Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lease vs finance 2015 GT3 - tips and advice are welcome :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:49 PM
pelo911
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lease vs finance 2015 GT3 - tips and advice are welcome :)

Hi

i found few 2015 GT3 that i liked

White or Sapphire Blue

Porsche not offer great deal on GT3 lease
lease payments for 36 month , around $85K
5000 miles per year.

i'm trying to understand the numbers

do you guys leased GT3 ?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 02:11 PM
jimmermd
Instructor

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/1...a-new-car.html

Residuals seem fixed for GT3 models. You may be able to get a break on your money factor.

Something else to consider, looking back to the stop sale, do people feel that it was better to have leased, financed, or purchased their cars, and how might that have effected their relationship with Porsche or your dealers with loaners and compensation? How will your past experience influence future purchases?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If you plan on keeping the car for a short term, the cheapest way to do it is a 1-time lease payment (provided that you must pay sales tax on the purchase, this depends by state and whether or not you're doing a trade, as I understand). This way you are only paying the money factor (interest) on the residual value, not the sum of the residual value and the negotiated selling price, less your down payment. You're also saving on sales tax by only paying it on the depreciation, not the entire msrp. This is actually cheaper than an out-right cash purchase, without any kind of financing. A no-brainer provided you have the 75-85k cash necessary to go this route.

Nevertheless, only you can answer whether your cash could be put to better use elsewhere.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:39 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The good old question…. It's always been a tough call on the GT cars. The bottom line for me on these cars has always been that if I can't buy them cash, I can't afford them. That's been my, and I'm stressing my own philosophy.

I dreamt of owning an E39 M5, I was in graduate school when these babies were being sold over MSRP, I couldn't even afford the fuel at the time if I had owned it. Once I graduated and got going in my career, I bought the car. That's when I realized how crazy it would be to have these expensive cars AND make some kind of interest payment on them (APR, or "money factor). These cars are luxury items, not necessities.

My <0.00002 ¢ worth of opinion.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:57 PM
pelo911
Racer

Originally Posted by Serge944
If you plan on keeping the car for a short term, the cheapest way to do it is a 1-time lease payment (provided that you must pay sales tax on the purchase, this depends by state and whether or not you're doing a trade, as I understand). This way you are only paying the money factor (interest) on the residual value, not the sum of the residual value and the negotiated selling price, less your down payment. You're also saving on sales tax by only paying it on the depreciation, not the entire msrp. This is actually cheaper than an out-right cash purchase, without any kind of financing. A no-brainer provided you have the 75-85k cash necessary to go this route.

Nevertheless, only you can answer whether your cash could be put to better use elsewhere.

i live in Texas
i think here in Texas i need to pay the Sales Tax upfront based on the car value.
i'm not sure , buy if i remember right , in California it's different
Old 12-17-2014, 03:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ while I am not familiar with TX law, I do not think any govt could charge u sales tax on things u didn't buy. a lease, u in,y bought the car for the portion u drive (lease). so u pay tax on the depn. the residual technically is the portion of the car that belongs to the lemder, so u should not be taxed.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, TX is unfortunately one of those states that charges tax on the MSRP of the vehicle instead of just the total lease cost. Go figure, no state taxes so why not tax on the area where one would think to have a financial advantage.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,785 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ while I am not familiar with TX law, I do not think any govt could charge u sales tax on things u didn't buy. a lease, u in,y bought the car for the portion u drive (lease). so u pay tax on the depn. the residual technically is the portion of the car that belongs to the lemder, so u should not be taxed.
That's how it should be, but I think that in Arkansas, Illinois, Maryland, Oklahoma, Texas and Virginia, the lease payments include the sales tax on the full price of the car.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

That's hardy cheaper than buying outright, since you are still paying horrible lease finance rates on 40% of the car's value. Yes, you Dave about 9% on the other 60% (5.4% net reduction). Plus you have a huge liability: if you total the car, most insurance structures just pay off the remainder of the lease payments do you can walk away. If you have laid this up front, you lose anything you've paid up front.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

In the case of Texas, and since you have to pay the full sales tax, financing should be better since Porsche's money factor is not competitive with today's third party auto finance rates.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:16 PM
pelo911
Racer

http://www.leaseguide.com/articles/texas-auto-lease/
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
That's hardy cheaper than buying outright, since you are still paying horrible lease finance rates on 40% of the car's value. Yes, you Dave about 9% on the other 60% (5.4% net reduction). Plus you have a huge liability: if you total the car, most insurance structures just pay off the remainder of the lease payments do you can walk away. If you have laid this up front, you lose anything you've paid up front.
Case Study 1-time lease payment in the state of CA (or any state that only charges tax on the depreciation, not full msrp):

MSRP $140,000
1-time lease payment (36 months, .002 money factor) $76,979
Residual (52%) $72,800
MSRP less residual $67,200
Finance/Sales Tax Cost ('1 time lease payment' - 'MSRP less residual') $9,779

Outright purchase:

MSRP $140,000
Sales tax Cost (8%) $11,200

You have saved over $1,400 and you only had to front half the cash. The advantage over financing would be even more.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:30 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Residual (52%) $72,800
If that's what they are using as the residual, you might as well buy. My 3 year old 991S is worth quite a lot more than that.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Why would you ever do a lease return on a GT3? This particular car is always worth more than the residual value. The premise in either scenario is that you sell in 3 years time.

A lease isn't binding, you can always get out by selling the car or trading it in, and paying off the residual amount.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

One disadvantage of the 1-time lease though that I should mention: If you have a really short attention span and sell the car sooner than 3 years, you will have lost the finance charge/sales tax that you pre-paid.

For those unique individuals that change cars every 6 months, a conventional monthly lease is the only financially sound way to do it. Otherwise, the sales tax kills you.

Quick Reply: lease vs finance 2015 GT3 - tips and advice are welcome :)