991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Manifold. Most of what you have observed I agree with. I don't believe you will get the full measure of the car until you can use all he revs available. I have found tight twisty roads the best for extracting the most from the chassis without (much) breaking the speed limit. On suc roads the car feels much smaller than I imagined. My wife will not ride shotgun on fast back road drives in the GT3 any longer because she has trouble with the acceleration between corners - its simply too much and as she says feels surreal like hyperjump to warp speed. Have to say even as driver Im often confounded by the sound/urgency and shove of the car whilst banging through he gears...
Originally Posted by NateOZ
I agree - while I'm only really pushing to around 7k rpm at the moment, the car feels great on twisty back rounds. Fortunately, there are a lot of twisties around here that are 55mph, with only warnings on corners. In the GT3, you can really enjoy them without having to be at 2x the speed limit.

My wife won't come for those drives with me anymore either. She threw up the last time we were out on them...

I've been thinking of buying a GTS, went at looked at one yesterday. The car looks great, but frankly I think I'll find the steering feel, extra weight and braking performance a disappointment vs the GT3. I've not driven the GTS, but have driven the C2S and TTS - was told there isn't too much in difference between the three. I'm also a huge fan of the LWBs for street driving and don't want to go back to sofas.
See, this is why you guys need to get your wives to drive on the track. Like me, my wife was somewhat uncomfortable with the risks associated with blind turns, cyclists, driveways, deer, fixed objects in runoff areas, etc., but fine with the speed and g-forces (we push much harder on the track). Otherwise, the driving experience on tight twisty roads has been a joy, and I very much look forward to being able to dial up the revs. Even without that, the car is already devouring roads.

I'd like to test drive a GTS back to back with my GT3, just to satisfy my curiosity. But for me, with my track emphasis, the GT3 is clearly the best choice.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Thx for the write up. All thing a being equal, would you rather have this or a same mile .2 RS right now?
Before the 991 GT3 specifics were announced, I was hoping that it would basically take the beloved aspects of the 997.2 GT3 (engine, 6-sp manual gearbox, steering feel, upgraded suspension, etc.) and transplant them into the 991 chassis. Porsche clearly went a different direction with the 991 GT3, so I was skeptical and disappointed. So I waited for more info to come out about the car, then journalist reviews, then owner reviews of the car, then owner reviews on track. Aside from minor issues here and there (like engine fires, lol), it was universally glowing praise.

I thought long and hard about whether to get a 7.2 GT3 or RS, or get the 991 GT3. I went with the 991 GT3 because:

- Brand new with warranty, including track warranty.

- Plenty fast, even faster than the RS 4.0.

- Reasonable value, as compared to the 7.2 possibly being in a bubble.

- Having compared the 991 base and S with the 997 base and S, it was very clear that the 991 chassis is engineered for higher performance, including more neutral balance, which is an asset on the track.

- 991 looks better than the 997.

- Having done a lot of track days with manual cars, I've pretty much gotten that out of my system, and am ready for PDK. And it's not strictly either/or, we'll very likely still keep one or both of our manual Porsches for road use and some track use.

- 'Latest and greatest' from Porsche, and I've come to trust their judgment when it comes to designing and building cars (hence my having four Porsches at the moment).

- With everyone praising the 991 GT3 so much, how could I be among the tiny minority of owners who don't like/love it? Seemed very unlikely.

Although I have a lot more driving to do with this car, including getting past the break-in and getting it on track, so far I'm feeling very convinced that I made the right choice in getting the 991 GT3.

I view it as not being an improved version of the previous car - which had a great and legendary run - but rather a whole new car, reflecting all the formidable expertise Porsche can muster. It gives up some of the manly rawness of the 7.2, but it gains a lot in exchange, in many areas, and the package is seamlessly and beautifully integrated to provide a driving experience which is both objectively fast and subjectively sublime.

We'll see how my feelings change as I drive the car more, but so far it looks like AP and the devout were right all along, and the skeptics were wrong. Believe the hype!
Old 01-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Manifold. I have found I've loved it even more the longer I've had it (14 months now!) in part due to its great versatility and it's still the car I grab the keys too more often than any other by a factor of three - it shows in the mileage!

My wife is still ok navigating in the 993. Here she is during our most famous road race - the Targa NZ ( probably one of the most extreme of such events left now). I do need to get her out on track in the Gt3 as you say. Shell never drive it on the track though unfortunately. With Sharkwerks to 9000 and the rapid kick in the back the gt3 musters on acceleration it's just a bit too much for her I think. The best roads for driving I have found have 30-40 miles of corners marked 20-30 mph - you can take these up to 2-3x the speed without breaking the law and the chassis is really working hard. Just finished 4 days where we got up 6am and drive 100 miles of such roads with a few driving fiends every morning before traffic and the car was absolutely dialed in and working hard...
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'll say what others have already said many times. You can't judge this car by looking at the specs, reading about it, watching reviews, using your imagination, and anything else secondhand. You have to drive it.

