Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Some of the Dubai boys have been piling on the track days in 40C on Yas Marina (fast track). We should ask them.
Breaking for dear life and is the track hard on brakes?
130-40
155-65
140-80

Plus a few more hard braking points...
Nothing in the US that I visited kills brakes like Sebring
Old 02-25-2015, 09:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

150-56 is the fastest to the slowest at our local track Hampton Downs. I think the Europeans win. If you have seen Spa, Hokinhiem there are some good ones there. Phil has done around 25 track days across Europe on everything from Monza to Spa and everything in between. Hes probably the best to ask. Hes on his 3rd set of discs by now. Ive been staying across racers in Europe, Australia, UK, USA, Canada (maybe 20-25 guys in total) and no one has a problem yet with brakes except Mark in Canada with those pistons. Maybe a one off maybe not. Im never going to get the track mileage on fast enough to be a trail blazer in this field and Peter you have been fence sitting for 15 months when you could have been beating up the 991 GT3 and about to trade it in in 6 months for your new 991 GT3RS ;-)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The new GT3 will be much harder on brakes; it goes faster, weighs more and it's easier to ram the pedal through the floor without having to heel n toe.

I plan to add as much cooling as possible NACA ductss through AWD space and ducts straight through the front bumper and once the caliper rubber seals burn off replace Pistons with Ti pistons. That or a proper caliper upgrade.
There's a reason why the Cups no longer run the street GT3 brakes. Too bad they don't offer them as an upgrade.

http://www.pfcbrakes.com/forums-blog...che-Motorsport
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yeah, love the PFC Brakes. If nothing else to get rid of the stupid fixed bridge calipers.
Anyone call PFC to ask for an upgrade kit? I met some PFC guys (run only PFC in Race relic and RSA) I should have asked

Not on the fence about GT3 Macca, not interested in GT3, when RS exists that's what I made a deposit for in 2012, like I did for my 2010 in early 2008, but yeah, still a little on the fence on that one..

Euro temps are not the same and they don't track as much I think.
Anyway the 997RS was on the limit and needed all the cooling it could get. I got the calipers discolored after day4, have some nice bronze caliper pics after 4 very hot days on track. The 991 GT3 were delivered too late in the year to really add a lot of track days in the heat anyway.
Sam in TX probably has the most, I wonder how many days he has on the car in 30c+ and how hard those tracks are. COTA must be hard?

The Florida 991 GT3 DE has only run cooler temps and are not THAT hard on the cars. Yet.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

150-56 is the fastest to the slowest at our local track Hampton Downs. I think the Europeans win. If you have seen Spa, Hokinhiem there are some good ones there. Phil has done around 25 track days across Europe on everything from Monza to Spa and everything in between. Hes probably the best to ask. Hes on his 3rd set of discs by now. Ive been staying across racers in Europe, Australia, UK, USA, Canada (maybe 20-25 guys in total) and no one has a problem yet with brakes except Mark in Canada with those pistons. Maybe a one off maybe not. Im never going to get the track mileage on fast enough to be a trail blazer in this field and Peter you have been fence sitting for 15 months when you could have been beating up the 991 GT3 and about to trade it in in 6 months for your new 991 GT3RS ;-)
Spa is pretty tough on brakes but Hockenheimring (the long GP track) is worse. With 991GT3 you go from peak 250 km/h down to 50 km/h (Parabolica ends in hairpin) which is 155 mls/h down to 31 mls/h

Peter
Old 02-26-2015, 02:44 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, so who's going to be the first person to install the RSR or Cup brakes?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Ok, so who's going to be the first person to install the RSR or Cup brakes?
Until I see a problem with the OEM brakes with the tracks out here in NorCal, they will stay. I predict they will be fine for my use.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:52 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi guys – sorry, I haven’t been around here much lately – but those are my pistons in the pic Macca posted.

