991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Harris' 991 GT3 vs 458 Speciale video

Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

Everything is more civilized than a Scud. Lol. IMO GT3 is not that civilized either just is compared to Scud.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

For everyone who says OMG the GT3 is a bargain, the new ZO6 will almost certainly shade them both in every area. Fortunately there is a market for all 3 cars!
I have driven a Z06 and sure it is fast. But I would not say it is in the level of the GT3. IMHO.
I dont want to step on others sensitivities here, nothing against american muscle but the interior quality is really disappointing. Traction is not that good either.
Maybe next time, I would get a Zo6, but not until I get my GT3. I dont have any more garage space.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by carcommander
Everything is more civilized than a Scud. Lol. IMO GT3 is not that civilized either just is compared to Scud.
The GT3 is the bargain of the century!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Just curious,how and where did you drive the Z06? There's only a couple of publications that got a hold of the Z06.
If you mean the past model...then I understand...but this one might just be better.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just curious,how and where did you drive the Z06? There's only a couple of publications that got a hold of the Z06.
If you mean the past model...then I understand...but this one might just be better.
There are several (larger) US Chevy dealers that already have many Z06 in stock and ready for delivery. All of them 7MT, however. And, yes, it's the C7 iteration of the Z06.

Whether anyone, including "thxbuff2001", drove any of them to really ferret out the nuances of the car, however, is a different matter entirely.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
There are several (larger) US Chevy dealers that already have many Z06 in stock and ready for delivery. All of them 7MT, however. And, yes, it's the C7 iteration of the Z06.

Whether anyone, including "thxbuff2001", drove any of them to really ferret out the nuances of the car, however, is a different matter entirely.

The new Z06 was available for delivery from a dealership in Dallas. Being a previous Z06 corvette owner and business client(we buy company trucks), I was offered a test drive which I did. Its a manual. Why not. I got to drive it for 20 minutes, not enough to completely give the plus and minuses.

My opinion is superficial to say the least but I gave an opinion about the interior and traction but take it with a grain of salt.

Like what I said, I can buy one after I get a GT3, but not before that. Each has its place in my auto tree.

So lets go back with the GT3 ok guys.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't want to really get into the psychology and self image issues involved in buying cars, but I think you guys who dismiss the Vette with the gold chain toupee remarks should be a bit more, how can I say...reflective. Lots of people think Porsche guys are well off smug jerks. I buy cars for the love of driving and I am greatly looking forward to my GT3s arrival for that reason. I also have driven Z cars, RX-7s and corvettes, and tremendously enjoyed, in their own way, all those rides. And I doubt that during the journey, my personality has morphed into or from any of these stereotypes. The new Z06 I am sure will be a fantastic drive....as is the GT3, albeit in different ways. Different strokes...as they say.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:20 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't lust after either car, but honestly, the performance gap between the 458 and Speciale is pretty big, so the more direct comparison will be the 991 RS vs. the Speciale.

The RS on track is going to be hard to beat, hypercar territory. The 991 is already unbelievable under brakes and off the corner, and now corners better. The RS is going to be better in every area.

It's funny how Porsche and Ferrari seem to stagger their "special" releases so both get the limelight.

The thing I heard loudest and clearest is that Chris was pining for a manual in both......
Old 11-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Don't want to really get into the psychology and self image issues involved in buying cars, but I think you guys who dismiss the Vette with the gold chain toupee remarks should be a bit more, how can I say...reflective. Lots of people think Porsche guys are well off smug jerks. I buy cars for the love of driving and I am greatly looking forward to my GT3s arrival for that reason. I also have driven Z cars, RX-7s and corvettes, and tremendously enjoyed, in their own way, all those rides. And I doubt that during the journey, my personality has morphed into or from any of these stereotypes. The new Z06 I am sure will be a fantastic drive....as is the GT3, albeit in different ways. Different strokes...as they say.
+100. Lots of them are smug jerks. No shortage of Corvette douches either, but given my home track is the new Corvette track in Bowling Green, I can assure you that there are going to tons of Porsches getting their butts handed to them with the Stingray, much less the Z06.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:28 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Hey man, I was just trying to get a laugh. The Z06 is a kick a$$ car.
You are right. Most cars have stigma's. Porsche also.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mvez
I don't lust after either car, but honestly, the performance gap between the 458 and Speciale is pretty big, so the more direct comparison will be the 991 RS vs. the Speciale.
I think the RS vs the Speciale would be the fair comparison. The only reason that people have been comparing the speciale with the GT3 is that it(GT3) has gained so much praise, they wanted to see it against another best seller. I think it was both good and unfair. That is why with the little amount is speed that you get from a speciale, you cannot beat the value of the GT3.

Come the RS, I could not even imagine that results. Can't wait for Chris Harris comparison.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGsound
Chris Harris back test driving a Ferrari is good to see! Not sure if it was a factory car with all the "support" or a personal car lended for the occasion...??!!!
i think it was the former as this car looks very similar to the one used by EVO.

One of both, indeed!
BUT.
I barely see myself driving to work in a GT3, nevermind a Speciale. That would be lots of $ sleeping in the garage for the occasional Sunday drive. Not sure i'd put it on the track either. But that's me, i guess im not at that "game" level, so i dont get it! "If you have to ask how much............."

My winner: GT3!
Both cars are press cars; you'll see the numberplates repeated in other tests. Car magazine drove that same Ferrari (458 FNE) in their comparo with a blue GT3; Chris drove that GT3 (911 GB) on the same track (Anglesey) against an Aston Martin and a Black Series earlier this year.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
The thing I heard loudest and clearest is that Chris was pining for a manual in both......
No escaping the truth.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:59 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best drifting car ever ...458 S ?

Last edited by rockitman; 11-26-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:27 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Both cars are press cars; you'll see the numberplates repeated in other tests. Car magazine drove that same Ferrari (458 FNE) in their comparo with a blue GT3; Chris drove that GT3 (911 GB) on the same track (Anglesey) against an Aston Martin and a Black Series earlier this year.
Porsche UK has used that 911 GB plate on their press cars for many many years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chris Harris' 991 GT3 vs 458 Speciale video