Sponsored by:

How common are crashes at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Let me clarify: I saw a red GT3 *that got munched* on that same turn (didn't see it happen live, but was at the event where it happened). It was HOD event at Laguna last August 1st. Drooled over the car at the start of the event, and saw it getting towed away with the entire back / side crunched in towards the end of the day. I asked some folks what happened, and they said the car fishtailed coming out of turn 11 and hit the inside wall.

Here's the "before" pic:

I can't find the "after" pic.
I was there that day. The only damage to that red GT3 that day was from the diverter pipe melting the bumper and a blown tire from hitting a curb. If the picture was pointed slightly more left, my car would be in the picture as I was parked next to the white Cayman S that day. The owner of that red GT3 is on this forum and I can assure you, he never hit a wall.

The GT3 that hit the inside wall at 11 that day was a yellow 996 GT3

Last edited by orthojoe; 10-31-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 AM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Is there a back story on this crash? Perhaps a link?

Ryan
Only heard the driver was ok.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I was there that day. The only damage to that red GT3 that day was from the diverter pipe melting the bumper and a blown tire from hitting a curb. If the picture was pointed slightly more left, my car would be in the picture as I was parked next to the white Cayman S that day. The owner of that red GT3 is on this forum and I can assure you, he never hit a wall.

The GT3 that hit the inside wall at 11 that day was a yellow 996 GT3
Hmm I must be mixing up the GT3s! Are you sure that red one didn't sustain some damage to at least one of the wheels? I would have sworn something happened to it and it was down for the count with visible damage. As for the yellow one, that must have been the one I was remembering (found the pic):

[pics removed]

Last edited by Mech33; 10-31-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

That's the one....
Old 10-31-2014, 01:04 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Those diverter pipes do scare me. Has anyone had success with them and had them not melt anything? Where do people get them install in NorCal?
Old 10-31-2014, 01:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hmm I must be mixing up the GT3s! Are you sure that red one didn't sustain some damage to at least one of the wheels? I would have sworn something happened to it and it was down for the count with visible damage. As for the yellow one, that must have been the one I was remembering (found the pic):
Positive. I know the owner. Simply a blown tire after dropping a wheel off at the exit of 9 IIRC. Nothing else. They were swapping wheels that day so he could drive back home.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:16 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Positive. I know the owner. Simply a blown tire after dropping a wheel off at the exit of 9 IIRC. Nothing else. They were swapping wheels that day so he could drive back home.
In fact, I recall him posting about it on this forum.
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Those diverter pipes do scare me. Has anyone had success with them and had them not melt anything? Where do people get them install in NorCal?
I think the problem with the supertrapp setup in this instance is that the exhaust is diverted perpendicular to the exit of the pipe, so you're blowing right into the bumper.
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
In fact, I recall him posting about it on this forum.
Your memory is correct.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

I think there are a lot of factors that determine potential for accident, probably similar to one's potential for accidents on the street. Some are conservative; some are risk takers. Some have talent; some (ok many) don't. Add to that mechanical failures of one's own car and then failures of others. Now you need a statistician to come up with your odds.

For my data point, i've done 50+ track days in about 10 years. I've had no accidents; 1 close call at Autoclub; maybe 10 partial and full offs. I'm happy to report I've never seen anyone fatally or critically injured at an event. I've seen maybe 10 significant accidents but without serious injury. In my street driving, I've had one at fault accident in 30 years of driving (at 17) and it was bad. it taught me respect for cars. Hope that helps.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I was there
red car had melting bumper and tire issue, not hitting wall.

pls remove the pic of the yellow car. it is one of my cars. if I wanted it public, I would have posted it myself!

in general, if it's not your car, it is bad form to post any damaged cars or taking pictures of it on track or on the street for that matter. u will understand what I mean when u hit the wall. and I guarantee u that u will hit the wall one day. all track drivers either has hit things or will be hitting things. some of us hit many things with many cars. I speak from experience. pls do not track any car u cannot write off bc u will hit things. and do NOT assume ur insurance will cover u. it's a tough uphill battle.

with regard to original question, one car per weekemd is the average of destruction for DE. been doing this a long time. what I wrote above u will find to be accurate.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I think there are a lot of factors that determine potential for accident, probably similar to one's potential for accidents on the street. Some are conservative; some are risk takers. Some have talent; some (ok many) don't. Add to that mechanical failures of one's own car and then failures of others. Now you need a statistician to come up with your odds.

For my data point, i've done 50+ track days in about 10 years. I've had no accidents; 1 close call at Autoclub; maybe 10 partial and full offs. I'm happy to report I've never seen anyone fatally or critically injured at an event. I've seen maybe 10 significant accidents but without serious injury. In my street driving, I've had one at fault accident in 30 years of driving (at 17) and it was bad. it taught me respect for cars. Hope that helps.
+1.

I'll throw in my 2 cents and add that 90% of the incidents that occur could have been avoided if the driver had not tried to 'save it' and instead just driving straight off. When you hook a car, it's nearly impossible to save. Too much emphasis on trying to drive faster, and not enough time spent trying to learn what to do when things aren't going right.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:36 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I was there
red car had melting bumper and tire issue, not hitting wall.

pls remove the pic of the yellow car. it is one of my cars. if I wanted it public, I would have posted it myself!

in general, if it's not your car, it is bad form to post any damaged cars or taking pictures of it on track or on the street for that matter. u will understand what I mean when u hit the wall. and I guarantee u that u will hit the wall one day. all track drivers either has hit things or will be hitting things. some of us hit many things with many cars. I speak from experience. pls do not track any car u cannot write off bc u will hit things. and do NOT assume ur insurance will cover u. it's a tough uphill battle.

with regard to original question, one car per weekemd is the average of destruction for DE. been doing this a long time. what I wrote above u will find to be accurate.
Pics removed.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

thank u much.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:38 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There has been a tragic accident this year, as we lost a 991 GT3 RL member, aka "igirl".

Quick Reply: How common are crashes at the track?