Sponsored by:

My GT3 Build - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:24 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts
Default My GT3 Build - Thoughts?

After a few months of going back and forth, I was convinced this week to add a GT3 after spending some more meaningful time in one owned by a friend of mine. I want to thank the numerous RLers who have helped me either with this decision or with my selection of options (silverrules, nateoz, z356, suzy991, lexvan and several others). The car will mostly be for weekend mountain driving. I know you all have looked at and discussed numerous GT3 builds, but any thoughts on my build below would be appreciated. In particular, if there is something critical I've missed, please say so. In addition, I am still not sure if I need to add either the telephone module or the telephone module with bluetooth handset, as I'd like to make and receive hands-free calls via my iPhone in the car, but my RL searches on this issue have left me unsure. A final and rather minor issue is if the "instrument surround in leather" (XNG) at $370 is worth it, as, admittedly, I'm not 100% sure what this area constitutes. Here is the build. Thanks in advance.

911 GT3 $130,400

Exterior Color
Carrara White Metallic 2Y $710

Interior Color
Leather Interior in Black/Alcantara w/ Stitching in Platinum Grey 78 $3,480

Exterior
Extended Range Fuel Tank 082 $0

Performance
Front Axle Lift System 474 $3,490

Wheels
Wheels Painted in Silver 346 $325

Interior
Floor Mats 810 $0
Smoking Package 583 $0
Lightweight Bucket Seats P11 $4,730

Interior Leather
Instrument Surround in Leather XNG $370
Steering Column Casing in Leather XNS $465
Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in Leather CZW $1,720
SportDesign Steering Wheel in Leather 840 $0
Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara CLP $690

Interior Alcantara
Storage Compartment Lid in Alcantara® with 'PORSCHE' Logo XLG $330

Audio and Communications
SiriusXM Sat. Radio Receiver (NavTraffic/NavWeather i.c.w. PCM) 686 $750
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module P23 $0
Sound Package Plus 490 $700

Total: $149,155
Old 11-08-2014, 03:39 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ looks killer to me.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

You won't need the telephone module. My iPhone works via Bluetooth with no issues.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:35 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good.

Assuming you read the thread on option 686, the XM antenna was on the roof of 14s, here is a 15 that was just delivered - looks like the XM antenna stayed in the same location.

Ryan

Last edited by reidry; 11-08-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:09 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider the internet option for the radio. Really works nice. You have the option on the PCM to switch from your iPod or iPhone music to the Aha app on your phone. Free internet stations. In addition you see the album cover when you play the music from the app or from your phone.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Consider the internet option for the radio. Really works nice. You have the option on the PCM to switch from your iPod or iPhone music to the Aha app on your phone. Free internet stations. In addition you see the album cover when you play the music from the app or from your phone.
Does it really work that well? I've heard the opposite and that it's so clunky to use that folks just stream bluetooth audio instead.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:15 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skuplist
I added the online services. Between the USB port, the line in jack and the aha app or pandora via Bluetooth I felt there were plenty of options for tunes. For traffic I use waze on phone or if I have a passenger an iPad.

Ryan
Old 11-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Really nice build. White with silver wheels looks great! I would consider killing the "Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara." This option includes very minor pieces of leather that are not visible when the doors are closed. See the details on the configurator. I would consider adding leather trim on the center console to compliment the dash, steering column and wheel. Looks great!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:23 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Does it really work that well? I've heard the opposite and that it's so clunky to use that folks just stream bluetooth audio instead.
It took it a while for the computer to figure it out. I guess going from Germany to US got it confused! But now I love it. You have to plug it in by USB but it works great. You have full control on the PCM and the graphics are cool since it shows album cover in the corner. In addition I skipped Sirius and have a Sirius app on my phone so full satellite radio over the internet without the bump on the roof. I will take some screen shots and post them tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Nice build but I would scratch the instrument surround in leather and the extended door because it really does not give you a whole lot.

I would opt instead to get the fixture around he vents done in the leather where more stitching will be highlighted. I do not know what option that is but some one displayed it on one of the treads.

As for the wart for the satellite - I do not like the wart but to each their ow
Old 11-08-2014, 06:34 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Aha with iPhone must be plugged into USB, dealer says Android works over bluetooth.

Ryan
Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Aha with iPhone must be plugged into USB, dealer says Android works over bluetooth.

Ryan
Surely you jest! There's no iPhone connectivity over BT?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lodi
Surely you jest! There's no iPhone connectivity over BT?
That's not what I said. I was speaking specifically about the AHA radio app that is part of the online services. For full integration and control the iPhone must be plugged into the USB port.

The iPhone will of course play audio over the Bluetooth interface but control is then performed on the phone, not via the PCM.

According to my dealer the AHA app allows control of AHA stations on an Android phone without plugging the phone into the USB port.

Ryan
Old 11-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
That's not what I said. I was speaking specifically about the AHA radio app that is part of the online services. For full integration and control the iPhone must be plugged into the USB port.

The iPhone will of course play audio over the Bluetooth interface but control is then performed on the phone, not via the PCM.

According to my dealer the AHA app allows control of AHA stations on an Android phone without plugging the phone into the USB port.

Ryan
Be warned that supposedly AHA radio is going to start pushing audio ads in the middle of the content streams, similar to free Pandora or iTunes Radio accounts.

I'll be doing my streaming over bluetooth via iTunes Radio or Pandora with a paid yearly fee ad-free, thank you.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:52 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mech33
Be warned that supposedly AHA radio is going to start pushing audio ads in the middle of the content streams, similar to free Pandora or iTunes Radio accounts.

I'll be doing my streaming over bluetooth via iTunes Radio or Pandora with a paid yearly fee ad-free, thank you.
No worries, bluetooth streaming is always ad free

Ryan

Quick Reply: My GT3 Build - Thoughts?