Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF: How Much Wrap Does The GT3 Need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wrapped mine entirely. Tomorrow, she goes for CQuartz - body and wheels - plus window tint and headlamp and windscreen protection.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
I wrapped mine entirely. Tomorrow, she goes for CQuartz - body and wheels - plus window tint and headlamp and windscreen protection.
I suggest you check on the headlight delamination issue. There a couple of threads on the issue . Also if my memory serves me well there is discussion of this in the car manual.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:35 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
I suggest you check on the headlight delamination issue. There a couple of threads on the issue . Also if my memory serves me well there is discussion of this in the car manual.
It is in the manual.
No wrap for me.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by Just in time
I did. My installer uses the newer thin Xpel film cutout - the old one was a thick sheet of plastic, which trapped headlamp heat (his words). He guarantees headlamp replacement.

Last edited by Napoli; 12-04-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by armbar
It is in the manual.
No wrap for me.
Owner's manual? Warranty and customer info?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

To OP, for sure wrap as much of the front end as possible. The only other MAJOR area of concern would be the lower hips in front of the rear wheels. The factory stoneguard piece is way too small and you'll be getting lots of chips along the perimeter of that little piece
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I think wrap is over rated and makes people just feel better (including me). I've had many levels of wrap. I don't think it's necessary at all and I track tons too. The wrap makes the rubber marks much harder to take off. They come off way easier when directly on paint (mothers race rubber remover). I feel like I'm protecting the paint for the next owner sometime. With all that said, my current standard is to do the entire front. You cannot tell there is a wrap if you go to someone experienced and uses xpel or sun tek. You cannot tell paint color wise and it is just as shiny as the rest of the car.
+1 - I think wrap is over rated and I view it as disposable. I only get it done on some of my cars - it'll be about $1600 for me to have the front, fenders, full hood + rockers done in Xpel. Not getting headlights done.

I agree and with rubber marks, the more you track the less wrap makes sense.

On every car that I've not had it done, I've never had a rock chip or paint problem. Porsche paint is also very very hard.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Porsche paint is also very very hard.
Sorry but at least the non metallic colors, paints are very soft. Water based paints are just not as hard as the old paints. After my Cayman ED (1100 miles) it had several stone chips in the front nose. I was surprised how many in such a short time.
I do the front of my cars, since they do see the track, running in red, everyone is running sticky tires and throwing rocks. Some tracks are worst then others, depending on what's in the paddock..
Old 12-04-2014, 02:11 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I would expect it to be the clear coat that is at issue, not the color of the paint, or necessarily the paint itself. The clear coat is the protecting layer and what will allow a chip to break through enough to take paint with it.

I would also expect underlying material (plastic, aluminum, steel, etc) and its paint prep to make a difference too. If the paint doesn't adhere properly the clear coat won't make a bit of difference because it will flake right off the base material if there is no adhesion.

Mike (not a paint expert, but I drove by a holiday inn express this morning...)
Old 12-04-2014, 02:16 PM
kneman1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me Suntek bs xpel. My car is red and I am doing the front end. I really won't be tracking just driving DD freeway in SoCal and some back roads in the mountains. Maybe 1 track day per year. I am told Suntek will look better in the car but xpel is thicker. The warranty might not be an issue because I won't keep the car that long. Just want the most shiny and natural one.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
I would expect it to be the clear coat that is at issue, not the color of the paint, or necessarily the paint itself. The clear coat is the protecting layer and what will allow a chip to break through enough to take paint with it.

I would also expect underlying material (plastic, aluminum, steel, etc) and its paint prep to make a difference too. If the paint doesn't adhere properly the clear coat won't make a bit of difference because it will flake right off the base material if there is no adhesion.

Mike (not a paint expert, but I drove by a holiday inn express this morning...)
So does something like CQuartz actually provide additional protection for the clear coat?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:36 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Todd B
So does something like CQuartz actually provide additional protection for the clear coat?
I believe only for protecting the clear coat from light scratches. In theory the CQuartz is what will be lightly scratched. It won't protect against deep scratches or chips.

It is also for appearances. It should help with keeping the car look shiny and in theory easier to clean. You should notice water bead better and for a longer period of time.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:47 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
I believe only for protecting the clear coat from light scratches. In theory the CQuartz is what will be lightly scratched. It won't protect against deep scratches or chips.

It is also for appearances. It should help with keeping the car look shiny and in theory easier to clean. You should notice water bead better and for a longer period of time.
will quartz hold wax or polish? has anyone tried to install the xpel themselves?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dark knight
will quartz hold wax or polish? has anyone tried to install the xpel themselves?
My understanding is that you can put a wax on top of a CQuartz like product. I am not sure if there is any difference in how long the wax will remain on the car.

Personally installing Xpel by myself would be a nightmare. It would drive me nuts trying to line up seams, etc. Just my opinion. While it may look easy watching someone do it, it takes technique and takes a lot of time. The material is expensive so if you screw it up doing it yourself - it's your money, if the installer messes up and needs to redo a piece it I their money.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm still debating what to do with mine. I did 3m on my 08 RS which was white and never much cared for the look as it was slightly off color. Plus some edges eventually accumulated dirt. My current car is agate and I may just put on a paint protectant like cquartz or modesta. I don't plan on tracking it.

Quick Reply: PPF: How Much Wrap Does The GT3 Need?