The way the car has been designed holistically creates a spectrum of enjoyable experiences which is difficult or impossible to explain, so I resort to words like connection, immediacy, intuitiveness, predictability, performance, etc., but they don't do it justice. It's analogous to going to a top-end restaurant and saying "wow, I didn't realize food could be this good!"

I hope the elation I'm feeling with this car lasts, because I don't want this feeling to go away!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

I really enjoy reading about your experience with the 991 GT3.

I've had big time difficulties trying to figure out if I will enjoy the PDK-S or not.
A month ago I decided to jump on the 991 GT RS train. I thought that I always can sell the RS if I find it lesser fun to drive.

When I read your posts it looks like I will not need to sell the RS :-) (If I get one that is)

Last edited by Kobalt; 01-20-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Manifold, you and I are 'in sync' on everything.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:18 PM
roundel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
- Having done a lot of track days with manual cars, I've pretty much gotten that out of my system, and am ready for PDK. And it's not strictly either/or, we'll very likely still keep one or both of our manual Porsches for road use and some track use.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

- Having done a lot of track days with manual cars, I've pretty much gotten that out of my system, and am ready for PDK. And it's not strictly either/or, we'll very likely still keep one or both of our manual Porsches for road use and some track use....
Very nice and while I don't agree w/looks better than, I totally get the PDK after your money shift in the Cayman!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trak Ratt
I totally get the PDK after your money shift in the Cayman!
Missed a shift, but there was evidence of prior oiling failure and oil starvation, so got a brand new engine under warranty courtesy of Porsche.

Deposit placed on the GT3 more than a year ago ...
Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

A few more observations:

- I like the lack of creep with the transmission.

- While the steering is outstanding overall, I do think there's a bit of numbness compared to the 997 in terms of 'feeling when you drive over a dime'. And of course this is only on the road, haven't tracked it yet.

- Despite trying to mix use of the paddles and stick, I find myself preferring the paddles more lately, since my hands are already there. The freedom to shift in corners without hesitation is nice.

- Although the manual mode will generally stay in the selected gear, I've noticed that it'll still shift from 2nd to 1st sometimes, I presume to prevent lugging.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:15 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

You can't judge this car by looking at the specs, reading about it, watching reviews, using your imagination, and anything else secondhand. You have to drive it.
Basically, you are repeating what AP said ("Shut up and drive"), just in a more marketing-friendly way. Are you on Porsche payroll?

Joking of course. Glad you are enjoying the car!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Basically, you are repeating what AP said ("Shut up and drive"), just in a more marketing-friendly way. Are you on Porsche payroll?

Joking of course. Glad you are enjoying the car!
I'm enjoying the car more each day ... to the extent that I may have some cars for sale soon, and the GT3 won't be one of them! (And that's still without experiencing the better half of the rev range.)

It's funny, after driving the car a bit, I've gone back and looked at several of the reviews again, along with comments from AP. With my skepticism swept away, now I really 'get' what they were trying to articulate. What he said:

Old 01-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Does the 991 come with wifi and voice to text....4 days...5 pages.....put down the keyboard and wake up the neighbors with that beauty...or come give me a ride.... I know you like checklists comparisons etc...but don't you like driving more you could be getting a snack...runs to Home Depot for a box of screws...one screw at a time
My dad loved your amg...and I think this would make him want another gt3.... Still love the 996 gt3 no nannies.....
But from the sounds of your posts...this thing is a monster

But you talk about performance steering etc...on the road in 30-40 degree weather...you put on snow tires?...those tires won't give you a real feel till the get to temp and then the road temp will be a factor too....which I'm guessing will make you smile even more

Second....wtf are you doing driving it in this salt????

Can't wait to see it
Old 01-20-2015, 11:22 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Overall, the car doesn't feel heavy, but it doesn't feel light either. Not sure why, but may have to do with the weight of the steering, the longer wheelbase, and the combination of springs and damping. This doesn't take away from the car feeling agile and planted, just makes the car feel less tossable. But my preferred driving style is fairly smooth, and to the extent I've been able to push the car so far, it seems well suited for that driving style.
I completely agree with this. One thing that continues to amaze me about this car is the turn in. It's not a small car but the turn is direct feels effortless.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Does the 991 come with wifi and voice to text....4 days...5 pages.....put down the keyboard and wake up the neighbors with that beauty...or come give me a ride.... I know you like checklists comparisons etc...but don't you like driving more you could be getting a snack...runs to Home Depot for a box of screws...one screw at a time
My dad loved your amg...and I think this would make him want another gt3.... Still love the 996 gt3 no nannies.....
But from the sounds of your posts...this thing is a monster

But you talk about performance steering etc...on the road in 30-40 degree weather...you put on snow tires?...those tires won't give you a real feel till the get to temp and then the road temp will be a factor too....which I'm guessing will make you smile even more

Second....wtf are you doing driving it in this salt????

Can't wait to see it
Don't just see it, drive it! Would love to get your take on it, given your skilz.

Yeah, the weather sucks, but I've gotta log miles to break it in before its first track event in 5 weeks.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:14 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Manifold, you and I are 'in sync' on everything.

OJ, are you and Manifold in this picture?

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)