I was running FVD steel lines, RBF600 fluid and Pagid RS29 pads. Porsche said they are wear parts, end of discussion (but it was escalated beyond the dealer, so they are aware of the issue). It is just the caps on the ends that are cracked (I didn’t have any fluid loss), but I’ll be replacing the pistons with the Racing Brake kit in a month or so when Toronto comes out of this deep-freeze: http://www.racingbrake.com/Save-10-o...p/bp-68bsp.htm

My shop discovered this (only on my front calipers) while doing front rotor replacement (after 11 or 12 trackdays, mainly on tracks that are very hard on brakes) but we don’t know how long they were like this. Hopefully this is an isolated case, but you guys should keep an eye on yours, just in case.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Peter. GT3 or RS its the same PDK dilemma right?

Europeans generally only track their cars in summer. From what I am told, tracks like Spa & HHR are as tough or tougher than anything else out there when it comes to suspension and brakes. There are two European guys I keep in touch with who have between them now completed over 50 track days in Europe on stock calipers and rotors. No issues at all once they settled on their preferred tyres and pads.

Mark. Sorry to steal your thunder brother. I thought this could be a problem Jo was experiencing with one side calliper getting hot than other and then the whole thing unfolded from there. I bought the FVD steel lines, did your guys have any problems with installing those (having mine done next months with Castrol SRF change etc)?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Sorry to steal your thunder brother. I thought this could be a problem Jo was experiencing with one side calliper getting hot than other and then the whole thing unfolded from there. I bought the FVD steel lines, did your guys have any problems with installing those (having mine done next months with Castrol SRF change etc)?
Ha – no problem – I meant to post about this issue but have been away a lot the last 2 months and haven’t been tracking the car so kind of forgot about it. The lines went in perfectly – great upgrade, big improvement in pedal feel. But maybe it is because of the increased pressure/heat of the upgraded lines/pads that pushed the OEM piston set-up beyond its limits? I did the exact same mods on my much heavier 997 Turbo so it shouldn't be a problem (unless they are using lesser materials in the new calipers).
Old 02-26-2015, 05:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
It is just the caps on the ends that are cracked (I didn’t have any fluid loss), but I’ll be replacing the pistons with the Racing Brake kit in a month or so when Toronto comes out of this deep-freeze:
Thanks for chiming in! So it's the ceramic pucks that cracked, not the pistons. I don't recall what kind of problems the 997 guys had, if any, with the ceramic pucks on their calipers other than the retaining clips coming apart? Does anyone know if just the pucks can be sourced? It was my understanding that you cannot source them?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks for chiming in! So it's the ceramic pucks that cracked, not the pistons. I don't recall what kind of problems the 997 guys had, if any, with the ceramic pucks on their calipers other than the retaining clips coming apart? Does anyone know if just the pucks can be sourced? It was my understanding that you cannot source them?
Yes, exactly - just the ceramic pucks. My shop said they haven’t seen this on a 997. They said they see the dust boots fall apart, but not the pucks. The pucks aren’t available to order through Porsche (or at least they weren’t in November when we discovered the problem).
Old 02-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Yes, exactly - just the ceramic pucks. My shop said they haven’t seen this on a 997. They said they see the dust boots fall apart, but not the pucks. The pucks aren’t available to order through Porsche (or at least they weren’t in November when we discovered the problem).
So the dust boots are just the black rubber and crumble like lesser cars with track use? That's disappointing. Porsche should warranty those of you use stock pads...
Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
So the dust boots are just the black rubber and crumble like lesser cars with track use? That's disappointing. Porsche should warranty those of you use stock pads...
I had this happen and my mechanic had me buy a brand new caliper. I'd love to hear if there is a source for the replacement parts. I updated my gear thread with the replacements from Racingbrake.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I had this happen and my mechanic had me buy a brand new caliper. I'd love to hear if there is a source for the replacement parts. I updated my gear thread with the replacements from Racingbrake.
I just replaced the dust boots on the Brembo calipers on my Audi a couple weeks ago. $150 for the full boot set, but they were aftermarket...

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal