Sponsored by:

Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Noticed some chipping in the front only so far at 1400 mi
Thought it was due to main road being shot and chipped TWICE in the last few months... Barely used the car the road was so bad!
Does look like it's an issue for all colors tho.
My first thought was the flat spoke design as some have stated
Old 12-17-2014, 12:35 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi Mark, I'd say it's acceptable but by no means perfect. From 3 feet or more, if you're not looking for them, you won't notice the repairs. Up close, or if you're in trying to find them, they're more noticeable.

The two worst chips were on my left rear wheel. You can see them on the spoke at 1:00 and the spoke at 3:30. The flash accentuates them quite a bit. There are some smaller chips that are barely visible in normal light. Anyway, the touch up is a lot better than the white primer and for now I can live with the result.
Thanks Mike. Actually not that bad at all and especially from a distance. Certainly worth a shot. I got an average of 3 chips per rear wheel, and couple on the front ones. I will buy the touch up paint and try it this weekend. Thanks again. Mark
Old 12-17-2014, 01:41 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE Wheels

That should not be an issue if the powder coating company knows what they're doing.
I agree but just few comments that I would like to add since we have some experience in this area and we actually powder coat most of our finished products with good success ..........

Common alloy used for forged aluminum wheels like our GT3 wheels is 6061-T6. This alloy gets artificial aging (aging precipitation heat treatment) ,which is done at 350 F for 8 hours followed by air quenching (cooling) of the part, to produces the T6 temper. This process is needed to increase the mechanical strength (yield, fatigue, etc) of the material.

Most powder coating materials require cure temperatures ranging from 250 to 375°F with a cure time of about 1 hour Maximum. Since this temperature range can overlap with the artificial aging process , the powder coating process has the potential to over treat the aluminum wheel, causing some embrittlement and reduced fatigue life which can lead to premature cracks, or reduced shock loading strength of the wheel.

However, since most powder coated parts are cured in temperatures less than 350°F and for usually around 45 min, the process should not really change the wheel mechanical properties by much. Furthermore, the latest advances in powder coating compounds & processes have really brought the cure temperatures significantly in the last few years. Many good shops can cure most parts at temperatures around 250°F between 30 to 45 minutes.

So in my opinion it is pretty safe to powder coat our forged GT3 wheels, but to be in the safe side, I would recommend that you confirm with the powder coater that the temperature of the wheel shall not exceed 300°F (or lower), and you should be safe. Good luck. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 12-17-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

fascinating stuff Mark. Thanks for your input!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
This may be a paint issue for sure. The purpose of the primer is to bond to the underlying metal, and equally bond to the paint color. To have the paint color just chip off of the primer is not what is supposed to happen. As more are delivered, this will be a big issue.
I agree. There is definitely an issue. I have about 30 of these on all 4 wheels after 12 months. They are worse at the front than the back...
Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 AM
LindsayMac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its not likely to add any real chipping protection, but what products are you fellows using on your wheels to protect and ease cleaning?
Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LindsayMac
I know its not likely to add any real chipping protection, but what products are you fellows using on your wheels to protect and ease cleaning?

CQuartz on wheels.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 layers of Ceramic pro on mine.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Napoli
Racer

Just called PCNA and they have opened a case for my chipping issue. They will contact me within 24 hrs. to discuss what's next.

PCNA: 800-767-7243. Ignore the prompts and wait for rep to come on.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

I am at a month and 1K miles with no chipping, yet! I'm sure its just a matter of time. I have had painted wheels on a number of vehicles and have never seen anything like the pictures Mike posted. A chip is probably justified if you take a reasonable hit from a big enough rock, but these small chips should not be happening. The fact that the paint is separating from the primer and flaking is very telling. Something is amiss with the painting process.. I was going to paint my wheels satin black but I guess I will wait and see what develops here.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:16 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my 2011 gt3 had 8k miles on it when I sold it and no chipping whatsoever on the factory black painted wheels.... maybe its the wheel design as others have said
Old 12-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Napoli
Racer

PCNA and my dealer both responded today to ask me to take my GT3 to the dealer. They said as long as the car hasn't been abused, it will be covered by warranty. FWIW, the only abuse occurs when I'm not able to drive the car!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:10 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
PCNA and my dealer both responded today to ask me to take my GT3 to the dealer. They said as long as the car hasn't been abused, it will be covered by warranty. FWIW, the only abuse occurs when I'm not able to drive the car!
Great!!! Keep the RL crowd posted on how PCNA deals with it. They may think it is an isolated incident at this time.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Great!!! Keep the RL crowd posted on how PCNA deals with it. They may think it is an isolated incident at this time.
Will do.

I told the PCNA rep that I know of several others, but according to her, I am the first to contact them about this.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Napoli, good on you.

What do you prefer to happen? Touch up, re paint, or replace? Wonder what route Porsche will take.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Quick Reply: Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?