Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF: How Much Wrap Does The GT3 Need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 01:35 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPF: How Much Wrap Does The GT3 Need?

I was wondering what people are doing with their GT3 PPF, whether most are going with a full wrap, or some partial amount instead.

Right now (for Xpel Ultimate), the options include:

1. Partial hood, fenders, mirrors, and front bumper, or
Full hood, fenders, mirrors, and front bumper

2. Standard rocker panels, or
Full rear fender kit (including full rockers, A pillars, etc...)

3. Both doors

4. Roof

5. Wing and rear deck lid

6. Full rear bumper

As it stands now, I'm likely going for a full wrap minus the wing/rear deck, though I'm open to reasons as to why I'd need those included.

What's your wrap include, and why?
Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full front end. Rocker panel and remove OEM in front of rear wheels and extend it. Mirrors. Soon to arrive 2015 gt3.

That what I did on my 07 gt3, and c7 a year ago
Clearplex too on windshield.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:54 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
Full front end. Rocker panel and remove OEM in front of rear wheels and extend it. Mirrors. Soon to arrive 2015 gt3.

That what I did on my 07 gt3, and c7 a year ago
Clearplex too on windshield.
Same here... had it done and love it. My guy modified the Xpel template to bring the rear fender protection higher. And based upon the rubber marks from the track - that was a good thing. The car gets hit pretty high up on the rear fenders - near or above the top of the wheel well. Not a lot of impacts, but not insignificant either. The xpel ultimate did it's job admirably on first track day.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Full front end.
Behind the rear tire/rear fender.
A 12 - 18" strip on the roof starting at the top of the windshield.
Maybe the top of the rear fenders too - they are now huge!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would a partial wrap be more obvious than a full due to slightly different paint colors?
I think I'd be more inclined to do a full wrap even if the car didn't need it from a protection point of view just to make it look completely invisible. Never done a car before but use it on motorbikes all the time and it's impressive stuff.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:58 PM
bills742
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing. Is the rear bumper worth doing? Maybe just behind the rear tires, although I hate seeing lines!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 PM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Doing full wrap on mine (as I do on all my cars). Should be around $4500 for Xpel Ultimate.

Reasons obviously being protection, but as mentioned as well, the evens out the "paint".
Old 12-01-2014, 07:53 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone NOT doing any film? Im on the fence between full wrap and none. The paint is so awesome "au naturel" im not sure i want to put a film on it. Im wont drive it unless road is nice and clear of winter rocks...but i know, theres always that truck pitching rock dust....
Is it a must for track?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Same here... had it done and love it. My guy modified the Xpel template to bring the rear fender protection higher. And based upon the rubber marks from the track - that was a good thing. The car gets hit pretty high up on the rear fenders - near or above the top of the wheel well. Not a lot of impacts, but not insignificant either. The xpel ultimate did it's job admirably on first track day.
Who did yours locally?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:15 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
I was wondering what people are doing with their GT3 PPF, whether most are going with a full wrap, or some partial amount instead.

Right now (for Xpel Ultimate), the options include:

1. Partial hood, fenders, mirrors, and front bumper, or
Full hood, fenders, mirrors, and front bumper

2. Standard rocker panels, or
Full rear fender kit (including full rockers, A pillars, etc...)

3. Both doors

4. Roof

5. Wing and rear deck lid

6. Full rear bumper

As it stands now, I'm likely going for a full wrap minus the wing/rear deck, though I'm open to reasons as to why I'd need those included.

What's your wrap include, and why?
I'm going with full wrap excluding headlights and rear wing/deck. Clearplex for windshield. Tint 30 all around, except the front windshield.

Front for rock chips, doors for door dings, roof for bird crap, rear quarter for rick chips, rear bumpers for stupid people who bump your car when parking and clearplex for rock chips. I did an Angeles Crest run years ago during the spring and got my windshield peppered in tiny flecks of chips from thousands of small rocks on that run so, clearplex is a no brainer. The only thing I'm excluding, even though I'd like to wrap to avoid bird crap is the rear wing and deck because it would be very time consuming and expensive. If money was not an issue I'd probably wrap that too. I'm going with SunTek based upon recommendations from Moe. Now that I think about it, I need to have CQuartz put on the rear deck/wings as an alternative to the wrap.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Thanks to you I used the same installer and got the same areas protected. Entirely agree with you about having the higher film on the rear fenders.

- Full Wrapped Hood
- Full Wrapped Fenders
- Mirrors and Door Cups
- Front Bumper kit
- Headlight and Fog Light kit
- Front of Roof and A-Pillar kit
- Custom Extended Rocker Panel
- Lower Door kit
- Splash area on rear bumper
Old 12-01-2014, 09:04 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Who did yours locally?
Atlanta Protective Films... Derek. He's amazing. Three other 991 GT3 Rennlisters have gone to him and all are happy. Lodi, Haku, and kencollinsjr

Last edited by sgroer; 12-01-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGsound
Anyone NOT doing any film? Im on the fence between full wrap and none. The paint is so awesome "au naturel" im not sure i want to put a film on it. Im wont drive it unless road is nice and clear of winter rocks...but i know, theres always that truck pitching rock dust.... Is it a must for track?
At this point, I'm planning on no film.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No film for me. Can't stand the look, love the paint.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:27 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still undecided, but have lot's of time to think about it. Being I live in Ontario, the Golden Horseshoe area, are there any recommendations on who does great work up here?

Quick Reply: PPF: How Much Wrap Does The GT3 Need?