991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts
Default Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Took delivery of my GT3 today. White, track seats, track app, red belts, NAV, free options, nothing else.

I plan to adhere to the break-in guidelines fairly closely, and took it for a 50-mile initial drive on a variety of roads this evening.

I wanted to post my initial impression while I still remember it. It's not actually my 'first impression', since I previously drove a borrowed car for about a half hour, but I was so cautious with that car that, in retrospect, I don't think it was a representative test of the car.

So now that I've had a chance to drive my own car, my initial impression is ... WOW! And that's coming from someone who's been very skeptical of the car since the beginning.

Some specifics:

- Steering wheel isn't as lively in the hands as the 997, but it's fine. And overall, the steering response is very telepathic, wired to my brain. Can't feel the RWS at all, it just works.

- The car communicates its weight transfer beautifully. Damping of the suspension in both modes is outstanding, and the ride quality is good enough even in the stiffer mode. In fact, I'd say it's even better than my Cayenne GTS.

- Leaving it in auto with sport mode off is a good way to keep the car under 4200 rpm. The power below 4200 rpm is better than I remember, should be enough to get through the break-in period without feeling tortured. I tried manual mode also, with both paddles and stick, and both are good. Upshifts with the paddle were sometimes surprisingly slow, as though something's not working right, but I'll give it more time. I like being able to toggle between auto and manual mode at will.

- The car is effing fast. Can't see how it's going to be much fun reasonably close to speed limits. Different story at 2x speed limits, but I have the track for that.

- Brake pedal feel is excellent. Bite is fairly strong, yet not difficult to modulate very precisely.

- The track seat fits me nicely, and range of height adjustment is large (electric for both seats). I can get a perfect seating position by putting the seat all the way down, and no issues with cutting off circulation in my legs. Lumbar support could be a bit more, but I think it's going to be fine, even on long drives. Lateral support could be better, with deeper bolsters, but these aren't full-blown track seats. Driver's seat has the hole for crotch belts, but passenger's seat doesn't (though the cushion does have a gap for the belts to pass through). WTF? I don't know what Porsche was thinking on this, and I'm annoyed that I need to find a workaround for seats that cost almost $5K.

- A little intermittent rattling in the dash area. Hopefully, it'll go away. Not worried about it, it'll get resolved.

- I'm not sure the car sounds right. Kind of 'truck-like' at idle. There are a bunch of 991 GT3's at my local cars & coffee, so I'll compare with one of those. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds when I can let 'er rip.

- Wing interferes with visibility, but I can deal with it.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the car, and pleased with my decision to buy it. Unless the GT4 is irresistible, I can see this GT3 being a keeper, so I'm not too concerned about depreciation.

I'll post further impressions after I've driven the car more, especially after break-in and tracking it. But for now, I'm a believer!

Last edited by Manifold; 01-15-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,741 Likes on 4,765 Posts

I think you've pretty much echoed my first impressions - from ride quality to low end torque to engine noise to rear visibility (although no problems with manual upshifts or rattles this far).

Congrats, and have been waiting for your initial impressions as an owner.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It was a long journey for you, Manifold. I'm glad the car is meeting your expectations so far and I look forward to hearing what you think about it as you become even more familiar with it. Congrats!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:34 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats Manifold and enjoy.
"that's coming from someone who's been very skeptical of the car since the beginning". Yep, I remember
Old 01-15-2015, 11:36 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you pulled the trigger and now are pleased with your decision , I hope this holds true for you as the miles roll on and prove your reservation ...., well, you will know in due time .
Congrats and Enjoy
Old 01-15-2015, 11:38 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Manifold ! You came into the light!
Bring it to C&C on Saturday!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:39 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait.....THIWWOP!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Well done Manifold!
I'll be the first to admit I thought you'll never get it as " skeptical " as you were. LOL! Good for you!
I'll be looking forward to more impressions as you get to drive it more!
Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:24 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
- I'm not sure the car sounds right. Kind of 'truck-like' at idle.
Thats exactly how mine feels.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats, man! That is bizarre that your passenger cushion has a pass through. I checked my car quickly yesterday at the dealer and there was no pass through on the passenger cushion. I wonder why there is a variance? I'll triple check when I pick up the car tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:35 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Congrats, man! That is bizarre that your passenger cushion has a pass through. I checked my car quickly yesterday at the dealer and there was no pass through on the passenger cushion. I wonder why there is a variance? I'll triple check when I pick up the car tomorrow.
Seems like some things are on the fly, like the difference between the '14 and '15 wheel well radiator screens recently discovered.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I hope my pass cushion has a cut out. One less thing to worry about. Dealing with that is more challenging than cutting out a hole in the seat pan cosmetically speaking.

Congrats Manifold. Let see some pix soon...
Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What can I say. Glad you are enjoying it. I think it will only get more fun on track and once you can open her up....
Old 01-16-2015, 06:03 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Yep - I remember that posting and you took a lot of sh.t for it. Glad you are enjoying her and it only gets better above 6000 rpm
Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the car. Few observations I can tell you about the car as you put more miles into it.

The rattling near the gear leaver heard sometimes at idle will go away with more miles.

The gear box manual mode some times upshifts are slightly slow when cold and below a certain rpm (i think 3k)

Manual mode with pdk sports is much quicker,in the upper rpm range upshifts are so aggressive it feels like dumping the clutch with wot in a manual car. Infact shifting from 1-2 at 9k rpm esc off the rear tyres let go for a moment.

With more mileage the exhaust creates a nice pop sound everytime when upshifting from 4k rpm upwards.

oh and did you feel the front end on this car is dialed in so much better than previous gt3?
even though the car initially feels quite big compared to the prev gt3.

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)