Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs. the triumphant 991 TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:05 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

[ I thought the 991 Carrera S was very competent but a little too bland for me.[/QUOTE]

If I had any sense I would have kept my 991S and ignored the TT and GT3 LOL.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Look what I got today!

So I picked this up at 9:30am this morning and drove it from Long Island to Washington, D.C.

What a car...I thought I loved my turbo s...which I do. But geez this car is unbelievable and way different than the turbo s.

Here are my impressions after a 5 hour drive. It is visceral, it is everything I thought it would be,

The lightweight bucket seats are great, a hybrid between true buckets and the standard seats. Comfortable enough for 5 hrs, I think I read someone thought it needed lumbar support which it does.

The car sounds great, the ride is firmer than my turbo s for sure, the gt3 in standard mode is about the same or maybe a little firmer than the turbo s in sport plus.

The engine, what an engine, the sounds are unbelievable. It is torquey..but it's no turbo s. Not even close. But sooo much stronger than I anticipated. I ran into a few cars that wanted to run including a new mercedes sl63? But the power is appropriate for the car and the fact that it's rwd. The turbo s needs AWD to handle the power.

So for a 5 hr drive, if I had to do it every week I would do a turbo s. But if your driving to and from the track the gt3.

I have lightweight buckets so I can't see it ever being a dd. And the front end clearance is so low you have to have a lift.

The car is parked and I'm going to drive the turbo s for a few days and see.

Anyone maybe want to buy this?

Jeff
Old 12-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic agate color and congrats on your GT3 , I am also going from a turbo s to a gt3 and understand exactly all comparisons . Enjoy and good luck
Old 12-17-2014, 11:49 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good logic: "But the power is appropriate for the car and the fact that it's rwd. The turbo s needs AWD to handle the power."
Old 12-18-2014, 04:29 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlee504
Look what I got today!

So I picked this up at 9:30am this morning and drove it from Long Island to Washington, D.C.

What a car...I thought I loved my turbo s...which I do. But geez this car is unbelievable and way different than the turbo s.

Here are my impressions after a 5 hour drive. It is visceral, it is everything I thought it would be,

The lightweight bucket seats are great, a hybrid between true buckets and the standard seats. Comfortable enough for 5 hrs, I think I read someone thought it needed lumbar support which it does.

The car sounds great, the ride is firmer than my turbo s for sure, the gt3 in standard mode is about the same or maybe a little firmer than the turbo s in sport plus.

The engine, what an engine, the sounds are unbelievable. It is torquey..but it's no turbo s. Not even close. But sooo much stronger than I anticipated. I ran into a few cars that wanted to run including a new mercedes sl63? But the power is appropriate for the car and the fact that it's rwd. The turbo s needs AWD to handle the power.

So for a 5 hr drive, if I had to do it every week I would do a turbo s. But if your driving to and from the track the gt3.

I have lightweight buckets so I can't see it ever being a dd. And the front end clearance is so low you have to have a lift.

The car is parked and I'm going to drive the turbo s for a few days and see.

Anyone maybe want to buy this?

Jeff
Superb portfolio! Well done. Doesn't that feel like the best day in a loooong time? My day was in August and it was...
Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Yeah, I can not figure out why there is not more activity on 991 turbo form.
In a nutshell:
The 991T/TS board is guys talking about snow tires and carbon trinkets, with a few first-time Porsche owners sprinkled in.
Over here, most everyone has owned multiple Porsches, has a fair amount of track experience and discuss performance upgrades. That's why I come over here; I'm sick of reading endless "what's my car worth" threads on the 964T board
Old 12-19-2014, 01:04 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jlee54 - that is a fantastic car. Congrats!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:15 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

The gt3 is definitely more exhilarating. But I drove my turbo s today and I still love it

Way more comfortable and easy to drive.

Jeff
Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I believe I'm in minority based on how many are driving around my area!? They are EVERYWHERE...so much so that I was thinking one of 2 senarios: either the local dealer was doing a buy one, get one free promotion, or since they appear pregnant to me they literally must be giving birth to other panameras while sitting in people's garages?
LOL! The 911 looks so good that the proportions of the Panamera jar my vision. But obviously there are many who see things differently.

The GT3 is great, but I do think the 991 TTS is a better DD, so that's what I ended up with! Fortunately I have another car that works as a track car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 09:05 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Need4S
LOL! The 911 looks so good that the proportions of the Panamera jar my vision. But obviously there are many who see things differently.

The GT3 is great, but I do think the 991 TTS is a better DD, so that's what I ended up with! Fortunately I have another car that works as a track car.
Enjoy it!

Is that a Turbo or Turbo S? Looks like red calipers.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:53 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in NYC and don't think a car as low to the ground as the GT3 would be practical for me. Even with the lift system deployed the ground clearance is still a lot lower than the TTS.

My cars are:

2014 991 TTS; and

2015 AMG E63 S with Renntech full tune, Renntech catted DPs and Renntech sport mufflers. 726 bhp and 875 lbs-ft. (car comes in 2 weeks but have mods pre-paid and set up to go).

If I lived in the burbs and wanted something more visceral the GT3 would be it. But my two cars fit my needs. Both are super fast and can be used as a DD.

Oh and this board rocks. The passion for the brand is palpable here. The 991 Turbo board is so dead by comparison. Weird because I am sure there must be many more Turbos and Turbo S cars than GT3s.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:14 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I KNOW one thing Porsche WANTs to sell more Turbo S's look how many they have for sale. They have like 5 for every ONE turbo on the lot. I guess the profit margins are way better!!!!
Trying to get us use to the $200k standard 911 is the only thing I can think of.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I KNOW one thing Porsche WANTs to sell more Turbo S's look how many they have for sale. They have like 5 for every ONE turbo on the lot. I guess the profit margins are way better!!!!
Trying to get us use to the $200k standard 911 is the only thing I can think of.
Yes Porsche sure does seem to produce a lot more 991 Turbo S cars than 991 Turbos. I got the Turbo S because by the time you option up a Turbo with all the performance options that are standard in the Turbo S they are about the same price except the Turbo still has less power.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:55 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes Porsche sure does seem to produce a lot more 991 Turbo S cars than 991 Turbos. I got the Turbo S because by the time you option up a Turbo with all the performance options that are standard in the Turbo S they are about the same price except the Turbo still has less power.
Agreed. Part of their Jedi mind trick...you really don't want a turbo..now buy the turbo s.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:22 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Enjoy it!

Is that a Turbo or Turbo S? Looks like red calipers.
It's a lightly optioned non-S Turbo. I felt that the additional performance options of the S don't really matter that much for a DD (but I do have sport chrono), and at close to $200k for the S, that's getting near Ferrari territory (not that they are really interchangeable). If a lot of people think the same way, it may explain why so many Turbo S's sit on lots.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs. the triumphant 991 TTS?