Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW CRAWFORD WING FOR GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

This cat has all the bases covered: Poser style and performance (ok, maybe).

Old 12-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I think that some of the posters on this thread forgot that the stock GT3 wing is already pretty outrageous looking to some people.This just looks like a bigger version of the stock wing to me. If there was a parking lot full of gt3's with stock wings and a few mixed in with these wings, I doubt that they would look too much out of place to most people. Personally, I prefer the stock wing, but if I were driving competitively and this wing gave me better lap times, I wouldn't hesitate putting it on my car. JMO.

Last edited by Zucc; 12-16-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To each his own
Old 12-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

"Function over form" - Good for you if this achieves the result you are looking for. Who am I to question any ones' choices. I don't like Blondes and prefer Brunettes. Who cares?? I am sure there will be some die-hard track junkies that will go this route. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's one thing this car needs at the track kits more downforce. Thing is pretty unstable when you get really moving. Glad it's working for you at the track. Will you be going to the PCA 48hrs of Sebring event?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

The racer in me thinks the Crawford wing looks beautiful.

If you're not a racer you will never understand.

Will I buy it- probably not since my GT3 is not my race car. I like the stock look and yes the RS wing if not tracked makes my butt look big too.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

The OP doesn't care about looks......then why stripes?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:44 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

If you hate Crawford then you hate this too-

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  47.0 KB
Old 12-17-2014, 12:23 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Lane thanks for the data points. It doesnt look as bad as I thought on the car. The benefits you talk about are what we are likely to see as a result of the 991 GT3Rs aero package and I can see modifications like this pick up pace as the RS is released and GT3 owners need to find some more seconds on the track. My thoughts are that you should experiement with some additional small cannards up front and get some more negative camber into the set up to really start to benefit from your new aero. My guess there is another 1-2s on the table refining settings. Keep up the great work. Good to see someone made some non poseur improvements to the cars basic config. Hats off to you sir...
Excellent advice Macca. Those Mods were in my plans also. I've found my pea-sized brain can only process one Mod at a time or my computer crashes and I don't know what caused what. I will be trying each of the mods you suggest one at a time.

Having gotten to know Max Crawford well during all the time I spent with him during this Wing Project, you guys down-under lost a really good bloke when he came topside here. Wonder if you ever met him? They don't make many like that either in my world or yours. I've been very privileged and humbled by the time spent with him.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
If you hate Crawford then you hate this too-

Attachment 895221
And the Poseurs will certainly hate this one:

This was the fastest GT3 (with a lap time of 1:48) among all the many GT3s racing at PCA's Octoberfast Races at Daytona this year.<br/>It also was the GT3 with the largest Wing.<br/>Coincidence?<br/>I think NOT!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

although it is a .1RS style blade, it wouldnt look so bad if it were lower... but alas, where it sits it works better.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Lane.... Thanks for the valuable information. Really much appreciated. I actually thought about eliminating that third brake light and plugging the hole with a specially formed piece that can restore the trailing edge of the wing and hopefully pick up some additional down force from the stock wing. By any chance did they share with you the actual downforce figures for the stock GT3 wing (both positions) or the new wing they designed for you? Also curious if you ever tried the stock wing adjusted to the second position where it supposed to give you higher down force? Just curious if that helped with tail wag at 150 mph braking.

Again great post,.... Thank you , and look forward to hear more from you about future modifications or adjustments to your car. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 12-17-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:33 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Lane.... Thanks for the valuable information. Really much appreciated. I actually thought about eliminating that third brake light and plugging the hole with a specially formed piece that can restore the trailing edge of the wing and hopefully pick up some additional down force from the stock wing. By any chance did they share with you the actual downforce figures for the stock GT3 wing (both positions) or the new wing they designed for you? Also curious if you ever tried the stock wing adjusted to the second position where it supposed to give you higher down force? Just curious if that helped with tail wag at 150 mph braking.

Again great post,.... Thank you , and look forward to hear more from you about future modifications or adjustments to your car. Mark
Thanks as well!! I think peeps should look up Crawford Composites to get a better idea about these guys before bashing them. An experienced race derived company, that has developed an aftermarket track option for this car should be applauded. If it is an easy add-on for a track day, I would think many here would be interested. Imagine having a simple bolt-on option to turn your street car into a more track ready car for the weekend, then Superman puts his suit back on when the weekend is over. I do think that knowledge of the effects on rear suspension loads needs to be taken into account, but I assume CC knew that information when this was developed?!?!?! Many times here we will see guys post "demands" for a company to build X,Y,Z for this car, (often for esthetics or for posing), but what many need to understand is that there is such low production numbers, that it is difficult to justify the research and development, when there wouldn't be a great return on investment for these companies. Here we have a RL guy that took the time to drive to Crawford, let them use his car to develop this wing (using their race derived knowledge), and actually got it produced, and now it enters testing (at least at Sebring), and it seems that many here want to only find the negative.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:51 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough crowd indeed. Post something like this in the 997 GT3 forum and guys will be salivating over the details and lap time improvements. Props to the OP for having the courage to be a trailblazer (and the lap time improvement is pretty mega too).
Old 12-17-2014, 01:24 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
This cat has all the bases covered: Poser style and performance (ok, maybe).

That made me laugh out loud!

Quick Reply: NEW CRAWFORD WING FOR GT3