Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Noises in GT3?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:24 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Noises in GT3?

So, I would rate my GT3 experience a 10 out of 10, but have had a number of interior noises that seem to be more than just typical GT3 resonance and vibration. The top 3 are still going on and I didn't know if others were experiencing or not - feedback appreciated. Not sure if I'm alone...it's hard to know what's related to missing noise insulation + resonance of engine + stiff suspension vs. me having some build quality issues.

The bottom ones have been resolved.

Still ongoing:
1. Constant vibration / rattling from cupholders above glovebox. This vibration and noise goes away if I press on it, but it's constantly rattling at most driving speeds and is a lot worse if the exhaust is resonating at ~4k rpms.

2. Sliding component inside front dash (center console). When I drive on backcountry roads with constant left-right turns, I hear a component that sounds like it's behind the center A/C vents that sounds like it's sliding 1-2 inches left and right with the G forces (not related to contents in my glove box or console).

3. Rattling of doors from stereo speakers (woofers). I have the sound package plus. I have to turn Bass to +0 and loudness off, but any bass-filled music makes the doors rattle.

Resolved:
4. Constant squeaking in front left of cabin from a mis-installed air duct that my dealer screwed up.
5. Constant rattling from rear engine cover tensioners that weren't adjusted properly
6. Rattling from loose speaker mount in driver's side door.

I know this isn't meant to be quiet like a Lexus, but I drive on really long trips to enjoy it, so the glovebox / cupholder rattle is driving me nuts. Others have these issues?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:41 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
I know this isn't meant to be quiet like a Lexus, but I drive on really long trips to enjoy it, so the glovebox / cupholder rattle is driving me nuts. Others have these issues?

Can't comment on the noises as mine is just now departing Emden.

I'd be all for a cup holder delete. One of the forum vendors needs to come up with a kit that removes all that junk and replaces the trim in one solid piece.

Ryan
Old 12-23-2014, 05:46 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the 18-way seats, and the passenger seat rattles like crazy when unoccupied.
I had the speaker mount issue, now resolved.
I also have the sound plus package, and the is a lot of vibration from the woofers....
Like by friend and neighbor says...'It's a RACE car.....'
Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Mine makes a lot of noises but it never bothers me because I figured it is part of the experience. I enjoy it very much. I did notice one noise that was a little different and I think the passenger window may be slightly loose. Figured I would deal with it after winter since She is now put to sleep. I really do not let any of these things bother
me.
But what a difference when I am done driving this and hop in to my Mercedes. It is night and day and love the GT3 rawness but also love to be able to toggle
between that and luxury
Old 12-23-2014, 06:19 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So far, luckily, mine feels pretty much as tight as a drum except for the mechanical noises that I expect to be hearing. On a side note, though, I think the sound package plus sound quality is pretty bad. I'm hoping it gets at least to the passable level after speaker break-in...otherwise I'm going to need some aftermarket solution. (Yeah, I know I should only be listening to the engine--and that does sound pretty great!!)
Old 12-23-2014, 06:34 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had none of those noises. The only unusual "noise" I hear is in the steering. When I turn the wheel, in parking situations, it "squeals" a little like the old hydraulic pumps. I've been assuming that's one of those deliberate noises - "because race car."

We passed 9,000 miles this week (I have the winter set of wheels/tire on her)...

Scott
Old 12-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a vibration rattle in the center of the dash where the speaker is. It occurs between 3-4 RPMs under light throttle
Old 12-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine makes all kinds of funky GT car noises. My favorite is a weird vibration that sounds like some kind of winged insect stuck on the rear glass (maybe by high G forces?) when I rev the engine above 8,500 rpm. Kind of cool. I think it may be an extra feature?
The following users liked this post:
merc5326 (04-21-2020)
Old 12-23-2014, 07:04 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as speakers rattling with the music turned up, the loudness switch is meant for low listening levels. If you want to turn it up, turn loudness off. It is a feature that can make the bass sound bloated and distorted. It is not meant for loud listening levels.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
As far as speakers rattling with the music turned up, the loudness switch is meant for low listening levels. If you want to turn it up, turn loudness off. It is a feature that can make the bass sound bloated and distorted. It is not meant for loud listening levels.
Agreed: bass is overrated anyway. Boost the mids so you can hear the guitars better and all will be well in the world.

Vivian.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:03 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Loudness button or not mine will vibrate.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

third world noises .. on a $150k car ..get them fixed

first world noises ...because racecar !
Old 12-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Kaes
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luckily no strange vibrations or unexpected noises on mine ....YET.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:22 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Loudness button or not mine will vibrate.
It has to be as simple as removing the grills however that is done and getting some thin black foam strips to dampen speaker cover rattle. That will annoy me if that happens in my car.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:24 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned a 997.1 GT2, two 997.2 GT3's a 997.2 GT3RS, and a 2014 GT3. All but the last squeaked and one of the MT cars seemed to have the throw-out bearing issue so the clutch vibrated when shifting. There were times I felt like PAG wasn't trying hard enough, figuring we wouldn't care because you don't notice that stuff on the track. As someone here correctly said, especially for the GT3 non-RS, this is a dual-purporse car and many use these as DD. For the money, how hard is it to tighten screws properly? We all want our cars put together the right way and with all the parts and with a little respect for those of us who help make the giant PAG profits.
The following users liked this post:
erik_plus8 (04-22-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Noises in GT3?