The seams on Xpel or most of the newer films, i.e. partial roof are so minimal, I feel there is definitive value there. I've seen roof line chips and they look awful, imo.

I would never not wrap. It's not if, it's when you'll get chips, even if not tracking and trying to be careful. It takes the worry away.

My 1 ct.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was quoted 1500 for full front xpel (full front means lower bumper, hood, front fenders).

My last GT3 didn't have a single rock chip. Maybe just lucky. Mootys advice goes a long way with me. But in looking at the font of car, why not just do lower bumper? Its closest to the ground, and even if it did yellow slightly over the years, probably less noticeable than if the hood, fenders, etc. done.

Very on the fence. Reason I posted this.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I was quoted 1500 for full front xpel (full front means lower bumper, hood, front fenders).

My last GT3 didn't have a single rock chip. Maybe just lucky. Mootys advice goes a long way with me. But in looking at the font of car, why not just do lower bumper? Its closest to the ground, and even if it did yellow slightly over the years, probably less noticeable than if the hood, fenders, etc. done.

Mooty tracks his car, so yes it's necessary in that case. Many will argue it's ness in any case. I too live in Austin and will only have done what you outlined when mine arrives this week. You can always add more later if you see an issue.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:47 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan

Man, I thought I knew what I was going to be doing on Monday but I am starting to be on the fence myself. I have a track car so I am not likely to take the GT3 out (yeah right). I like the idea of just the front bumper but up here in seattle we get some crazy stuff getting kicked up of the roads. So I think I am still committed to do the whole nose. After spending 160K for a car, I fugure if it yellows, I can have it pulled off and the car will still look great in a few years and decide then again whether to wrap the whole nose. In addition, my wife ha 3M film (not XPEL) on the nose of white R-Class for three years now and it still looks great. Maybe because its always in the garage and there is little sun in Seattle. So my guess is if the car is mostly in the garage, it will be fine. I think the sun is what yellows the film. Now its worse for you in Austin but I am betting the car is garaged.
After writing this I am back to Full nose....I just convinced myself....I can't stand chips and I hate resprays....color never matches.

BTW, Jonathon, my folks live in Austin and all I can say is I do miss those great roads in Texas. THey truly are crap up here in Seattle area. I am jealous.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Red GTS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had half hood, front fenders,front bumper, mirrors and rear quarter panel up to the top done. first 200 miles had a rock chip in the lower hood film so to me
worth the money spent.

Quick Reply: Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched