Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs. the triumphant 991 TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cabman4007
Took a 2.5 hr ride to Sebring in a GT3. Between the obnoxious noise, the small plastic racing seats and the punishment on my spine/kidneys I will never ride in one of these cars again. It was punishment. My 991 TTS is an amazing car and beautiful in stature, gets too many looks and stares. I guess not being a track person I just dont get the hoopla about the GT3. But to each his/her own, I am a P Car lover and the GT3 is stunning, no doubt, just not for me.
Wow, was it a 991 GT3? I have not shared your same experience....not even remotely close although my experience was in sofas not LWB as they were not available. While I'm a big fan of TTS (I'm going to add one as a DD), your feedback sounds as if it was an older gen GT3 you were in?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:59 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Took a 2.5 hr ride to Sebring in a GT3. Between the obnoxious noise, the small plastic racing seats and the punishment on my spine/kidneys I will never ride in one of these cars again. It was punishment. My 991 TTS is an amazing car and beautiful in stature, gets too many looks and stares. I guess not being a track person I just dont get the hoopla about the GT3. But, to each his/her own, I am a P Car lover and the GT3 is stunning, no doubt, just not for me.
This is the beauty of these cars! There is always a car for everyone's needs! To me the 1gt3 is to soft. So I really hope the RS or cayman gt4 will deliver! I drove the tts earlier this year and like the 1.3 it's a great car!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Wow, was it a 991 GT3? I have not shared your same experience....not even remotely close although my experience was in sofas not LWB as they were not available. While I'm a big fan of TTS (I'm going to add one as a DD), your feedback sounds as if it was an older gen GT3 you were in?

Not sure if anything has changed in the 997.2 or 991 but definitely not for me.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Lol that's a big fact to omit. Go try a 991 and tell us what you think
Old 12-15-2014, 10:36 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I "need" to have both. They look similar to the average person but they are so different. The 991 Turbo S is the best Porsche I have ever owned and I've owned both a 997.2 GT3 and GT3 RS. And I'm a huge track guy. Flame me.
I agree. I showed your post to my wife because I have been contemplating the same. No go, she started talking about a new house instead!! WTH?? I owned both and miss the TTS dearly but if I am forced to chose one, it's the GT3. That said, I will use this thread to help convince my wife that I too, need both. If I don't post for a week, safe to assume I was killed.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I agree. I showed your post to my wife because I have been contemplating the same. No go, she started talking about a new house instead!! WTH?? I owned both and miss the TTS dearly but if I am forced to chose one, it's the GT3. That said, I will use this thread to help convince my wife that I too, need both. If I don't post for a week, safe to assume I was killed.
Ha don't tell her!!

Enough people have both on this board that it's convinced me its worth the wrath I have to contend with when I bring her home Wednesday.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2014, 11:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I've given up buying it for myself and trying to convince my wife it's the perfect Christmas present for her and we can take fun family drives with our son. No luck getting her to test drive yet, but hopefully this weekend...
Old 12-15-2014, 11:22 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

997.1. Not sure if anything has changed in the 997.2 or 991 but definitely not for me.
A lot has happened in the last 7-8 years! I might get flamed for this but I think the 991gt3 is a better DD than the 997tt.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 AM
FCR757
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the posts on this thread, I want to share my own experience with my '15 GT3. This is my 5th 911 and third 991 ('12 C2S, '14 C4S, '15 GT3). My wife loved driving our C2S and C4S and would regularly take them out for fun. Both had PDK's and am quite sure she never drove either car in manual or Sport modes. She just enjoyed the driving experience. Happy wife/happy life!

So I convince her that the GT3 is the only car for me. She doesn't care about all of my reasons. Just asks if the "obnoxious wing can be deleted"! Hearing about the ride in the previous generations, I am convinced that the wing may be the least of her complaints after giving up the ride and comfort of the C4S. We get our GT3 a month ago and after a short adjustment to all the new sounds, she absolutely loves driving it. She will be driving it every bit as much as our previous 911's. Even though she will only be putting on less than 10% of the miles and probably not ever exceeding 5k RPM's, it sure makes the ownership experience that much better.

We all know how intoxicating this car is to drive. But I am truly amazed how this car can serve both comfort and performance. If you haven't yet driven the car, you need to experience it first hand. A remarkable bi-polar automotive experience!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:33 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FCR757
After reading the posts on this thread, I want to share my own experience with my '15 GT3. This is my 5th 911 and third 991 ('12 C2S, '14 C4S, '15 GT3). My wife loved driving our C2S and C4S and would regularly take them out for fun. Both had PDK's and am quite sure she never drove either car in manual or Sport modes. She just enjoyed the driving experience. Happy wife/happy life!

So I convince her that the GT3 is the only car for me. She doesn't care about all of my reasons. Just asks if the "obnoxious wing can be deleted"! Hearing about the ride in the previous generations, I am convinced that the wing may be the least of her complaints after giving up the ride and comfort of the C4S. We get our GT3 a month ago and after a short adjustment to all the new sounds, she absolutely loves driving it. She will be driving it every bit as much as our previous 911's. Even though she will only be putting on less than 10% of the miles and probably not ever exceeding 5k RPM's, it sure makes the ownership experience that much better.

We all know how intoxicating this car is to drive. But I am truly amazed how this car can serve both comfort and performance. If you haven't yet driven the car, you need to experience it first hand. A remarkable bi-polar automotive experience!

I'm going to show this to my wife tonight. She got a chance to drive our C4S before I traded it in and I think she liked it (although at first she balked at trying it). Thanks for posting.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traded my 2012 TTS for a 2015 GT3

after test driving the GT3 , I was blown away by this car and as much as I was in love with my Turbo S , I totally got bored with it and ordered a GT3 immediately ...there is no car close to it with the same /similar price range .
My wife is questioning my snappy loyalty as she never thought I would sell or get bored of my TTS !!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:39 PM
cabman4007
Racer

My wife loved the new 1995 993 and could not get enough time behind the wheel (MT). Then she cooled off with the 996 cab and the 997 TT (both manuals). For some reason the 991 TTS has once again gotten her attention and she now uses it regularly to my chagrin. She uses "comfort" mode and drives it as she would a sedan. She will not tell me how much juice she gives it on the I-95 ramps but I am sure she gets into it. She just got back a RT to Daytona Beach (190 miles) and has that smile all over her face, lol. I ran to the garage to check MY car out and although hot it was in perfect condition. Now, if I had the GT3 I wonder if the excitment would be there for her? The surge of the TTS is something else.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife loved the new 1995 993 and could not get enough time behind the wheel (MT). Then she cooled off with the 996 cab and the 997 TT (both manuals). For some reason the 991 TTS has once again gotten her attention and she now uses it regularly to my chagrin. She uses "comfort" mode and drives it as she would a sedan. She will not tell me how much juice she gives it on the I-95 ramps but I am sure she gets into it. She just got back a RT to Daytona Beach (190 miles) and has that smile all over her face, lol. I ran to the garage to check MY car out and although hot it was in perfect condition. Now, if I had the GT3 I wonder if the excitment would be there for her? The surge of the TTS is something else.
Well, this is exactly why I have a 7 RS, 991 GT3 (I thought she might actually like the ride so I ordered LWB, that should do the trick!) and a others.....I'm hoping my wife hates the ride and won't take a 190 RT drive ha ha so far it has worked out great!!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 PM
cabman4007
Racer

LOL sccchiii,

Maybe subliminally I am thinking that! I take joy seeing my wife of 36 years big time smiling. BUT, maybe I should surrender the TTS to her and get a GT3? Nah,, too harsh for me and I dont want to track it and beat it up and have to replace brakes (PCCBs)/tires, etc every 5 visits.

Tracked my 997 TT a few times and got the paint and wheels abrated-sand blasted, tires frayed, ugly mess. Why ruin a beautiful work of art IMO.

The turbo will never visit a track just maybe a drag strip for a 1/4, 1/2, and mile run,,,that would be a blast. I have always wanted the nads to go full throttle for 1-2 miles (abandoned airstrip) but will not on our public roads even knowing there is no LE.

Maybe we can break the 10 viewers at onetime soon! I personally see the number 9 everytime I log on here and 75+ on the GT3 thread. Very disheartening, lol
Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I owned two different 997.1 turbos. I don't think the GT3 is a better DD.
I own A 991TT and a '15 GT3 they are both very different. You have to think a gritty car is fun to like the GT3. I do but I think more people would like the TT.

My favorite is whatever I am in.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs. the triumphant 991 TTS?